The Official Dead or Alive 5 Tier List with Discussion thread

TRI Mike

Where can I find the NEC matches¿ I need to see Helena and Alpha in action. Did anyone use a decent Fang¿

ScattereDreams

Does sidestepping play a role in defining tiers? In other games like Soul Calibur and Virtua fighter, you can freely sidestep without the weight of long recovery frames and only 2 options to do from SS'ing on your shoulders. Some characters have good follow up's while sidestepping that allow them to whiff punish after successfully SS'ing an attack or interrupt a follow up in a string. Though some character have very bad start up frames on their options from SS'ing that doesn't allow them to do either, that is unless their opponent does something extremely unsafe, in which case the best option would be just to block and throw punish.

Some of the characters with great SS options are Mila, Lee, Helena, Christies command SS, Bayman's tank roll, Akira, Pai, and Akira. I hate it because it's not a universal tool that everyone can utilize equally like in other 3D fighters.

GLoRToR

I more meant the general tier list itself. But thanks for the heads up on Kasu, AP.
I'll be doing the breakdowns after Christmas or near there, then we'll trade a lot of posts in private I believe.

Jefffcore

I was wrong about Mila being able to get away from Helena's sweep after pseudo. You can't get away from it, but it hits at tip range and wont really give anything. Helena can also do 66k that has the second low or goes into BKO for a another 50/50 if you can't react to it. If there's a big enough delay Mila can crush the follow up and BKO with 3H+K. If you can hold the low you can do Mila's pseudo etc from the launch.

I'd still say the match up is more or less the same. Helena will have a hard time getting on Mila at range and Mila beats her out up close.

Murakame

Mila beats her out up close.

I'm not familiar with mila outside of her TD tactics. What makes you say this?

So does Helena's force tech game put her at top tier? Or does her lack of safety, general damage, and slow moves hurt her? It seems like her force tech game goes beyond match ups, it's an increidble tool that changes the way the game is played. I guess match ups matter to her at neuteral, but she can completely negate that.

I agree with this for the most part. If you can stop Helena from trapping you in the slaps of hell she can be taken out. So I say she isn't top tier solely because what she can do to you is limited if you take that away from her.

Jefffcore

I'm not familiar with mila outside of her TD tactics. What makes you say this?
She's faster, and has better crushes (better moves in general).

Mila's 2p beats all but a couple of her mids and puts her at +1, If she goes into BKO it stands her back up with +1, and she can't crush Mila's mids.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I more meant the general tier list itself. But thanks for the heads up on Kasu, AP.
I'll be doing the breakdowns after Christmas or near there, then we'll trade a lot of posts in private I believe.
Nobody knows still. It's starting to shape up. There's a lot of Helenas, Ayanes, & Jann Lees that have been played, but more Kasumis, Christies, Baymans, Kokoros etc played in NEC.

Zeo

Mila's 6P at i12 can pretty much beat Helena out of anything once she gets into BKO. That or 2P like Jeff said.
A smart Helena player will probably expect that though and just BKO duck it. 2P is probably still the most reliable way to get her out of BKO.

HiguraShiki

A smart Helena player will probably expect that though and just BKO duck it. 2P is probably still the most reliable way to get her out of BKO.
I know. I'm just giving you options. If the Helena player would expect it by BKO ducking, you can 2P. If she tries to do one of her faster mids in BKO, you 6P.

DR2K

Mila's 6P at i12 can pretty much beat Helena out of anything once she gets into BKO. That or 2P like Jeff said.

Helena has an 11 frame mid that crushes highs out of bokuho. Breaking her out of bokuho on block can be difficult if you aren't on point with your punishment and 2P is probably your safest bet.

GLoRToR

Nobody knows still. It's starting to shape up. There's a lot of Helenas, Ayanes, & Jann Lees that have been played, but more Kasumis, Christies, Baymans, Kokoros etc played in NEC.
Any Leifangs?
Where can I find the results?

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It's easy to say "just 2P Helena in BKO". It's difficult in practice because a good Helena player will be in BKO when you are in critical - eliminating the 2P option. This includes the "force tech" options she has after you tech off the ground from the slaps whether you're forced or not. She has numerous ways to deep stun you with that frame advantage trap and all can lead to launchers that put you back into the same situation. Yes, it's possible to "get out of it" but it's impractical to say you can "shut it down".

It's basically like giving Bass his pick-up from 6KP juggle again, and giving him +15 on it with the opponent still in his face.

Jefffcore

That's IF she stuns you. She's going to have a hard time getting there against faster characters that she can't crush. Especially characters with 2p's that give +1.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD