Dead or Alive 5 Alpha Demo System and Character Discussions

TRI Mike

I'm REALLY loving it. Though I'm confused since I almost never touched Ayane and Hayate before so I can't really compare them to their previous versions besides noticing a couple new moves here and there (like Hayate's new :3::3::F+P:).

I'm really happy with how the game is turning out. But I'd LOVE to try out Busa and Hitomi :(

MrMoon360

I'm REALLY loving it. Though I'm confused since I almost never touched Ayane and Hayate before so I can't really compare them to their previous versions besides noticing a couple new moves here and there (like Hayate's new :3::3::F+P:).

I'm really happy with how the game is turning out. But I'd LOVE to try out Busa and Hitomi :(

Ah its a shame you couldn't get premium. I'm having blast with them all :D
My friends are enjoying this great "new" fighter with me! They never owned a DOA.

TRI Mike

Yeah it's a bummer. But I'm taking it as an opportunity to learn Hayate and Ayane. I've been playing DOA since the Dreamcast era and almost never touched them.

I'll still switch to Jann Lee, Busa, Leifang, Akira and Helena once the final game comes out though.

MrMoon360

Yeah it's a bummer. But I'm taking it as an opportunity to learn Hayate and Ayane. I've been playing DOA since the Dreamcast era and almost never touched them.

I'll still switch to Jann Lee, Busa, Leifang, Akira and Helena once the final game comes out though.
I've been playing since DOA3, but have all of them now.
I can't wait to see Christie and Helena @_@;

MeanMrMustard

I haven't played the demo, but I have a feeling Ayane's spin transitions will be useless unless the moves that lead to them are + a lot or it is a cancel so they are only + a lot of you go into spin/BT. Right now it just looks like a well prepared opponent can hit you before you're able to do anything or create any kind of pressure. If anyone has time will they be posting frame data for the other characters like Sorwah did for Hitomi?

What are the execution frames on the normal hit launchers? I'm seeing a lot of attacks that are -12 to -18 or so, which means you can get attack punishment instead of throw punishment, but that won't be much use unless you can land a normal hit launcher.
This would also be nice to know. If NH launchers give more than the most powerful grabs (at least for some characters) that would be a nice addition to the game and require people to know frames more in depth at the higher levels.

Romancer

So, I'm sitting here with the Premium Alpha Demo and I've copied down the move lists for every character, where should/may I post them?

ScattereDreams

What are the execution frames on the normal hit launchers? I'm seeing a lot of attacks that are -12 to -18 or so, which means you can get attack punishment instead of throw punishment, but that won't be much use unless you can land a normal hit launcher.

I've actually been going through Ayanes moveset she has atleast 4-5 launchers on NH. Well minus BT 4k becaus,e that would be kinda impossible use to punish; maybe to whiff punish. Not sure about the rest.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So, I'm sitting here with the Premium Alpha Demo and I've copied down the move lists for every character, where should/may I post them?

This is the thread for them.

I haven't played the demo, but I have a feeling Ayane's spin transitions will be useless unless the moves that lead to them are + a lot or it is a cancel so they are only + a lot of you go into spin/BT.

If anyone has time will they be posting frame data for the other characters like Sorwah did for Hitomi?

She evades highs and I think High-mids plus her attacks out of it are rather fast and evade themselves. She gives me trouble when it's even the AI on hard. I think you'll manage.

I'll continue with more frame data once I get the time, but anyone else is free to post any.

Jefffcore

Sidesteps the way they are, aren't viable imo. They only sidestep in their first few frames; any second attack in a string will hit and get HC.

MrMoon360

Sidesteps the way they are, aren't viable imo. They only sidestep in their first few frames; any second attack in a string will hit and get HC.

Not necessarily. I play my rival in DOA5a frequently. A sidestep can not only dodge the first hit, but also position you aside (behind in some cases) the attacking players combo or at least completely out of harms way.
I found that closer proximity is more effective also.

MeanMrMustard

This is the thread for them.

She evades highs and I think High-mids plus her attacks out of it are rather fast and evade themselves. She gives me trouble when it's even the AI on hard. I think you'll manage.

Yes but if their only advantage is they crush highs/mids, you can still just 2p out of all of her mix ups once she goes into it, unless she has a sidestepping option.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Back dashing is some what between Doa3.1 and Doa2u level of evasiveness.

Jefffcore

Not necessarily. I play my rival in DOA5a frequently. A sidestep can not only dodge the first hit, but also position you aside (behind in some cases) the attacking players combo or at least completely out of harms way.
I found that closer proximity is more effective also.

I played it yesterday and I couldn't sidestep any strings. I sidestepped Hitomi's 6pk and was HCB'd by the the k everytime. Her power punches can't be sidestepped right away because they hit the sidestep after it's finished; it needs to be delayed, and it's not easy.

DrDogg

Unsafe.

both BT :P::P::6::K::K::4: and :6::6::K::K::4: (DOA4 strings) are -54 to BT

Unsafe.

Oh SNAP! BT :P::P::P::P: (New string with her old charge "hadouken") is +5! Not chargeable though but Guard Breaks

Advantage.

What about each individual attack in those strings. Is it possible to free cancel before the last hit and remain safe? Also, are any of those attacks high? If so, can you duck and punish before the following attack?

I've actually been going through Ayanes moveset she has atleast 4-5 launchers on NH. Well minus BT 4k becaus,e that would be kinda impossible use to punish; maybe to whiff punish. Not sure about the rest.

What are the execution frames on them?

I played it yesterday and I couldn't sidestep any strings. I sidestepped Hitomi's 6pk and was HCB'd by the the k everytime. Her power punches can't be sidestepped right away because they hit the sidestep after it's finished; it needs to be delayed, and it's not easy.

I don't think stepping in any game is "easy". As long as a step can be used properly to evade, it will benefit the game.

Made a vid of Hitomi's Move List with both input and frame data display. Maybe it can be useful to some people ?

It would be better if you did each individual attack instead of just the combo strings. It's very difficult to grab the frame data on anything other than the last attack.

Defensive Holds
  • Unconfirmed: Any hold performed out of critical state is 0(18)17.
  • Unconfirmed: Any normal hold performed out of critical state 0(18)17.
  • Unconfirmed: Any advanced hold performed out of critical state is 0(22)8.

• Unless there are "good" ways around holds (launchers/attacks that ignore holds completely), this is bad news. Still 0-frame execution, still a huge active window, and a recovery that's less than the active window. Advanced holds are even worse. :(
Also, what's "NT" and "20d"?

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator

-This is something that I do not like as well. It seem to only work well if you evade the last hit of a string. The evade is slow, covers little ground, only evade the 1st attack in the string while the rest track(most of the time). I also dont like that you cannot H-cancel(free cancel sounds way better) the follow up so that you can use another attack of choice. The canned followup do not allow you to take full advantage of the evade. I do not like the fact that you get both high counter strike/throw during the stratup frames of the evade, and counter strike/throw during the recovery. Too much punishment for little to no reward. It was actually easier to evade in Doa4 using :8::8::P:(:K:)/:2::2::P:(:K:), and it was faster. They need to get rid of this whole :8::H+P+K:/:2::H+P+K:, and just use :8::8:/:2::2: to evade.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
The move details will list the attacks that will and won't track btw.
Oh ok, that makes it a little easier, but the evade is still ass when you want to use it as a tool to punish.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD