The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Lol, this dog has been an internet meme for a few years already. To be fair though, Lightning Returns was relatively quickly made and reuses mostly assets from it's two predecessors. I can imagine this dog was used as a background prop for a scene in one of the other games and worked perfectly well there but when they transported it right in front of the camera in LR it didn't really hold up to today's standards anymore.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, especially FFXIII, did you know that the character models used there are actually in general of really low quality? Lighning is for example just made out of 8,488 polygons, which is without exaggeration just PS2 quality.

solu6r.jpg

Still Square Enix managed to make the characters look really good in the game through the right framing, texturing, shading and lighting:

screen7.jpg

Final-Fantasy-XIII_2009_08-03-09_02.jpg

You really have to applaud them for that! When I played the game I thought the models looked stunning...and I'm usually so picky as you probably already know. XD
In it's sequels the polygon count did improve slightly, but they also never exceded 10k polygons per character...

ff132_04052012_21.jpg

(Notice the blocky hands?)

As a comparison, the average Devil May Cry 4 character had about 20.000 polygons, the average Soul Calibur 5 character 25.000 polygons and the average DOA5 character had roughly 30.000 polygons and up to 60k-90k if it was a female, especially Kasumi and Ayane. A huge technical difference...but artistically hardly noticable. Square Enix magic! XD

501Character%20Front.jpg

When you now compare the 8.400 polygons to the 100k polygons of a FFXV character, like Noctis, then that is an immense improvement. Alone Noctis' hair comprises 20.000 polygons, which is more than 2 Lightnings in just his hair! o__O

Wokb.png

Noctis-rendered-FFXV.png

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

Lightning had a much better model in LR though, even her FFXIII costume looks brand new.

But, they probably put all their effort into Lightning since the pedestrians had low polys and returning characters except Snow and Vanille just used their old models. Also, Lightning have PS2 polys makes sense really since the game was originally meant to be on PS2.

EDIT: Low res but LR Lightning in her FFXIII costume
latest

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

I'm really shocked by how little polygons XIII had. It really does look amazing their texture and shading work is amazing to have made the game look so beautiful.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Also, Lightning have PS2 polys makes sense really since the game was originally meant to be on PS2.

And remember Square Enix claming at first that Final Fantasy XIII could only run on the more powerful PS3 hardware? XD Later, when the game also came out for Xbox360 it still didn't run with the same image resolution as the PS3 version.
After FFXIII we saw lots of much more technical impressive games run on the Xbox360 and even FFXIII-2 and Lightining Returns ran on the console with the same quality as the PS3 versions.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
so i recently got the Mass Effect collection in that PSN sale and for being one of the most beloved series of the generation that first one looks pretty bad. literally hurts my eyes looking at certain parts.

im very shocked considering this came out around the same time as FF13 and that game looked fine.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
so i recently got the Mass Effect collection in that PSN sale and for being one of the most beloved series of the generation that first one looks pretty bad. literally hurts my eyes looking at certain parts.

im very shocked considering this came out around the same time as FF13 and that game looked fine.

I'm not that familiar with the Mass Effect series, what looks so bad?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I'm not that familiar with the Mass Effect series, what looks so bad?

characters mostly. what i mean by hurting my eyes is its doing that thing where you'll have a screen and its a mixture of blurry and jagged along with clear and well-textured. the result is very uncomfortable to look at for me.

Jadeinchains

Even Capcom know how to work their magic with old assets.

Left: 2016 RE Zero HD PS4
Right: 2002 RE Zero GameCube
maxresdefault.jpg

I can't believe how blurring it is back on gamecube and to think back in that generation that was the console with the best graphics. Also hopefully later this year/2017 the remake of RE2 will come out and that will obviously have a huge graphical leap.

Some of the humans in the first Mass Effect game are so hideous I don't know who the aliens are and who aren't most of the time. The graphics made a big leap in the sequel though.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Mass Effect isn't great graphically... never has been even Mass Effect 3 pales compared to other games that released in 2012.

Saying that though, whith how good Dragon Age Inquisition is graphically, that could actually change in ME Andromeda.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I can't believe how blurring it is back on gamecube and to think back in that generation that was the console with the best graphics.

These picture comparisons are imho often very unfair though. ;) When they have a 720p resolution game and a 1080p resolution game they mostly blow up the 720p to 1080p and that is bound to look very shitty. You didn't see the game like that on your TV a decade ago. The fairer comparison is either leaving the smaller resolution image as it is or sampling the 1080p image down to 720p, which will just make the 1080p image smaller but won't hurt its image quality.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Mass Effect isn't great graphically... never has been even Mass Effect 3 pales compared to other games that released in 2012.

Saying that though, whith how good Dragon Age Inquisition is graphically, that could actually change in ME Andromeda.

how good is Dragon's Dogma? im going to be getting that Monday after i learned about how incredible the customization for that was.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
how good is Dragon's Dogma? im going to be getting that Monday after i learned about how incredible the customization for that was.

That's my cue! XD AngryCentaurGaming recently did a "Walking the Walk" video of it. Meaning he talks in great detail about the game world, its design, art, graphics and sound:

Jadeinchains

These picture comparisons are imho often very unfair though. ;) When they have a 720p resolution game and a 1080p resolution game they mostly blow up the 720p to 1080p and that is bound to look very shitty. You didn't see the game like that on your TV a decade ago. The fairer comparison is either leaving the smaller resolution image as it is or sampling the 1080p image down to 720p, which will just make the 1080p image smaller but won't hurt its image quality.

Oh yeah actually that would make sense oops.

Anyway about what you were saying earlier about FFXIII having a polygon count similar to a ps2 game but making up for it with textures etc. A game I got into again recently because of a lets play I'm watching is Haunting Ground and not only does the game have like one loading screen in the entire game with seamless transitioning between rooms but it also has pretty good graphics that I'd say still look decent today.

Attachments

• Fionahewie2.PNG
    Fionahewie2.PNG
    980.2 KB · Views: 261

Argentus

Seriously though go play Remember Me. I went back to fin8sh that game and forgot his jaw dropping pretty it is

Remember-Me-preview_screenshot_13.jpg

remember-me-game-e1344959569452.png

remember_me_screen_nilin.jpg

228300_screenshots_2013-06-01_00001.jpg

Remember-Me-PS3.jpg

lFI0NOu.jpg

6931844-remember-me-game-2013.jpg

1.jpg

Remember%20Me%201.jpg

full.jpg

Remember-Me-02.jpg

rememberme-204-610.jpg

438581.jpg

17282__x_228300_screenshots_2013-06-01_00002.jpg

599510531.jpg

Two things that make the game especially cool to look at are the AR in game interfaces, and the dynamic camera angles.

On mass effect, yeah the humans are ugly. No two ways around that. Only default male Shep and IM looks any good. And the aliens look worse in the later games. For example all the salarians look like the Annoying Orange like your squad mate on 2, as opposed to the original amphibious scaly look they had in 2.

That said, Mass Effect is my Star Wars and I love it dearly.

Oh but if you got it on PC the original game has errors. For example garrus will always have super low res face textures on pc

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
Nillin's ass was amazing. They did a good job with it. also the music was cool too I guess.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD