New Online Features Detailed for DOA5U by Famitsu

Famitsu has released information on new Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate online features. It's a short list, but are some interesting ideas.

Four-player Tag Mode Online
52147f2c19d4d.jpg

Developed and integrated due to high demand from Dead or Alive fans around the world, players will now be able to form a tag team with a comrade and fight against another team online. Additionally, players can battle in ranked tag matches in order to become #1 in the world rankings. Separate from solo matches, in tag matches Grade Points (GP) are earned for both team members with each win counting as two toward unlockable costumes.

Prize Fighter
52147f2bcf7a0.jpg

Four different ranks can be earned by winning consecutive ranked matches: Bronze Fighter, Silver Fighter, Gold Fighter and Platinum Fighter. Prize Fighters earn extra Grade Points with wins and those who defeat another Prize Fighter receive a GP bonus. Grade Points have been updated now allowing for players to earn up to Grade U from S+. Bonus GPs are rewarded when fighters move to the next grade level.

Ranked Mode now supports Tag Matches and other Online updates
52147f2b42624.jpg

Improvements made for online mode enhance gameplay, providing a smoother experience regardless of the player’s network connection, and cutting search times to find opponents for ranked matches and unranked throw downs.

Character Rankings
52147f2c5a09e.jpg

Displays a player’s skill level with each character. With the inclusion of the CP feature, players can check if their opponent is using their best character and even see where they place in the world ranking.

Source: Famitsu

Last edited:
Costumes - While Dead or Alive 5 included 114 costumes, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate will come with 231 costumes. Players will need to compete and win to unlock the entire selection.
nonononono

I'm done unlocking this shit.

231 costumes? Does that mean I can haz Brokeback Bass?
No. It means they're counting old DLC costumes in included in Ultimate as "new" costumes.

just jeep playing online like always no big deal,least they dont have the characters locked
Well, if you have to play a certain character to unlock their costumes, that would be annoying since I only play 1/2 of the characters but people who play couch with me will want the other outfits.

*Back from the summer holidays*

These are great news, I really like these additions done to the game. I only hope that the netcode will be really improved this time (overall for the sake of the game, sadly my personal connection is bad on its own).

231 costumes? Does that mean I can haz Brokeback Bass?

No. It means they're counting old DLC costumes in included in Ultimate as "new" costumes.

Yes, in that number are surely included the DoA5 DLC packs already present in the game. If I'm right, the complete new outfits included in DoA5U should be 62 (counting the reversed bunny outfits too)

The most exciting feature of this to me is the supposedly improved netcode. Tag will be when I feel like fucking around with random characters

The netcode is definitely the most important, everything else is moot if it's not improved.

2 vs 2 ranking... eh, I don't team up well with others and there are very few that want to team up with me. This I'll rarely be doing if at all.

Character ranking will be fun but only if it applies to all online modes. No one cares if you're the #1 Helena in just ranked matches. At that point it's just an extreme waste of time and potential.

Unlocking costumes... all I can say is I told you guys. I just hope I don't have to play with every character to get them... and God no I'm not touching single player again.

AHHHH! Shaping up to be what Dead or Alive 5 should have been! I really cannot wait for this to release. I am so hyped for this game. I actually have faith in them that the online this time will be a lot better. Tag is going to be so damn fun with friends. I don't understand this prize fighter thing. Is it like in exhibition mode? Like some characters will randomly have prizes? Or are they randomly attached to a player you fight online? Also, the Ultimate title will be almost unreachable for me. LOL. I'd be happy with an S to be honest. Will we have to start over, or will ranks carry over?

Well, if you have to play a certain character to unlock their costumes, that would be annoying since I only play 1/2 of the characters but people who play couch with me will want the other outfits.
If you do it in tag arcade/time attack it goes by pretty fast plus you can pick your main as the second character and just use them for all 5 matches.

ranked tag mode? COOL!!! im the one who asked for that, i guaruntee u the white guy with glasses told team ninja about it after he read my topic here, fuck yeah im the best

More details on the new systems were revealed on TN's official site.

Team Ninja said:
New Mode! 2-on-2 Online

- In response to popular demand, a "2-on-2 online" cooperative online tag mode has finally been added! For the first time ever in a DOA game, form a tag team with a friend and fight against another tag team online.

To put your tag team together, create a lobby with the match type set to "Tag" and search for a partner from the lobby menu.

Now you're ready to choose your characters and costumes and start the fight!

Teamwork is crucial in a tag team match. The key is to time your tags well and take advantage of move chains and combos that let you continue your partner's attack.

Pretty much knew this already. It's a cool feature that shouldn't have been lost in the first place. It'll be strengthened by a better netcode, it'll all but necessary in order for this mode to be worth anything. Either way sounds good and well played.

Team Ninja said:
New System: Prize Fighters

- Players who win a certain number of consecutive ranked matches will earn the status of Prize Fighter.

- Prize Fighters gets extra GP when they win a match. Players who defeat a Prize Fighter can also get a GP bonus.

So that's what prize fighter means. A title for win streaks. That's pretty cool indeed. Hm... ranking up looks like it's going to be pretty easy for me. I don't see myself having this Prize Fighter status very often but I'll more than likely be ending a LOT of streaks regularly so bonus points are awesome.

They better had changed it where you can only see your opponent's connection, that cherry-picking bullcrap needs to go and people need to man up and fight the opponent they get, no question.

Team Ninja said:
New Character Points (CP) and Added Grades

- In previous DOA5 games, the highest Grade was S+. In DOA5U, the new, even higher Grade "U" has been added, so even the highest tier of players can push themselves to the next level. Titles are earned based on fight records carried over from DOA5 in addition to your fight records in DOA5U, so if you were going for 3,000 victories to get the title, you can simply pick up where you left off!

- Character Points is a new feature that shows how proficient you are with each character. Not only that, but for each character you can check out where you stand in the world ranking. Try to become #1 in the world with your favorite character!

A little annoying seeing as I went on a grind to get that 3000 win Akira title before 5U came out but I'm still satisfied with the achievement especially considering I won't be using him as much in Ultimate. Plus that means I'm still only 900 or so away from the Hayate title. Still I hope Vanilla wins just count towards titles and aren't factored into your actual 5U win/loss record. I'd really like to start fresh and get a better win ratio than I have.

Still on the fence about Character Points. If it applies to all online match types then it'll be awesome and a really fun feature. If it applies only to ranked matches then it's pointless and a waste of time. Not to mention that would make the character ranking leaderboards even more inaccurate than they probably already will be.

Team Ninja said:
New feature: Ranked Tag Matches

- You can now fight in ranked tag matches! Compete for #1 with other tag teams around the world! Your Grade for tag matches is now separate from your solo match Grade. In tag matches, you earn GP for not only your own character, but your partner's character as well, and each tag match counts as 2 matches toward unlocking costumes.

Not interested. I don't pair well with others and I certainly don't want to be graded for it. Will rarely be using this mode. Interested in seeing how it works though.

Team Ninja said:
Online Improvements

- Changes have been made to each online mode, making online play smoother than ever. Use the upgraded matchmaking system to find your perfect opponent, and enjoy fights the way they were meant to be played with less network-related lag.

God yes the best announcement of them all. Still have doubts and worries about the netcode but promises of improved matchmaking and gameplay leave me cautiously hopeful. All the other new modes and additions all depend on the success of the netcode improving. It'll be very disappointing if it doesn't live up to expectations.

September 3rd is going to be a very interesting day. I sincerely hope it's for good reasons and not disappointing ones.

And... oh yeah, before I forget.

Team Ninja said:
- In response to popular demand, a "2-on-2 online" cooperative online tag mode has finally been added! For the first time ever in a DOA game, form a tag team with a friend and fight against another tag team online.

Um... wrong?...

250px-Doa4cover.jpg

I was confused too when they said "for the first time ever in a DOA game, form a tag team with a friend and fight against another tag team online."
I mean...did they forget about DOA4?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD