DOA5U Patch updates incoming

Posting from the just now complete Official Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Tournament, Hayashi announced that at the end of January there will be a patch to the Arcade version of the game. In February, the consoles will receive said arcade patch sans Marie Rose. Marie Rose will be available on console some time in the spring.

That sounds more like you just stop caring rather than you beleive the changes were actually better. that's not exactly healthy for a game either.

No, that means you further explore what you haven't before to see what's really changed and if anything is beneficial from it or not. Which is what players are supposed to do anyway.

I'm the reason why Ayane players here were probably one of the first among character forums who stopped complaining because all I did was explore this character and share my findings. So they realize that this character was infact "not nerfed" or bad at all.

I already admitted earlier that I was one who complained about the change in ground game. But I stopped that and took time to figure it out and a lot of other things.

Anyway...

On topic: I'm more intrigued about the upcoming patch notes. Whether there are any actual character balance changes or not (there doesn't really need to be any right now), I'm more concerned about actual general system changes.

Last edited:
I could say "screw it" to any of the changes I think Pai needs if they just give her ONE +frame stance transition. I mean, is that really too much to ask for? I don't care if it's 2P+K, 4K2, 3P4, whatever, just give us one way to go into a stance that doesn't require a stun first.

I'm not sure, but I think she's the only stance-based character that doesn't have any + transitions.

I could say "screw it" to any of the changes I think Pai needs if they just give her ONE +frame stance transition. I mean, is that really too much to ask for? I don't care if it's 2P+K, 4K2, 3P4, whatever, just give us one way to go into a stance that doesn't require a stun first.

I'm not sure, but I think she's the only stance-based character that doesn't have any + transitions.
Pai can get a +transition when her neutral game isn't perpetually carrying +frames.

It doesn't. Not even her P is +, just neutral. She has very few + frames in her arsenal, and most of her good pokes are between -6 and -2

It doesn't. Not even her P is +, just neutral. She has very few + frames in her arsenal, and most of her good pokes are between -6 and -2
My comment was regarding the fact that she's faster than nearly everyone in the neutral game. It's as if she inherently has +2 at all times, hence the 11 frame mid rather than the typical 13 frame mid or 14 frame mid the VFs had in VF.

So your point is that fast characters don't deserve + stance transitions, or even safe ones for that matter (most of hers are punishable)?

Besides, her speed came at the cost of damage anyways. No reason to always hold that against her when it's been taken care of.

My point is that characters who are fast and have a lot of mix-ups gain a lot more from even a +1 than most characters do. For example, Ryu has only two +frame transitions into his stance.
33P4 is +1. Given that his fastest mid from ongyoin is 15 frames, this gives him a 14 frame mid. Not impressive at all. Pai having blocked this still has the advantage for all hit levels. It also provides heavy pushback, making it's pressure potential odd to say the least.
66K is +4. Given his fastest mid, again, is 15, he's still only tying with a Pai/Sarah mid even with that guard break, and is very susceptible to being low poked out. His follow-ups are also either heavily unsafe or heavily telegraphed. His mix-up potential and crushes from his stance are nothing compared to the amount of options Pai has.

So other, slower characters aren't getting +frames to even match her neutral game with their transitions, and yet you feel Pai needs even more advantage with hers?

I think there needs to be some smart way to implement + on hit. I understand the reason why things are negative on hit right now but that doesn't make it an acceptable practice IMO. I find it extremely silly when I hit someone with Ein's 3P on NH and I'm left at -2 which forces me to take a defensive action even though I just hit somebody. And to anyone that tries to counter this argument with "You have strings; If someone hits you with PP smart thing to do is block." Yes. It is the smart thing to do. Does that mean every player is going to hold block after they get hit on NH? No; especially when they don't have any real reason to other than "He might finish a string." The way things are now its like "I got hit; Should I defend or not? I might be able to get a counter hit if he free-canceled." :confused: instead of "Oh shit I got hit! Gotta do something defensive to escape from the oncoming offense!" :eek:. I'm sorry but I just can't get behind the former.

And @Brute that's just an issue with some frame traps in general. Some of them suck ass and have you condition the opponent instead of having the opponent completely respect you and allowing for 50 / 50 strike or throw. This actually makes sense on quick moves with + frames like 2P or some of the slower characters jabs. In other cases it's dumb IMO. For example I get +1 on my 236K which is a 30+ frame free steppable reactable mid kick. After bypassing the risk of it getting held or evaded I still don't have enough advantage to flat out beat people with 9 frame jabs and 11 frame mids consistently because I have to condition them to do a low if I want to hit with my mid or condition them to do a mid when I want to get a CH off my jab. This wouldn't be that bad if 236K was a move that could be done and landed consistently in a fight. Since it can't it just makes it a mediocre frame trap.

Then on slow ass characters like Bass and slow characters like Rachel you load them with negative guard breaks and moves that are just +1. What is +1 going to do for Bass or Rachel against Christie or Kasumi? They don't have to respect that shit. IMO the numbers on some guard breaks and some frame traps need to be addressed and some way to implement +frames on hit should be considered.

Ayane players here were probably one of the first among character forums who stopped complaining.
Oi oi oi. There were no complaints on the Zack character forums (Probably because there's no one on it) lol haha. I know what you mean though, especially about the Okizeme get-up. I just found out ways around it. Though I still would prefer Vanilla's, I wouldn't mind if it stayed the same.

Or...here's a suggestion. You could learn how to play the game and learn how the game works.

Seems like more of the members of this forum that complain so much are players that don't understand how this game works, lol.

The fact that people are STILL whinning about okizeme after 4 months just says most of you don't study the game outside of combos and critical burst set ups.

I know how to play the game, and I know how it works but that doesn't mean the game isn't flawed.

I hope TN buffs bass, thats all i want.

But in all honesty, i expect nothing from this patch.
Don't worry about it.

Then on slow ass characters like Bass and slow characters like Rachel you load them with negative guard breaks and moves that are just +1. What is +1 going to do for Bass or Rachel against Christie or Kasumi? They don't have to respect that shit. IMO the numbers on some guard breaks and some frame traps need to be addressed and some way to implement +frames on hit should be considered.

I realized a long time ago that Bass' minus frame GBs are GBs due to the animation being so long that if it were -4 without the guard break, the opponent would feel like theyre irresponsive due to block stun. For example, look at any of the +0 on guard attacks for the vf characters such as Akira's 2H+KP.It's +0 but it feels like +10. Even then he really only has two GBs that are minus, and both are safe: power gong variants, and axe kick. All other GB attacks are plus.

Last edited:
Even if it feels +9000, it's +0 which means he loses to Kasumi, Christie, etc after breaking their guard.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD