The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I love the nerdy animator actually dressing up as Prompto. XD
That's dedication...and you can certainly see this dedication in the game. Best animations in any game so far! Even surpassing fighters, who should imho by definition have the best character animations.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Hey guys, I brought some nice hot Tekken tea!:cool: Yellowmotion posted a graphical comparison using....ugh...Asuka Kazama (Don't mind me, I'm not a big fan of her, She needs to take responsibility for beating up Lili )
IMG_20160122_161358.jpg

She looks so beautiful in the FR version, but I like her face a little more in Tekken Revolution....Thank goodness her man face is gone from TTT2.
Here's a bonus image which further proves that Tyaren was right about games using the same models in enhanced ports, but they simply improve the textures and lighting. This is an image of Asuka in T5 and her enhanced in the Dark Resurrection version:
IMG_20160122_161340.jpg

Jadeinchains

Yeah she looks the best in revolution to me to. Asuka always looks good to me. Even in Tekken 7 she seems to have avoided the ugly stick but she does look better in the newer one.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Thanks for this contribution! @KasumiLover69 :3
Most interesting is always the TTT2 to Tekken Revolution change to me. It's basically the same title for an online audience, just that they internally must have decided that their girls just don't hold up to other fighters like DOA or Soul Calibur and that they apparently thought it was an imperative to change that and make them as pretty and cute as possible. Quite the sudden paradigm shift. Too bad they forgot to alter the bodies accordingly. The cuter faces look a little out of place on the still very bulky bodies. XD

tumblr_mw7t47g4GT1re9fe1o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mw7t47g4GT1re9fe1o1_1280.jpg

There's a simlar problem with DOAX3. They made the jawline of Ayane and Kasumi much narrower (making them prettier/cuter) but generally making the head smaller in volume. Now their bodies look a bit bulky in comparison:

623322.jpg

DOAX3-81.jpg

Last edited:

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Most interesting is always the TTT2 to Tekken Revolution change to me. It's basically the same title for an online audience, just that they internally must have decided that their girls just don't hold up to other fighters like DOA or Soul Calibur and that they apparently thought it was an imperative to change that and make them as pretty and cute as possible. Quite the sudden paradigm shift. Too bad they forgot to alter the bodies accordingly. The cuter faces look a little out of place on the still very bulky bodies. XD

There's a simlar problem with DOAX3. They made the jawline of Ayane and Kasumi much narrower (making them prettier/cuter) but generally making the head smaller in volume. Now their bodies look a bit bulky in comparison:

623322.jpg

DOAX3-81.jpg
That seems to be the trend now for most fighting games. Back a few years ago, realistic was in, but now I guess all fighting game developers are content on making their girls appear more cute. They just need to adjust the bodies accordingly so that they won't look like pinheads, Tekken 7 suffered from that early in it's beta with Lucky Chloe and Claudio.

Chapstick

623322.jpg

DOAX3-81.jpg
They made the bodies thicker too, didn't they? Thighs and asses at the very least and I'm positive the boobs are bigger

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They made the bodies thicker too, didn't they? Thighs and asses at the very least and I'm positive the boobs are bigger

Yeah, it seems like it. (More space to implement the new jiggle physics. ;) ) Don't you too think that especially on the Ayane picture the body proportions are off? It's like a pea head on a tree trunk. :/ On the Kasumi pic you can't really make it out, because she bends so far forward.

Not messing up the proportions is always a little tricky for me too, when drawing and editing the head in some way. Seems they didn't care at all for this.

By the way... I might as well mention it in here since it fits:
I wrote and illustrated two extensive chapters about character design in this upcoming book:

productmain_01large.jpg

If you are interested you can preorder it here:
https://shop.3dtotal.com/books/3dtotalpublishing/beginners-guide-comic-art-characters.html
(Steps of the Eliot costume design are in there too, Koei Tecmo was so kind to give me their permission. I should really say more nice things about them. ;P)

Lol, I feel so shameless now, mixing business with hobby. XD

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Well that's really cool that you had a part in something like that.
Also I was looking at that picture of Kasumi and has she also had red eyes?!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well that's really cool that you had a part in something like that.

Thanks. :) I was actually published in another book for the same publisher about manga art too and a while ago I published two comic books in Germany/Austria/Switzerland and Liechtenstein through other publishers. Just recently I started as a guest lecturer/docent in university for character design, figure drawing and nude drawing courses. I just don't like shouting it from the roof tops in here since this is me in private. And I won't anymore, just this once! ;) Though I sometimes wished I would more often, because I have the feeling certain people think I'm talking out of my ass regarding comic, manga and especially character design (which comes up as a topic a lot). I actually do know a little of what I'm talking about ... >.>

Last edited:

Chapstick

Yeah, it seems like it. (More space to implement the new jiggle physics. ;) ) Don't you too think that especially on the Ayane picture the body proportions are off? It's like a pea head on a tree trunk. :/ On the Kasumi pic you can't really make it out, because she bends so far forward.
This is why I hate Kasumi's loose hair so much, it throws off her whole body. The ponytail is so huge it can balance out even the chunkiest outfit. Honoka has also always looked bizarre to me with that body and then the cute tiny head and thin hair.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
This is why I hate Kasumi's loose hair so much, it throws off her whole body. The ponytail is so huge it can balance out even the chunkiest outfit. Honoka has also always looked bizarre to me with that body and then the cute tiny head and thin hair.
Thank TN for that heavenly ponytail! :cool: I remember when I first played DOA5 thinking Kasumi would have gorgeous loose hair...boy was I wrong. But TN is pretty skilled at making ponytails and anything that doesn't involve loose hair.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol, well that was all very likely due to technical limitations so far. For DOA6 this might look different though. Did you know that the kind of hair that fades out in this smooth and transparent way weighs in really heavy on performance? That's why many developers go for that more pixelated bitmap hair, even this generation, because it's way less performance heavy.

Smooth and shiny DOA hair:

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20151230072748.png

In close up still pretty...

Metal Gear Solid 5 hair:

21024733879_e362ecbf8d_o.jpg

Pretty from a distance but fugly in close ups...

Chapstick

Take a look at these pics of her hair modded, @panicitstylor sent them to me a while back

1zfotoi.jpg

2e5kygj.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me all that was done was the hair was made more opaque and look at the difference.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Take a look at these pics of her hair modded, @panicitstylor sent them to me a while back

1zfotoi.jpg

2e5kygj.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me all that was done was the hair was made more opaque and look at the difference.
It looks so much thicker! If they would have used that hair lengthen tool, it would've been perfect.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Looks to me as if there were additional strands of hair added underneath the existing strands. She got extensions! XD
If Panicstylor made these he can tell us. But it indeed looks much better. What you also have to consider, Team Ninja doesn't like to do work twice if it's not about boobs and ass, so even if they could have now thickened her hair, they won't do it...because more work and it brings them no money... Marie Rose also just got Kasumi's wig in blonde for DOAX3.

Argentus

623322.jpg

DOAX3-81.jpg
Jesus their boobs actually ARE bigger than their heads now.

Lol, well that was all very likely due to technical limitations so far. For DOA6 this might look different though. Did you know that the kind of hair that fades out in this smooth and transparent way weighs in really heavy on performance? That's why many developers go for that more pixelated bitmap hair, even this generation, because it's way less performance heavy.

Smooth and shiny DOA hair:

View attachment 17955

In close up still pretty...

Metal Gear Solid 5 hair:

21024733879_e362ecbf8d_o.jpg

Pretty from a distance but fugly in close ups...
Could be worse. Ever seen non modded Sky rim hair? Ugliest rendered hair ever. Looks like frayed industrial rope.

Also damn nice with the book. Id love to pick it up and feel cool that I know you even if only on a forum XD

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Just a random selection of screenhots that I thought made the respective game look really pretty or impressive or atmospheric:

Velen_14.png

Undvik_7.png

Oxenfurt_1.png

BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160104014722.png

BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160104005953.png

BATMAN™_ ARKHAM KNIGHT_20160104010844.png

FINAL FANTASY XV EPISODE DUSCAE_20150320050250.jpg

FINAL FANTASY XV EPISODE DUSCAE_20151117015425.png

FINAL FANTASY XV EPISODE DUSCAE_20151104031654.png

God, I love videogames, especially this generation... >__<

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I can't wait to get Final Fantasy 15 and see it on ps4 instead of on YouTube.

Right, you don't own the Duscae demo! I also wouldn't have it if I hadn't given someone else 30€ so that he would buy FFType 0 for 70€ which he wanted to play badly. I don't regret paying the 30€ just for a demo. :)
Still I can hardly await the real deal. Just Duscae gets a bit boring... I can understand Chapstick who's really sick of it. XD The image quality and frame rate is also still a little rough. But I'm sure Square Enix will fix that until release of the full game. They're Square Enix and this is a main line Final Fantasy after all. The lighting, which I wanted to showcase in these pics, is already now phenomenal. *__* Like the animations, I haven't seen any other game getting this better done. Witcher 3 has also amazing lighting...but it's a little over the top and comic like. So imho ist doesn't really compete.

Oh, but there will be one more demo free for everyone! O: I almost forgot that. It is definitely confirmed and is rumored to hit in March, when the great media and info blow out happens. Then you will be able to play at least a litte bit of it before release. They hinted the demo being this one here:

Probably with improved and extended gameplay too then.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
I hope Final Fantasy will one day give TN access to their high quality engine. I have a feeling that TN working on collaboration game projects with them could result in the FF company helping them graphics wise with DOA6.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD