Final Fantasy Thread

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Just came from Best Buy. I looked at the Pro but ultimately didn't buy it. I will say, though, that there were a surprising amount of them in stock. A couple dozen at least, if not more. Seems that Stateside they either overdid it or don't plan another big shipment before Black Friday. Either way I can impulse buy one any time so I'm keeping an eye on how devs handle it in the coming weeks. FFXV is something I'd like to experience looking its absolute best but it's not a console-purchase-worthy game for me.

Radiance

Spent about 4 hours playing the Japanese demo. Wish I would've learned Japanese, but 11/29 is only a few weeks away so no reason in complaining. I'm in love with the open world aspect (it was only a demo, but the world was quite huge), and battle system. Seems like there will be so much to do. I don't really understand how spells work yet, but I will be grinding this game all December. BTW, where do you guys find other magic spells suchas the buffs/debuffs?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
well this finally convinced me to get a Japanese account hopefully they fixed some of the things that really bothered me in the other demo.

Which one was the other demo you played?
It's imo a night and day difference to the Platinum Demo and still a pretty big difference to Episode Duscae. They should make this demo available to everyone and immediatley delete Platinum Demo from PSN. It isn't a good representation of the game at all. Many people got the completely wrong idea.

I now finished the demo in about 3 hours and I really liked it. :) It turned out to be exactly how I expected it to be, I have to say. Probably because I followed every tiny step of this game's development, previews and demos for years, lol. If the game doesn't f*** up in it's last 1/3, I am certain I will have a lot of fun with it and it was worth the long wait.
It really reminds me of Witcher 3 fused with a traditional Final Fantasy. It's basically very similar to the first Xenoblade Chronicles. Anime inspired in style, a vast and fantastic world to explore, but you have to follow the story to progress in it, you've got an awesome party with you that is chatting all the time and the combat is real time action.
I didn't explore that much in the demo and I did only a couple of hunts. Magic crafting, using items, buying and upgrading weapons or customizing the Regalia I set completely aside. I will dive into that when I got the final game. I'll probably even refrain from starting up the demo again to not spoil me any further.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I don't want them to delete Platinum it was cute, but I can't say I wasn't disappointed with it. these demos have me weirded out by carbuncle though. I can't tell if that thing is canon yet or not because i haven't seen anything from it the main game.

My biggest hang up was the hair honestly, I knew the zoomed in textures weren't going to be an issue at release. Still doesn't look that great, but it's definitely improved and I'm rarely zoomed in close enough to notice it anyhow.

I'm curious how weapons are going to work. right now they feel fairly homogenized but then again I haven't really fought anything beyond low level enemies so that might change later on. what's the leveling system like for this game all I remmeber hearing was that it had something to do with ignis cooking, but never heard what it actually changes.

UpSideDownGRUNT

I don't want them to delete Platinum it was cute, but I can't say I wasn't disappointed with it. these demos have me weirded out by carbuncle though. I can't tell if that thing is canon yet or not because i haven't seen anything from it the main game.

My biggest hang up was the hair honestly, I knew the zoomed in textures weren't going to be an issue at release. Still doesn't look that great, but it's definitely improved and I'm rarely zoomed in close enough to notice it anyhow.

I'm curious how weapons are going to work. right now they feel fairly homogenized but then again I haven't really fought anything beyond low level enemies so that might change later on. what's the leveling system like for this game all I remmeber hearing was that it had something to do with ignis cooking, but never heard what it actually changes.
You level up the standard way really by defeating monsters and enemies, the only majour difference is that you dont fully level up until you go to camp, rent a caravan or stay at a hotel.

Don't worry about the other stuff thats just side activity stuff, Ignis levels up cooking if you camp and ask him to do different dishes(providing you have the ingredients), Noctis' angling levels up by catching fish, prompto levels up by default since hes always taking pictures. I don't how how Gladiis survival works though, I think these just do different thing Ignis prepares food with better stats, Noct can probably catch better fish, Prompto takes better photos etc.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
But what's the bennifit to leveling up. I don't see any skill trees and the only bit of onfo I can find says it "enhances Team attacks" if that's all it does then I can see myself becoming bored very quickly without a rewarding progression system.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
I watched a small clip from a friend who played the demo, looks like Iris has a bigger part in the story than just being the third wheel in Noctis's love life.

UpSideDownGRUNT

But what's the bennifit to leveling up. I don't see any skill trees and the only bit of onfo I can find says it "enhances Team attacks" if that's all it does then I can see myself becoming bored very quickly without a rewarding progression system.
Well if its gaining new skills and stuff you want, theres something that is basically the Sphere Grid from FFX.

It works the same you gain AP from battles as well experience and you use AP to buy new skills and what not in tbe Ascension Grid.

I'm not 100% on what skills and stuff there is though since its in Japanese but I assume theres stuff like HP, stength, MP etc.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Made a screen when the trailer played at the end of the demo:

25300589479_bfd5c3e966_o.png

I don't mind playing as him... o . O

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Am I the only one that finds it strange that his nickname is "adult Noctis"?

Isn't Noctis already like mid twenty's during the game? ( Also I have seen barely anything story wise for the game so If there's some reason with spoilers then I don't need to know )

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Am I the only one that finds it strange that his nickname is "adult Noctis"?

Isn't Noctis already like mid twenty's during the game? ( Also I have seen barely anything story wise for the game so If there's some reason with spoilers then I don't need to know )

Noctis (and Prompto too) is 20.
Well, for me both Noctis are just "Noctis". XD

On another note, isn't the sea in Galdin Quay so pretty?

30848212161_655658bae3_o.png

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Well if its gaining new skills and stuff you want, theres something that is basically the Sphere Grid from FFX.

It works the same you gain AP from battles as well experience and you use AP to buy new skills and what not in tbe Ascension Grid.

I'm not 100% on what skills and stuff there is though since its in Japanese but I assume theres stuff like HP, stength, MP etc.

Those aren't skills they're stats.

Hayabusiness

A lot of faces in the game look uncanny valley to me :confused: so I see where you're coming from. I just can't pinpoint what's weird about them, but as soon as I see it, I will point it out.

You can kill me now Tyaren.

Jadeinchains

Hmm I don't know older Noctis looks pretty nice there. ( Gladio and Cid are still better though ) I think the characters look great though, Gentiana and Luna are really nice, They also have the whole black and white thing going on. ( I want to see a fight scene and see if Gentiana knows how to fight )

Hayabusiness

Oh, no, the designs are not weird to me, just a considerable amount of faces.
First one that comes to mind is Luna, especially before she got fixed a bit: she has very weird eyebags and skin color. Now you can kick my ass, lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD