New Online Features Detailed for DOA5U by Famitsu

Famitsu has released information on new Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate online features. It's a short list, but are some interesting ideas.

Four-player Tag Mode Online
52147f2c19d4d.jpg

Developed and integrated due to high demand from Dead or Alive fans around the world, players will now be able to form a tag team with a comrade and fight against another team online. Additionally, players can battle in ranked tag matches in order to become #1 in the world rankings. Separate from solo matches, in tag matches Grade Points (GP) are earned for both team members with each win counting as two toward unlockable costumes.

Prize Fighter
52147f2bcf7a0.jpg

Four different ranks can be earned by winning consecutive ranked matches: Bronze Fighter, Silver Fighter, Gold Fighter and Platinum Fighter. Prize Fighters earn extra Grade Points with wins and those who defeat another Prize Fighter receive a GP bonus. Grade Points have been updated now allowing for players to earn up to Grade U from S+. Bonus GPs are rewarded when fighters move to the next grade level.

Ranked Mode now supports Tag Matches and other Online updates
52147f2b42624.jpg

Improvements made for online mode enhance gameplay, providing a smoother experience regardless of the player’s network connection, and cutting search times to find opponents for ranked matches and unranked throw downs.

Character Rankings
52147f2c5a09e.jpg

Displays a player’s skill level with each character. With the inclusion of the CP feature, players can check if their opponent is using their best character and even see where they place in the world ranking.

Source: Famitsu

Last edited:
I miss DOA4's ranking system, where every lobby match affected your grade, and instead of being able to lock yourself into one grade permanently, you were always at risk of going back down or gaining a new one.

yeaaaah no. i got dropped down to an F- rank cause i kept fighting Awesmic which if it was just that wouldn't bother me cause i already know i suck,but that F- rank nearly ruined the game for me because i was barley allowed to play any matches cause everyone kept kicking me out.

There's no way to avoid ranking up characters you use though, unless you simply don't use them. If character ranking applies to both ranked and player/lobby matches then you're ranking up/down in some way no matter what you're playing. The only way not to rank up would be to lose or simply not use that character.

This is of course assuming character ranking applies to both ranked and player/lobby matches, don't see why it wouldn't. Would be very inaccurate if it only applied to ranked as not everyone plays ranked. This could be potentially disappointing.

There's no way to avoid ranking up characters you use though, unless you simply don't use them. If character ranking applies to both ranked and player/lobby matches then you're ranking up/down in some way no matter what you're playing. The only way not to rank up would be to lose or simply not use that character.

This is of course assuming character ranking applies to both ranked and player/lobby matches, don't see why it wouldn't. Would be very inaccurate if it only applied to ranked as not everyone plays ranked. This could be potentially disappointing.
I dont care for rank, its stupid. It doesn't reward you with anything. Its just a scoring grade for how many matches you do. I played a few rank, (thats how I got to F+) but it didn't make me no better afterwards... and add that on potential lag?.... yeah no thanks.

Aaaaaand that's why I miss 4's ranking system. You were always gaining/losing points with every win or loss respectively. Grades weren't just something you had to join ranked for - they were constantly changing with every single match and did a far better job reflecting a player's skills (assuming they played a wide range of players) than it does now.

What makes character rankings potentially fun and interesting in 5U is that they might apply to all types of online matches which would in tern reflect your skill with that character as it drops when you lose and raises when you win. Similar to 4 but honestly makes for more flexibility. I'm all for it.

I'd much rather be a "U" Ein and an "F-" Ayane than be a "D" or "C" overall because I decided to pick Ayane and lost to a few lower levels.

Aaaaaand that's why I miss 4's ranking system. You were always gaining/losing points with every win or loss respectively. Grades weren't just something you had to join ranked for - they were constantly changing with every single match and did a far better job reflecting a player's skills (assuming they played a wide range of players) than it does now.
5's netcode is too horrible for me to feel like it's fair to be graded on every match I fight.

That's why they show us connections now. And I hear they're improving the netcode. But in any case, the wouldn't implement a change like that anyways. They seem content with their current system.

I used to tag up alot in doa 4 i cant wait me and my gurl reached our goal we sended team ninja plenty of msgs telling them they need to bring it back so happy yay :)

I find the character ranking thing interesting. It'll be a good way to find reference videos while playing, I did the same thing for BlazBlue. When picking up a character, find a top player on the leaderboard and watch the replays involving the character rather than having to go through every rank in order to find a video for the character. Of course, you could just go straight to youtube but it's always easier just to go to the leaderboards if you're already playing. I like it! =]

I pray to god that the netcode is fixed. I can imagine all the faces of everyone getting ready to play a match and the lag is still the same. Let's all hope TN did it.

Lol, true! And it would be so awesome EU player can play with US/JP Player without noticable lag, but that is probaly not realistic!

I Love tag and I am better in Tag than in Solo. Ultimate is coming but I need a good Tag partner for 360 I want to play 4 vs 4 Tag Online. In DOA4 I had so much fun. I have a bad feeling too because the netcode from DOA is very bad. I hope that we can only get these GP in Rank Matches. It could be possible that we get the character rank though winning doesnt matter in rank or lobby matches. Does somebody know If our actual rank goes to Ultimate or do we can transfer our rank to Ultimate ?

• 2 vs. 2 Tag Mode - Developed and integrated due to high demand from Dead or Alive fans around the world, players will now be able to form a tag team with a comrade and fight against another team online. Additionally, players can battle in ranked tag matches in order to become #1 in the world rankings. Separate from solo matches, in tag matches Grade Points (GP) are earned for both team members with each win counting as two toward unlockable costumes.
  • “Prize Fighter” Ranking - Four different ranks can be earned by winning consecutive ranked matches: Bronze Fighter, Silver Fighter, Gold Fighter and Platinum Fighter. Prize Fighters earn extra Grade Points with wins and those who defeat another Prize Fighter receive a GP bonus. Grade Points have been updated now allowing for players to earn up to Grade U from S+. Bonus GPs are rewarded when fighters move to the next grade level.
  • Character Points - Displays a player’s skill level with each character. With the inclusion of the CP feature, players can check if their opponent is using their best character and even see where they place in the world ranking.
  • Online Improvements - Improvements made for online mode enhance gameplay, providing a smoother experience regardless of the player’s network connection, and cutting search times to find opponents for ranked matches and unranked throw downs.
  • Costumes - While Dead or Alive 5 included 114 costumes, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate will come with 231 costumes. Players will need to compete and win to unlock the entire selection.

Gematsu.com.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD