The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Jadeinchains

I'm watching the video right now and its cool seeing the effort put into things that I probably would have never noticed like the landscaping. Also like things like the snow turning to slush and stuff.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I'll probably wait and get the eventual GOTYE or similar releases, since some games I never got a year or two ago have one or are likely to get one.

Jadeinchains

That's a question that I ask my self a lot when it comes to games like the witcher or Fallout 4. Do I buy it now or just wait a year when they will most likely release a GOTYE with all the dlc included with it.

PS: Sales do terrible things to me, I might have just bought the DOA5 ultimate set for £40 on sale. Oh well its my favourite game so I know i'll use it all over and over again.

PSS: Tyaren I'm convinced to buy The Witcher 3 when a complete edition comes out with all the pictures and videos you've posted.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Woooow...Star Wars Battlefront maxed out on PC plus a "Real Life Mod" to make it even more realistic:

I didn't know Youtube had videos in 4k! O__O

Jadeinchains

It all looked amazing but my favourite was the forest. Those sunbeams cutting through the trees looked so great. It will be great when all games can just naturally be at this graphic level even on console without a graphics mod.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I really hope they fix the stark dithering of shadowing in Street Fighter V until release. :/ You can clearly notice it inbetween of Zangief's muscle bulges or Laura's face.

Please view in full size:
23215655533_7ce82b3aa6_o.png

It looks imho really bad and the game isn't exactly over working the PS4's power...

Jadeinchains

In my opinion I think the should just drop the whole cell shaded thing be cause it always looks off on the characters. SFV does look a bit better than SFIV looked though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Street Fighter V is not really cel shaded though. (By the way, it is actually written with just one "l", but many get that wrong. ;) )
The game appears to be going for a more painterly approach in shading and texturing. At the hand it seems as if it was painted with a brush.

sfv-mbison-1.png

I'm still a little bit disappointed that they didn't keep the very clear and naturalistic texturing and shadowing that we can see in the very first images of the game that were released:

street-fighter-v-ryu-stance-gameplay-screenshot-ps4-pc.jpg

You could even make out single freckles and pores on Ryu's skin. Now this is gone and I wonder if it was due to technical limitations or more of an artistic choice... :(

Jadeinchains

Street Fighter V is not really cel shaded though. (By the way, it is actually written with just one "l", but many get that wrong. ;) )
The game appears to be going for a more painterly approach in shading and texturing. At the hand it seems as if it was painted with a brush.

sfv-mbison-1.png

I'm still a little bit disappointed that they didn't keep the very clear and naturalistic texturing and shadowing that we can see in the very first images of the game that were released:

You could even make out single freckles and pores on Ryu's skin. Now this is gone and I wonder if it was due to technical limitations or more of an artistic choice... :(

Yeah opps with that spelling mistake. When it comes to V's art style its kind of a mixed bag. Its strange because those pre order outfits make the characters look really good (hot Ryu etc). But then there is characters like Vega and R Mika who look terrible. That could just be from bad model work and a horrible design respectively though.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That could just be from bad model work and a horrible design respectively though.

I think it's mostly that. When I saw R Mika I was like:

eyestab.png

The weird costume design, the color scheme, the bland and unattractive face, the balloon boobs...

image_street_fighter_v-29401-3120_0012.jpg

But there are indeed also character model quality differences. Ryu and the characters lost their detailed textures...but the new character Necalli still has them. Just look at the super detailed skin texture:

image_street_fighter_v-28983-3120_0010.jpg

Imho this picture and the one above look like they are from different games. o__O

Jadeinchains

I hadn't saw that new character and yeah he really does look great. They should upgrade all the characters to that level otherwise their game graphically is going to be a horrible mess of good and horrible models fighting each other.

And when it comes to R Mika no graphical improvements can save her from possibly the worst fighting game design I've ever seen.

Jadeinchains

Sorry to double post but I was just reminded of this. This might seem random but I've always been a fan of a series called "Disaster Report". Its basically a series in which the city your located in ( usually in Japan ) is hit by a tsunami/earthquake etc. And you and a handful of supporting characters have to escape. And back in 2011 "disaster report 4 summer memories" was supposed to be released but wasn't after the real life tsunami hit Japan.

However back in November 2015 they revealed that they would now be continuing work on the game under the name "disaster report summer memories +". They obviously moved work from PS3 to the PS4 so the graphics though not incredible are noticeably better.

PS3

PS4

Last edited:

Argentus

Woooow...Star Wars Battlefront maxed out on PC plus a "Real Life Mod" to make it even more realistic:

I didn't know Youtube had videos in 4k! O__O
Its a shame that game sucked so bad lol.

Too bad graphics and sound are the only things actually good about the game
They spent all their millions of dollars of budget on graphics and marketing but forgot to make the actual game lol.

Honestly the old supernes star wars games that came with the Vader ps4 will get more mileage out of battlefront 3.

All that said, it would've been an okay game if it hadn't tried to call itself Battlefront.

sfv-mbison-1.png

Then again I don't like how like...action figure plastic his skin looked then. Look it that shoulder!

I think it's mostly that. When I saw R Mika I was like:

eyestab.png

The weird costume design, the color scheme, the bland and unattractive face, the balloon boobs...

image_street_fighter_v-29401-3120_0012.jpg

But there are indeed also character model quality differences. Ryu and the characters lost their detailed textures...but the new character Necalli still has them. Just look at the super detailed skin texture:

image_street_fighter_v-28983-3120_0010.jpg

Imho this picture and the one above look like they are from different games. o__O
Eh. Mika would look leagues better if they actually put detail into her mask.

Kars....just don't zoom in because that skin texture isn't scaled properly. Whose skin pores are THAT huge on their arms?! 0_0

On R Mika its sad because a few minor tweaks and she could actually look really good. The main problem is her damn proportions. She looks like a pinhead due to her body mass being like 80% thighs.

Ditch the pigtails.
Put some detail into her mask
Fix her proportions

Seriously though pigtails that professional wrestler? Queen of bad ideas XD

Chapstick

Even more DA:I pics. Finally started the wicked eyes wicked hearts quest on my dwarf so here's some of the winter palace

0PvyFdd.png

f71XAN6.png

I love the way textures react to light, you can see it well on the floor here (click the pic)

PERRLLi.png

If we don't get floor textures like this in DOA6 when a huge game filled with amazing textures could make it.. :/

And I finally got a completely accurate non-camera-affected true height difference between my dwarf and Iron Bull

c8zzHA4.png

A few more pics here -> http://imgur.com/a/O0tSL

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Even more DA:I pics. Finally started the wicked eyes wicked hearts quest on my dwarf so here's some of the winter palace

0PvyFdd.png

f71XAN6.png

I love the way textures react to light, you can see it well on the floor here (click the pic)

PERRLLi.png

If we don't get floor textures like this in DOA6 when a huge game filled with amazing textures could make it.. :/

And I finally got a completely accurate non-camera-affected true height difference between my dwarf and Iron Bull

c8zzHA4.png

A few more pics here -> http://imgur.com/a/O0tSL

These look really nice. DA:I is a beautiful game in parts. And it's a cross generation game! O:

Well,Tekken 7's ground textures look at least "good". I have hopes that DOA6 at least reaches Tekken 7 quality in that regard.
But can someone tell me why Street Fighter V's stage textures look like ass when a 2D fighter clearly shouldn't be pushing the boundaries of what a PS4 can do...?

image_street_fighter_v-30055-3120_0001.jpg

image_street_fighter_v-29857-3120_0002.jpg

image_street_fighter_v-29059-3120_0004.jpg

(And this might even be PC pics with superior texture quality to the PS4...)

I started to believe there simply is no logic to how some games look amazing, even though they push a system to it's very limits with super detailed open world games or look like ass, even though they are 2D fighters that are rather simple in graphical style.

Why did you make a dwarf character, by the way? XD

Chapstick

These look really nice. DA:I is a beautiful game in parts. And it's a cross generation game! O:

Well,Tekken 7's ground textures look at least "good". I have hopes that DOA6 at least reaches Tekken 7 quality in that regard.
But can someone tell me why Street Fighter V's stage textures look like ass when a 2D fighter clearly shouldn't be pushing the boundaries of what a PS4 can do...?

image_street_fighter_v-30055-3120_0001.jpg

image_street_fighter_v-29857-3120_0002.jpg

image_street_fighter_v-29059-3120_0004.jpg

(And this might even be PC pics with superior texture quality to the PS4...)

I started to believe there simply is no logic to how some games look amazing, even though they push a system to it's very limits with super detailed open world games or look like ass, even though they are 2D fighters that are rather simple in graphical style.

Why did you make a dwarf character, by the way? XD
I had already made a qunari and an elf and I was screwing around seeing what I could do with a dwarf's face. Then I ended up really liking it. Plus I hadn't made a rogue yet and idk if this is racist but when you think dwarves in fantasy games you think rogues

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Altissia is finally confirmed to be freely explorable in Final Fantasy XV! :D Imho the so far most beautiful city in any video game:

lTSMieV.jpg

We actually already got a glimpse of it in action in the Final Fantasy XV announcemnt trailer some years ago. It will probably look a lot better today, since they greatly improved the graphics by now.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Gameplay-Footage-Shows-a-Huge-and-Gorgeous-Game-World-463725-5.jpg

VqXiAuM.jpg

I wonder if @Jadeinchains knows this trailer. ;)

Jadeinchains

I was getting ready to watch this trailer to prove you wrong but I really don't know if ive watched it because I remember him sitting in a car and I think that Serpent ( which reminds me of Bayonetta 2 ) but I don't remember anything else.

Maybe I should do a trailer and gameplay watching marathon so that I will be in the know.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD