Why should DOA5 NOT have a 6-Point Hold system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOrochi

The purpose of the this thread is NOT to promote the return to 3-pt Holds. Many discussions on this forum actually convinced me of the limitations of the 3-pt system. So, thanks for those who contributed.

However, I tried, but still cannot sit well with the 4-pt system because of how it defies logic (1 direction for High + Low attacks, but 2 directions for Mid attacks only o_0...).

At some point, I remember Rikuto mentioned a 6-pt Hold system, which made me flinch at first! But after reconsideration, it appears to be a great response to not only the unpopular mathematical odds and randomness/luck involved in holds, but also (and most importantly) to the illogical command inputs as well (2 directions for all attack levels).

So the question is : Why should DOA5 NOT have a 6-Point Hold system?
(Don't know if this particular topic has already been brought up, but I'd be interested to read more about it.)

Raansu

I'm all for a 6 point system but I really think the developers would consider that a bit overwhelming for many players. And a 4 point hold doesn't defy any logic, it makes perfect sense. The majority of setups and launchers are mid. Spend some time on doa4 then go play doad which has a 3 point hold system and you will be pulling your hair out.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I would rather have three-point with the timing on the holds being really strict while also introducing more situations where you can't hold. Six-point is too intimidating for more casual players and the only reason they've been clamoring for four-point is because they don't actually understand the flaws of the hold are the huge active frames and your ability to hold in so many situations.

Xion

I like the 4 point system, a tight window and no hold stuns are what I would root for.

DrDogg

It's a bit late for this kind of topic. It's highly unlikely we'll see any kind of change to the hold system at this point. At least not adding/removing holds.

I would not mind a 6-point, but like others have said, it would be very intimidating to the casual crowd. Even if they added an option to switch between 4-point and 6-point (similar to DOA2), tournaments would have to run on 4-point because a lot of people wouldn't show if you did 6-point.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yea its likely too late to change that, but obviously I would have preferred 6 point. My preferred method of execution would have been 3 point parries outside of stun, and 6 point holds inside of stun.

But as it is currently, it's functional... so best not to do anything crazy this late in the game.

AKNova7

Yea its likely too late to change that, but obviously I would have preferred 6 point. My preferred method of execution would have been 3 point parries outside of stun, and 6 point holds inside of stun.

But as it is currently, it's functional... so best not to do anything crazy this late in the game.

6 point is kind of insane. Characters with crushes would be played through the roof.

DrDogg

6 point is kind of insane. Characters with crushes would be played through the roof.

I don't think so. Holds take on a much bigger role during a stun. You can't crush anything with an attack while you're stunned.

AKNova7

I don't think so. Holds take on a much bigger role during a stun. You can't crush anything with an attack while you're stunned.

I figured you'd say that.

The game would be better off being played without the shitty stun system, so everything doesn't stun and you can't hold in the middle of stuns anyway, so things are actually guaranteed, so six point holds aren't necessary.

That game took balls, I'll give it that, but that's a bad marketing decision to make the game like that, in my opinion. DOA's saving grace has always been that it's fun to multiple levels, so business wise, it's sold well, even DOA4, it's worse game. Doing this would be doing the absolute opposite, and trying to depend on competitive players who, probably don't like holding in stun anyway.

BlackOrochi

Yeah, it's probably late in production to have this debate... But if the main thing holding back TN is the fear that casual players won't pick it up, hope is still alive... Just like Shimbori said before settling for 4pt, casual players would just need a little practice in the new beefed up Practice mode.

Thanks for your insights :)

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
4 is good enough. 6 is a little excessive. Keep the special holds like Lei Fang's for that.

It isn't excessive at all. In fact it doesn't even decrease your odds of being correct for most of the cast.

If your character only has two good launching options or two good stun extenders, your opponent will only be looking for those two options regardless of how many points the hold system has.

When you introduce 6 point you force your opponent to actually "learn" those options instead of just making a blanket guess over a certain hit level.

It's only intimidating until you actually understand what is plausible in any given situation. Doesn't change the high level game much but it does keep the scrubs from getting lucky on a pro. Basically its an anti-retard barrier.

qoodname

Its a hard decision from TNs point of view. They dont wanna make it too hard for new players but on the other hand need to keep the randomness factor low. Taking this in consideration a 4-point hold system is a good deal in my opinion even though i actually like the idea of a 6-point hold system.

Omegan Eckhart

A 6-Point System would be great in my opinion as long as it didn't mess up the inputs for parries and so forth.

Inputting 9+F wouldn't be difficult execution wise, if you know a particular string then you will know whether say a High Punch or a High Kick is coming. If you don't know the string then too bad, learn that characters combo's and try again till you get it right.

I'm just glad they ditched the 3-Point System idea, tons of characters string manipulations would become completely useless. It would have been a huge step back no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD