FSD Awards (2013)

Julius Rage

546108_628638150486323_1274168222_n-jpg.1066

2013 may very well go down as the biggest year in history of the Dead or Alive community.

The competition level is at an all time high; the offline tournament scene has been rejuvenated and the series core gameplay has been refined to a point where many of the staunchest detractors of the series have begun to recognize the skill set it takes to reach the upper echelon of the competitive scene.

We've seen new players in XCaLibur BLadeZ; in Electrified Mann; in CrazySteady, cement their names in the top tier discussion.

Contenders from years past like Rikuto, Sweet Revenge and Lopedo who have proven in the biggest matches and on the largest platforms that skill and tactic transcends any kind of generational gap.

Individuals like Mr. Wah, Emperor Cow and Rabies setting the example and proving that you don't have to be a tournament champion, a top level player or event an online regular to contribute positively to this community.

On top of that we've seen a marked change in the general attitudes displayed on this very website. A site which has seen enough technical expansions and upgrades that it in and of itself could be called brand new. As a result, Freestepdodge is increasingly becoming a destination for both the hardcore and the casual, bridging a gap that has long since divided our (not so) little corner of the fighting game community for years.

So…with all of this positive momentum I figured that it was time we started recognizing the best this team of ours has to offer.​

Below you will find links to Six separate threads in which you will be asked to nominate and discuss selections for FSD’s inaugural “Steppie Awards”.

Character of the Year

Tournament of the Year

Match of the Year

Online Contributor of the Year

Offline Contributor of the Year

Fighter of the year

You may, if you wish, decide to drop in give your opinion and scoot on out but I encourage you to explain and debate your nomination, as well as those of other FSD participants.

At the end of the week we’ll take all of the nominations for each category and post them into a locked thread.

The voting process will be secret, in that only a select few will know the tally.

The winners will be announced on December 30th!

P.S This is NOT the Royal Rumble....
2hrkabc.gif

Keep it clean!

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Could you be a bit more specific what you're looking for in each category? What do you mean by "Fighter" and "Character"?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I think the Fall Classic was tournament of the year. So many hype matches especially since this was before DOA5U came out. The Alpha mirror matches with Lopedo and Xcalibur Bladez in the finals were awesome and Sweet Revenge, MASTER, and Rikuto had some good matches there as well. Of course, I wasn't actually AT any of the tournaments so I can't testify for anything related to that.

Lopedo vs. Xcalibur Bladez as match of the year BTW.

Still deciding between Sweet Revenge, Xcalibur Bladez, and MASTER as fighter of the year. Sweet Revenge is a beast especially now that 5U has come out. MASTER has done some amazing stuff this year with the Hayabusa combo video (just beating Emperor Cow's Leon video as the best DOA combo video ever) and discovering lots of cool tech/combos for Hayabusa in 5U. Xcalibur was especially strong for the first half of the year, winning that last DOA5 tourney (or second-to-last?) and still strong in second half with 5U. I'll get back to you on this one.

Undecided for now on the other categories as well.

Please post each of your nominations in their respective categories.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Well, I've posted all my nominations with explanations in all the topics. This has been a great year for DOA. Good job to everyone that worked hard.

Julius Rage

Where is the thread/category for Community Member of the Year?

From what was being discussed in the Forum Contributor thread I felt that the title of "Offline Contributor" fit better.

Also, when I get a chance, I'm going to switch the name of the Forum Contributor thread to Online Contributor.

That way, the things that you do for DOA at Shoryuken and the massive amount of video content a guy like Master Fighter puts up on youtube can be apperciated.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD