Dead or Alive 5 Alpha Demo System and Character Discussions

x Sypher x

His parry from Ninpo. Pressing :h: in Ninpo parries all high and mid attacks. He teleports behind the opponent, but I don't think he gets anything out of it. It works well after :4::K: if blocked.

His :4::P::K: gives him +9 on block. Other than that I noticed a lot of his attacks that were safe in 4 aren't now; :8::P: is -11, his handstand has more recovery, :8::K: is like 18i now. I didn't play enough to get everything, but that might have something to do with why he said he's "3rd". I played AngryWorm and Hitomi seemed better to me at first glance.

WTF? He has a parry now? Lol wow that's just...wow. I mean I guess it's not TOO bad since his Ninpo stance used to be practically useless before, but dam lol.

x Sypher x

She's pretty beastly as is ATM.

Don't know if it's been posted as well but she can transition to back flips along with BT.

Still hoping for more goodies though . . .

Yeah I thought that was pretty neat when they added BT transitions in DOAD, but now BACKFLIPS? All I can say is, fucking...GENIUUUUUUS. :eek:

Jefffcore

His parry from Ninpo. Pressing :h: in Ninpo parries all high and mid attacks. He teleports behind the opponent, but I don't think he gets anything out of it. It works well after :4::K: if blocked.

His :4::P::K: gives him +9 on block. Other than that I noticed a lot of his attacks that were safe in 4 aren't now; :8::P: is -11, his handstand has more recovery, :8::K: is like 18i now. I didn't play enough to get everything, but that might have something to do with why he said he's "3rd". I played AngryWorm and Hitomi definitely plays easier, I don't want to say she's better because Busa was hard to get used to. In 4 I'd use :4::K: shut her down, but it doesn't work quite as well and goes into Ninpo right away(which I didn't really like). Ninpo takes I think 14 or 18i so if it hits you don't get much of an advantage. Her PowerBlow: if blocked gave her unblockable attacks, Busa's didn't.

Didn't try SEing though

MASTER

Standard Donor
when you break grabs in cliff hangers you take 10pts of damage i believe.

MASTER
:hayabusa:

DrDogg

No you can hold earlier than the 35th frame but you have to wait at least 23 frames because on the 23rd frame you can actually hold. In other words hayabusa is at least +23 until you can do an actual hold and 35 frames to be able to block. I hope i cleared it up a little >.<

Why can't you counter for the first 23 frames?

Berzerk!

Just going back to holds for a second. Unconfirmed frames for DOA5:​
Defensive Holds
  • Unconfirmed: Any hold performed out of critical state is 0(18)17.
  • Unconfirmed: Any normal hold performed out of critical state 0(18)17.
  • Unconfirmed: Any advanced hold performed out of critical state is 0(22)8.
Can someone post the frames again for DOAD and DOA4 for comparison? Its not in the wiki. I know MrWah said it felt tighter and more punishable playing the demo. I want to recheck the numerical difference and then see how the game feels when I play it.​

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Why can't you counter for the first 23 frames?

-Because the game doesn't allow you to. There are a lot of situations in the demo where I found myself not being able to hold out of the stun. This is very much akin to what happened in doa3.1.

DrDogg

-Because the game doesn't allow you to. There are a lot of situations in the demo where I found myself not being able to hold out of the stun. This is very much akin to what happened in doa3.1.

And only Hayabusa has this type of stun at the moment?

MASTER

Standard Donor
Just going back to holds for a second. Unconfirmed frames for DOA5:​
Defensive Holds
Can someone post the frames again for DOAD and DOA4 for comparison? Its not in the wiki. I know MrWah said it felt tighter and more punishable playing the demo. I want to recheck the numerical difference and then see how the game feels when I play it.

For DOAD it was 0/20/10 out of stun, in stun it was 0/20/15
For DOA4 it was 0/22/8 in and out of stun.

@Dr.Dogg there was moves like these in the past in DOA4 in fact that same move in DOA4 gave +6 because you could not hold at all until 6 frames past after hayabusa's recovery. In this one however it was beefed up. Like VP said the game just doesnt let you and i believe that trying to SE and hold it is probably impossible now because slow escaping usually only cuts the stun by half and the fastest move he can do after he recovers is 18 frames which goes into ninpo and thats very close to half of the stun frames.

Its interesting but i personally feel like im playing another fighter when i hit with that and do a juggle. Then again though its the only good move that grants him really good damage into the air throw since he is a much slower character now. You can easily step the move too and its 27 frames.

EDIT: I havent found anyone else that has a stun like this right now, can anyone else confirm?

MASTER
:hayabusa:

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
@ DrDogg Not at all. Playing the demo I find I cannot hold out a lot of strings, Its just a matter of figuring out which moves cause the unholdable situation and why.

@Master. You can slowescape out of it....That is the only way out. From like -35, I Slowed escaped down to -16. I'm not sure this is the most it will go down because I was doing both the attacking and the defending(using two controllers).

avi

his ninpo parry is gimicky at best... his ninpo stance is good but getting some one stunned to use it is another story... jab nerf 8k nerf so his poking is gone .. yeah he has guard breaks but there mostly at the mid lvl and 3 point holds will shit on all that..

Berzerk!

I don't think its just Hayabusa, its the limbo stun you're referring to isn't it VP?

Ayane's 4+H+K (swinging roundhouse kick mid) does this too right?

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
I don't think its just Hayabusa, its the limbo stun you're referring to isn't it VP?

Ayane's 4+H+K (swinging roundhouse kick mid) does this too right?

The limbo stun is just one of the stuns. However, there seem to be situations where attacks are guaranteed on NH,CH and HCH. The demo testing is still in its infancy. We will find all of them.

Berzerk!

Thanks Master and Grap3. So our full list of comparisons in order:

DOA4
High or Mid Hold - 0/22/8
Low Hold - 0/22/5
Parries - 0/22/8
DOA4 Source

DOAD - Outside of Stun
High or Mid Hold - 0/20/10
Low Hold - 0/20/7
All Parries - 0/20/10

DOAD - Inside of Stun
All Holds - 0/20/15
DOAD Source

DOA5

So, based on the fact that the difference between DOA4 and DOAD was subtle but noticable (more punishable holds), the change in DOA5 is on paper a sharp refinement.

This further shortening of the active window by four frames compared to DOA4 will make accidentally hitting into a hold initiated early/randomly will be less likely, and the recovery has almost doubled. Very positive.

I'm surprised Advanced holds are more lenient - there's a small amount of additional input and a little more planning required to initiate but I don't think that's a big problem for most players.
Still, it's only two heights and brings it back to DOA4 levels in terms of recovery which will mean you probably still have to just block after a whiffed counter. The input and mid restriction should stop it being spammed.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD