DOA5U Patch updates incoming

Posting from the just now complete Official Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Tournament, Hayashi announced that at the end of January there will be a patch to the Arcade version of the game. In February, the consoles will receive said arcade patch sans Marie Rose. Marie Rose will be available on console some time in the spring.

I know how to play the game, and I know how it works but that doesn't mean the game isn't flawed.

Honestly? It really just sounds like you'll never be satisfied with the game, no matter what's changed or tweaked. Not just you though, it seems majority here are the same way because it's been complaint after complaint since the beginning of DOA5 Vanilla (as in, before that game was even patched at all).

Every fighting game today has flaws, this is NOT subject to DOA only.

I don't really believe you actually understand how DOA works, because if you did, then you would realize things you're asking for requires the game to be reworked from the ground up a fair amount (not entirely but quite a bit).

Play the game, study it some more, and learn to make the best with what you and your character(s) can do.

Last edited:
@Brute , Pai's speed is irrelevant when it comes to her stances. Yes, she's fast outside of her stance, but as soon as she goes into it, she's stuck with slow ass moves, most of which are throw punishable.

I know she's a fast character, that's why she has so few + moves on block. But that's no reason to make her stances worse than those of the rest of the cast.

You're right - Pai can probably tie or beat out Ryu when he's in his ongyoin stance considering her speed, but EVERYONE can beat out Pai when she goes into any single one of her stances, and they don't even have to use their 9/11/13 frame hits either. Her stances (namely BKT) aren't even fantastic, either. No amazing throws, no mid evasion, no guard breaks or utility, so why letting us go into it on block is so bad, I don't understand.

Giving her just - one - neutral or safe stance transition would mean we wouldn't have to revolve around P P 9K 2P P 6P poking to open someone up. It's hardly a matter of making her better, since as it currently stands, we just avoid going into her stances until a combo's started. But rather it'd mean we wouldn't have to rely strictly on an annoying (and relatively boring) poke/throw game to do something. We could always fall back on that, and quite frankly, it'd still be superior to trying any mixup with her BKT considering how large the disadvantage of her moves out of that stance are, but at least we could use them a little more often.

so does anyone know if the rumor about the patch is nerfing Ayane, Kasumi, Momiji and Alpha? I have no idea how people would know this but this rumor has been all around psn, anybody have a source or proof?

Play the game, study it some more, and learn to make the best with what you and your character(s) can do.

It's hard to study a character with broken inputs. It's being patched because the game needs it. I'm more concerned about Ein than my own character, and if I was a serious Ein player; I would be taking this patch to heart, and if they didn't fix the obvious, I would certainly stop playing the game.

Is it not kind of crazy that they add Ein to the game, he's a big expense to Ultimate, and they bust him? That being said, at least Ein is in the game. Tengu was scrapped because Team Ninja realized they would actually be required to work hard on his model, and is a lot more unique than the other characters added animation and visually. Not to take away from the other awesome characters of course.

My guess is they didn't have time to add him. But then again there is that pointless Leon title that says "Don't give a damn about Tengu..."

so does anyone know if the rumor about the patch is nerfing Ayane, Kasumi, Momiji and Alpha? I have no idea how people would know this but this rumor has been all around psn, anybody have a source or proof?

No proof, and they don't need nerfed.

Honestly? It really just sounds like you'll never be satisfied with the game, no matter what's changed or tweaked. Not just you though, it seems majority here are the same way because it's been complaint after complaint since the beginning of DOA5 Vanilla (as in, before that game was even patched at all).

Every fighting game today has flaws, this is NOT subject to DOA only.

I don't really believe you actually understand how DOA works, because if you did, then you would realize things you're asking for requires the game to be reworked from the ground up a fair amount (not entirely but quite a bit).

Quite the opposite, by some divine miracle TN gives everyone plus frames on NH for moves that don't stun (Once again, there's no justifiable reason for ANYONE to be at minus frames on hit), increase duck speed, and make EVERY throw breakable, I'd be quite alright with that.

No shit every game has flaws, but when I'm blocking a mid, high string, hit :1: to duck the high, and STILL get hit by the high, that's a problem. Or how about this, why the fuck am I at minus frames when I clearly punched you in the face and it wasn't a CH? Again, a problem

Quite the opposite, by some divine miracle TN gives everyone plus frames on NH for moves that don't stun (Once again, there's no justifiable reason for ANYONE to be at minus frames on hit), increase duck speed, and make EVERY throw breakable, I'd be quite alright with that.

No shit every game has flaws, but when I'm blocking a mid, high string, hit :1: to duck the high, and STILL get hit by the high, that's a problem. Or how about this, why the fuck am I at minus frames when I clearly punched you in the face and it wasn't a CH? Again, a problem

Learn how to fuzzy guard, problem solved. Throws are not breakable because it's this game form of guaranteed punishment.

First off, no. Not every throw should be breakable. It ruins the notion of throw-punishing when the enemy can see it coming and resets everything to neutral.

Now, I do agree that the ducking speed needs to be improved, although with the situation you provided, maybe think of other options like low-jabbing during the transition or holding high to punish.

As for being negative on NH, just keep trying things out. If other players can do it, so can you.

First off, no. Not every throw should be breakable. It ruins the notion of throw-punishing when the enemy can see it coming and resets everything to neutral.

Now, I do agree that the ducking speed needs to be improved, although with the situation you provided, maybe think of other options like low-jabbing during the transition or holding high to punish.

As for being negative on NH, just keep trying things out. If other players can do it, so can you.

1. If the throw is being used a punish then no, it shouldn't be breakable, but you're rushing someone down and decided to scoop em up, then yes you should be able to break em.

2. There is nothing I can do after I get a hit and it doesn't stun outside of sidestepping

1. If the throw is being used a punish then no, it shouldn't be breakable, but you're rushing someone down and decided to scoop em up, then yes you should be able to break em.

2. There is nothing I can do after I get a hit and it doesn't stun outside of sidestepping

The more you speak, the further you validate my earlier points about you not understanding the game. Deathofaninja liking that response also proves he has no understanding of the game either.

1) Has nothing to do with the game, it's a personal issue, your issue. If players are able to run in and successfully throw you, that's because they are breaking your defense and you are not doing anything at all to keep a player out of throw range. This isn't a problem within' the game, this is just a telling that your own defense is lacking (and defense is huge in DOA).

2) Not every attack is supposed to stun you, that would be silly and DOA would be heavily mash friendly and would not involve intelligent play at all. The game is about fishing for counter hits for stun and other various ways of opening up your opponent.

The training mode and Move Details are there for a reason. Take time out for training mode and actually better familiarize yourself with move and stun/hit properties. On normal hit, counter hit, AND hi counter hit.

Wait people want ducking speed increased?

You know what needs a major buff? I just want to view damage info and not have half the screen lost to a black bar in practice mode... can we have that please?

Can Kokoro just get buffed please? :kokoro: I want 236 P+K P to track and I would like her to get PP T•T back from 4. That's all I want. Please

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD