Why should DOA5 NOT have a 6-Point Hold system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harris

OK. So what's your strategy?

Holds = High risk and Low reward... smh... I can't believe that situation actually sits well with certain DOA players...Some of you want to nerf Holds, so bad, to the point where there'll be literally NO POINT in performing Holds at all. Would anyone here invest money or time in a venture that offers High Risks and Low Rewards? I wouldn't. Turning Holds into a fool's investment is simply ridiculous, a.k.a. the brain-death of the Hold system. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is THAT what you want? For Holds to be so weak and risky that they become an unsound decision?

I understand that 3-pt Holds were frowned upon by certain players for being Low Risk/High Reward. But asking TN to do the exact opposite (High Risk/Low Reward) isn't reasonable either.
For Holds to make sense, and therefore justify their existence, they either have to be High Risk/High Reward, or Low Risk/Low Reward. Basta. Because that High Risk/Low Reward thing will eventually lead to the Hold system's euthanasia. #PullThePlugOnThatBitch

The hold in past DoA's were never high risk/ low reward (I think this is what you meant).

The hold was virtually low risk and high reward.

For something to be high risk there has to be a very significant backlash to it. There was no backlash to holds because unless you were a Jedi you could never react to it to punish it "consistently". Yes if I read you like a book then I could do tons of damage. However we don't live on fantasy island so to do an absurd amount of holds in a single round is insane to call it high risk.

The second bolded part is exactly what people want. It should be a tool used to make a good read or react to something. Not go "Crap I got hit, low hold because he can't react to it anyway". Now before anyone comes in and says "well people low hold on me all the time and I just throw them" once again when you are stuck playing offline with solid competition the low hold isn't punished that much because it happens at a MUCH faster pace. Beating up on your buddy you have been playing for 5 years doesn't count as punishing the low hold 80% of the time.

The hold needs to be how an SRK is or a reversal so to speak. You can do it and it will get you out the fire BUT when you guess wrong big punishment is on the way. Not a tool that can be used so easily as a direction and a button with very little consequence. Think of it that way before you think they are killing the precious game of counters that everyone wants as their crutch.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
You never traveled for DoA4 and supported that game when you THOUGHT you liked it
However you had people that disliked the game and traveled for it. Traveled to it's 30 man majors while you claimed to like the game
Again you insist on making things up. When did I ever claim to like DOA4? Even though I didn't completely comprehend that game's flaws at the time, I always felt that something was off. For a while, I thought it was just my inexperience but it turned out that the game is actually flawed and now I feel burned for wasting any time on it.

Even then though, I tried to do local stuff. I went to Dead of Winter once, which we have crossed paths at once, I couldn't attend the one the year after due to scheduling at work but I tried to help out a fellow DOA member going to that event by picking them up from the airport when someone else got held up. I've even played casuals with JO at one point, though never again since he stole from me. Lately I've played some casuals in 3.1, 4 and 5 with Kobayashi.

Traveling is expensive, and since I'm not good enough to the point where I can get sponsored and paid to travel, I'd like DOA to get good enough and have a big enough scene so I can have a great local scene. Being a teenager with only a part-time retail job and trying to pay for full time college also hindered things but despite having regular work now, I still can't travel. I'm in the process of losing my home. Are you going to point the finger at me for that too? I would have loved to have gone to DiD last year and meet TN, a $500+ roundtrip ticket hindered that. I was supposed to go to Japan this year too but a $1500 ticket hindered that as well. I would like to travel for DOA but it's hard to justify traveling for a game that's never been really seen in a good light or had great turn-outs. How can I justify spending $X when only a handful of other people might show up? Especially when money's tight?

Even when I allegedly "loved" DOA4, I didn't fully comprehend why but I saw that other people weren't happy with the game and I thought it could be salvaged. Over four years ago, I went and (with some help) tried to mod DOA4 to be more playable and worked on this on and off for over two years and spent a fair amount of money trying to accomplish this. In the end, I gave up on the project because even if I could fix the game, I would have no platform to distribute it to other people.

What does that have to do with DoA5? You claim you don't want to support a game you don't like when you didn't support a game you did like. Congratz bro
Your entire argument is based on information you made up. "Congratz bro" right back at you. Granted, even if DOA5 ends up being the best and most solid fighting game ever, I probably wouldn't be able to travel or travel to much but I would like support it in other ways. Like putting together an informative podcast for instance... but I would really love to have some local stuff going on so I could play decent people offline. "If I at least had some regular local stuff going then I'd be set."

They have addressed the holds frequency just not as much as we wanted. You speak as if there aren't any changes to the game what so ever.
Again, not true. Almost every single time I've argued, I opened up with "Don't get me wrong, DOA5 is definitely an improvement over DOA4 and Dimensions but..." The hold has absolutely been improved, there's no question. You must be really dunce to think that I'm not aware of that. I just don't think Team Ninja has gone far enough to fix it and that's what all my comments revolve around. I'm constantly pushing for more change that will positively affect the game.

2. Can't hold in limbo stun
Just nit-picking but this hasn't actually been tested so we don't know for sure.

What exactly would you know about a games' flaws without someone telling you?
I'm sorry, you figured out everything you ever knew without someone explaining anything to you? Get real. I've made no attempt to hide the fact that I'm terrible at fighting games, which you seem to be implying the opposite of.

I've specifically stated on these forums and on my podcasts multiple times that I'm not that great a player and I'm dependent on better ones breaking down the game. I'm not alone, otherwise we wouldn't have people talking strats, combos, etc. We wouldn't need this forum specifically to talk about those things if we were all like Black "I figured out everything on my own" Mamba.

You haven't even played DOA5 yet, so how would you know anything about how the hold system works?
I've played the Alpha demo, like many people here. I've ever shared all the information I could about the game by finding and posting the actual hold numbers and other items. What have you done exactly to inform people on DOA5?

A little bit of more recovery has been added to holds. Though it is a very very small change, it still made a world of difference.
Not really and here's why...

For people who choose to counter out of every stun, they now risk being punished with something like, lets say, a launch.
The best form of punishment is still the throw. Recovery on a whiffed hold isn't like recovery on a blocked move. There's no visual clue as to when recovery starts on a whiffed hold, so when you throw out an attack you're still risking getting held during the active frames on the hold. When you block an attack, you clearly see your character's blocking animation and, if you have your frame data memorized, you'll know whether your opponent is plus or minus if you can punish.

Countering is not the best option out of stuns anymore. They put themselves at a legit risk now.
In the Alpha demo, the hold was 0/18/17 for most situations and more recently it's 0/17/13. How well can you read the whiffed hold animation so that you can avoid those 17 active frames and use a launcher that comes out in 13 frames or less? Or are you better off running in and throwing since you have a 30 frame window for that? 30 frames, that sounds familiar... 0/22/8 has been the standard for high/mid holds since DOA1 and that lasts a total of 30 frames. That's basically the same risk in DOA5 as it was in 1 through 4. As much as things changes, they still stay the same and, in this instance, throwing is still your best option. So before you tell me that I don't know how to play and I can't figure anything out on my own, you might want to reevaluate yourself because I just completely countered (pun intended) your argument with solid facts and numbers.

Even when you successfully counter an attack now, it's not even that much damage anymore.
The damage the hold put out was always an issue but it was just the extra slap in the face, while that's been amended, the real issue that the hold lets you easily escape so many situations that should be dangerous still remains. Though, again, some small strides have been made in that regard.

Also you got uncounterable stuns.
Which still don't guarantee a follow-up since you can stagger escape so easily and block. The Critical Burst is the exception to this but you already had to play the stun guessing game to get to that point. Again, I'll reiterate that I do feel this is an improvement, I just don't think it's going far enough is all. You people keep missing that point whenever I make it.

Then again, even after you get your hands on the game, you wouldn't even know how to play it properly or muster up a decent opinion on the game.
I've already addressed these ridiculous statements in this post so I won't again, I'll just point out what a fool you are.

Doug Nguyen

Okay Grap3 here's your problem,

- You never traveled for DoA4 and supported that game when you THOUGHT you liked it
However you had people that disliked the game and traveled for it. Traveled to it's 30 man majors while you claimed to like the game

What does that have to do with DoA5? You claim you don't want to support a game you don't like when you didn't support a game you did like. Congratz bro

- They have addressed the holds frequency just not as much as we wanted. You speak as if there aren't any changes to the game what so ever.
1. Can't hold in sit down stun
2. Can't hold in limbo stun
3. Can't hold in CB (granted you need to reach threshold)
4. Can't hold off the wall anymore
5. Recovery for the hold has been increased by quite a bit (again not as much as we want but it's good they increased it)
6. Hold damage nerfed significantly

Those 6 points makes me happy, i didnt know we actually have a lot of unholdable opportunities now. I always thought/forget sit down, wall stuns, limbo is unholdable. Did they confirm this and was it like that in DOA4?

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Actually the best form of hold punishment would be sitdown/cb/launch now except for in rare circumstances... possibly character dependent really. Which is kind of funny when you think about it but its definitely true.

If I tap someone with 3p, he holds, and I use the back breaker he'll end up losing about 35-40% total from the strike and the throw put together.

If I do the sitdown stun and all of that jazz to punish he's losing a minimum of 50%. Even if I skip the CB and do a shortbus launch its actually more damage than the high counter throw... kinda funny.

I think high-counter throws are going to be obsolete for a good chunk of characters after we get good at this game honestly. There are exceptions of course, throws that result in backturn status are still golden for obvious reasons.... but a lot of the straight damage throws aren't going to be as good as they used to be.

Well, thats my feeling anyway.

If I was fighting Bayman I would say randomly trying to counter that mid kick is probably the smartest thing a person could do, ironically. Even if you get called out on it and thrown, it can't possibly hurt you as much as the combo itself....

DR2K

Becuase of the way CB works I think holds in high level play are going to be less random in their useage.

Are there any CBs that can be evaded via low counter?

Raansu

Becuase of the way CB works I think holds in high level play are going to be less random in their useage.

Are there any CBs that can be evaded via low counter?

Well so far they have all been mids as far as I know.

Chris Harris

Now he had a "hunch" that DoA 4 was bad and he was about to start hating but wanted to salvage it. Let's be serious for a second, you were TOLD the game was bad and the reasoning behind it. So you went with it.

As far as your information on the hold is, we are clearly talking from peoples experiences and playing the alpha demo so your information is kinda whatever. As of what we have PLAYED and EXPERIENCED the hold is tolerable, however it would be sad. No idea where you are getting your information but until it is public, we can't really debate it as "you" are the only one with it.

The main issue with you is, you come to this site and you might as well be telling everyone to not buy the game because they didn't go with Grap3fruitman's idea of how to make the game better. You go to SRK and ask them why it's on their front page, like REALLY lol? You go to casual sites and put the game down, you're such a great person man. Like you are making the "extra" effort to go against the game. It's one thing to just give up on a game because they didn't do what you did, but you are going out of your way to bash it. Is that wrong or right?

And traveling to the DiD (last DiD or one before last with TN there) or some other recent event is not traveling for the game. I'm talking STRICTLY of when DoA(4) originally came out. Now if you were 12-17 I can understand why you were traveling the country because parents aren't gonna let that happen. I had a full time job, school, karate, karate tournaments, as well as playing DoA(4) as much as possible (and a social life with my friends), yet I still somehow found a way to travel this country. In reality those tournaments were the easiest because we always ended up just crashing at a players house for the tournament unless you were generally unliked. There were other players who also had life and things to do but they somehow found a way to travel to these very small tournaments and just play the game.

You don't have to reply to this because I'm 90% sure I won't read it and if I do it will be skimmed. This is me telling you that you are pretty close to being worse than Manny ever was with holding the game back. At least we know WHY he did what he does. Many are mad at him for taking those opportunities but after seeing what someone who was supposed to be on the good guys side is doing I can't really blame him for it haha

DR2K

Yeah Grap3 is the epotime of a troll, I have never seen anyone so hell bent on hating a game to his level. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's a whole different thing and a huge detriment to the entire community they way he constantly bad mouths the game at every level.Here's hoping DOA5 is perfect, for his sake.

FakeSypha

One of Zack's CBs was high at E3, but recent videos indicate it seems to be a mid now.
Speaking of Critical Bursts... how many of those are per character? so far most of them seem to be mid, right? At least from what was shown to us. I know you can't reveal some stuff and all that, so it's ok if you can't answer precisely.
I wasn't aware of Zack having 2 CBs. However, if my memory serves me well Tina has also 2. The 2nd one was seen on the last "combo balance test" video (was the last punch of :7::P::P::P:). So I assume that's a high.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Speaking of Critical Bursts... how many of those are per character? so far most of them seem to be mid, right? At least from what was shown to us. I know you can't reveal some stuff and all that, so it's ok if you can't answer precisely.
I wasn't aware of Zack having 2 CBs. However, if my memory serves me well Tina has also 2. The 2nd one was seen on the last "combo balance test" video (was the last punch of :7::P::P::P:). So I assume that's a high.

Most characters have one and they are mids. Tina and Zack were exceptions.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Let's be serious for a second, you were TOLD the game was bad and the reasoning behind it. So you went with it.
No, I just very recently gained an understanding of why DOA4 is so bad, well after my efforts to try and salvage it. How could I fix it anyway, when I didn't really understand the issues at hand? The tools to do the job were and still are severely lacking and, like I said before, there's no way to distribute the fix to people.

The main issue with you is, you come to this site and you might as well be telling everyone to not buy the game because they didn't go with Grap3fruitman's idea of how to make the game better.
No, that's not my issue at all. It's just your interpretation based on all those things you made up about me.

You go to SRK and ask them why it's on their front page, like REALLY lol?
Again, you're making stuff up. I asked why it was getting SO MUCH front page content on SRK, a site that's filled with people that never liked DOA. While I admire d3v and some of the SRK people's efforts to try and put DOA5 into a good light, I fear that trying to force DOA5 content down people's throat so much isn't the best route. When talking to Wah I often heard the comment from him, unsolicited, that he was sick of seeing Skullgirls content on SRK. I fear that others would feel the same for DOA5 because it's getting over-exposed to the point that when it's actually available, people will have no interest in it.

An article here and there about how the game's improving or a summary of recent announcements but every single time a screen shot comes out or a series regular gets revealed? That's content I would expect on a dedicated DOA site, like this one, not SRK which mainly caters to 2D players, specifically Capcom, but occasionally posts other fighting game news.

Did all 50+ characters in TTT2 get an individual front-page article? Did every character in SCV? They didn't despite those games being much more respected but the content that did go up was amazing and helped hype those games. Those two DOA5 combo videos that came out recently? I feel that if that had been the first DOA5 content on SRK in a while that they would have garnered much more positive interest rather than "Oh, another DOA article."

There were other players who also had life and things to do but they somehow found a way to travel to these very small tournaments and just play the game.
Other people with years of experience were much more dedicated to the game than someone just starting out? No kidding?

You don't have to reply to this because I'm 90% sure I won't read it and if I do it will be skimmed.
Great, you make up and sling shit but when I post factual evidence to the contrary you conveniently ignore it. How wonderful.

Yeah Grap3 is the epotime of a troll.
Yeah, I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Either word for that matter, the one you misspelled and the other one.

DR2K

Yeah, I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Either word for that matter, the one you misspelled and the other one.

I know the meaning, I've seen your posts in other forums. It's filled with hyprobole and opinions dressed up as facts. This is not how you bring in new players it's the total opposite, because your intention is to clearly drive people away from the series as a whole. I've never seen anyone in any fighitng game scene be so negative about their own game.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I think we drifted way out of topic here.

Grape is just as frustrated from the past DOAs as the next guy but he is doing everything to help out. Weather it is from helping with the site construction, to filling out the wiki, to getting us the info on holds before anyone. He DOES care! I'm not trying to speak for him or anything and God knows him and I disagree at almost every post. But, I do understand where he's coming from.

At the same time, I understand you guys also see that the problems with previous games are being addressed and that's a great thing, and in your eyes see no reason for Grape's negativity. But who's to know its completely enough or if we wont have new problems with all the shenanigans being thrown into the game. What I'm trying to say is that the fixes themselves might end up being the new problems. But, until we try we'll never know for sure. but it IS looking good and I am as happy about the changes as you guys.

Now lets go back to the topic ...

Holds have been nerfed in the alpha build by getting more recovery, less active frames, and less damage. it seems the active frames are still relatively short (being 18 instead of alpha's 17 but not older doa's 22) but the recovery was now reduced again making the total frames of a hold 30 again and not 35 like in the alpha demo. This means that the frequent spammability of holds from older DOAs has returned and I personally think this is a pretty shitty thing...

35 frames total for a hold in the alpha demo made it just perfect so that the frequency of the hold was less for one, and the punishability of the hold was far easier to land, and at the same time it wasn't too slow to make it redundant. The speed was perfect. In addition, during stun this allowed more slower moves to link as part of a new strategy in the offensive game. Without those 5 frames we are back to the DOA4 frequency and that kinda makes things shitty again....regardless of the length of active frames (although, i do acknowledge the importance of that as well)

I hope this is pointed out in the next IPL tournament and people notice the difference to address it.

The issue is not fricken 4 point or 6 point.... 6 point will never happen so get over it. The main issue is:
- active frames (been sorted)
- recovery (needs to be sorted)
- damage (variable from character to other it seems and damage is restricted to advanced holds so I consider this sorted)

so in order to make things perfect. I think holds need to go back to a total of 35 frames.

Can we please move on now ?

Come on you guys we're all mature enough here

DR2K

How am I supposed to ask for a better game without pointing out current flaws?

"Everything's perfect! No need to change anything from DOA4! Are you listening Team Ninja?"

Really? Here's a thread with over 300 posts that I didn't make, contribute much to or even read: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/dead-or-alive-5-remaining-issues.893/

Like everyone else here? What they don't do is attack DOA in general and try to steer potential players away. I have never seen that for any fighting game in any community no matter how bad the previous game/s turn out.

Look at the MK community they didn't get a competitive MK, each MK game after UMK3 was more broken than the last at every level until MK9, but they grouped together when Ed Boon and co reached out to the community in order to make a viable tournament worthy game.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Learn to evade you freaking pansies. Defense in Doa is no longer about the hold! In all seriousness, please learn other forms of defense, other wise, you may find yourself demolished come september 26th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD