DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

DontForkWitMe

I think the character needs to be versatile in most situations to qualify.

Having the highest damage output in the game, the most deadly environmental setups, the only character with directional manipulation after launch, 2stun CB setups, multiple plus frame GBs with some being actual guard crushes, multiple 2in1's, good mixup game for a grappler with his chargeable strings expanding his already solid mixups, great safety, good crushes with one of the best high crushes in the game that gives him guaranteed unstaggerable stun, and guaranteed launches from sitdown setups, all while doing the usual grappler damage from throws i'd say thats pretty versatile and hes definitely higher than Rachel.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
This is my top 10;

S: genfu
A+: Leifang, Ayane, Christie, Hitomi
A:Jannlee, Hayate, Helena, Akira, Momiji

Requiem has genfu, Christie, Ayane, Leifang and Jann lee as his top 5.

EDIT: Some reasoning about the change in letter grading and some things I said earlier in my previous post. DOA5U is a very balanced game. Unlike a game such as SSF4 AE (which is also pretty balanced), character match ups have a bigger toll from top tier to say mid tier, and low tier. Some or most match ups are either favorable or really difficult for some mid tier characters versus a top tier (always depends on players of course). Thus they have SSS, SS, S, A, etc etc.

DOA5U does not have any character in the game who just flat out wrecks the cast. DOA has characters where everyone can actually fight someone else pretty well, or well enough. No one is broken or overpowered, some just have the ability to shift the momentum in their favor more often than others. While some also just seem to have better tools overall than most. That's why the letter grading starts at S, and the next is A+. In my honest opinion, I do not believe any character is terrible in this game. So I do not believe there is anything below C, which describes a character being awful if they are in D or F.

Certain characters I said were possibly top 10 earlier are not in my top 10 because I re-evaluated them and other characters who are in it. Most would think Momiji doesn't really have a lot going for her, I urge folks to look again. I also believe that Akira is the best virtua fighter character in this game compared to the other three. Who are all generally pretty strong anyway, but I don't see Sarah being any better than Akira at all.

Having frame traps and good frame advantage is always a good thing to have, but it is not the end-all-be-all of DOA. Defining practically the entire rule set of DOA is what makes a character outstanding in this game. This game has a heavy influence on environmental interaction, and the top 3 take huge advantage of that aspect, which is one reason alone why they are above everyone else (lots of characters take advantage of that but some have the ability to do it from almost everything they do, more than others).

Last edited:

Tenryuga

EIN MATCHUPS

Alpha 152: 5-5 (?)

Akira: 4-6

Ayane: 4-6

Bass: 6-4 (?)

Bayman: 5-5

Brad Wong: 6-4

Christie: 4-6

Ein: 5-5

Eliot: 6-4

Gen Fu: 4-6

Hayabusa: 5-5

Hayate: 5-5

Helena: 4-6

Hitomi: 5-5

Jacky: 5-5

Jann Lee: 5-5 (?)

Kasumi: 4-6

Kokoro: 5-5

Lisa: 5-5

Leifang: 4-6

Leon: 5-5

Marie Rose: 5-5 (?)

Mila: 4-6

Momiji: 5-5

Pai: 4-6

Rachel: 5-5

Rig: 5-5

Sarah: 4-6

Tina: 5-5 (?)

Zack: 5-5 (?)

Advantage MUs: 3

Disadvantage MUs: 10

Even MUs: 17

One's with a question mark I'm unsure about. Ein vs Marie I think could go in his favor but it's not like I've been playing solid Marie players to conclude that. All the others could be in his disadvantage or even but I want more MU exp on.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Honestly, Gen Fu is trash. The only thing he has going for him is that he hits like a truck. But all Gen Fu players will go for the same tech and it's easy to punish once you know what to look for and counter.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
Honestly, Gen Fu is trash. The only thing he has going for him is that he hits like a truck. But all Gen Fu players will go for the same tech and it's easy to punish once you know what to look for and counter.
Smh youre at this nonsense on fsd too? All genfu players do NOT use the same tech. The genfus you play are garbage. Only a handful of that are good. If its so easy to figure out and beat come to summer jam or tfc and money match me?

Tenryuga

I'm sorry but the plethora of guaranteed options, the parries, the 3P, the 11i mid, the insane rewards he gets off a stun, his wall game damage both his reset throws, the oki and idk what else must have slipped your mind. It's ok though; stuff happens.

Reactions: Zeo

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Smh youre at this nonsense on fsd too? All genfu players do NOT use the same tech. The genfus you play are garbage. Only a handful of that are good. If its so easy to figure out and beat come to summer jam or tfc and money match me?
I will probably be at TFC. But I want to face you in finals and show you the true power of the Steel Fist!

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I will probably be at TFC. But I want to face you in finals and show you the true power of the Steel Fist!

Honestly you really should be at TFC considering it's in your state. Just as well, I think it's best for you and Sweet Revenge should play a FT5 or FT10 (MM or not). It would be interesting to see.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
i would really like to hear the reasoning behind this. to me she has everything to be top3 easily.

She has a lot of issues versus the top 3, as well as Helena and Brad Wong. She also has issues with range in comparison to Akira and Jacky. She's fast, has great mix ups, good tools, very good damage, and good frame advantage. But that's really it.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Honestly you really should be at TFC considering it's in your state. Just as well, I think it's best for you and Sweet Revenge should play a FT5 or FT10 (MM or not). It would be interesting to see.
I would love to give the people a show. Show off my basic Eliot skills on stream and whatnot. Lol

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
The only chance we'd get to play in a tournament is the first round cuz you'll be in losers after that. TFC is in ur backyard. No excuses.

coffeedad

I <3 Jesus...and coffee.
Premium Donor
Eventhubs has Doa tiers tk vote on now. Pretty neat. Go vote and give doa some exposure ;)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD