Latest Tekken Tag Tournament 2 trailer: Another jab at DoA5?

D Glock

ypfkA.jpg

Shinigamimatt

100 swimsuits? And DOA will still be considered pure fan service while Tekken will be utterly praised for it. Tekken is gonna crush DOA once it launches. DOA stands no chance. Ouch.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
The marketing is brilliant from Bamco. You can't deny that they know exactly how to pitch TTT2U as the best fighter launching in September. They're basically firing a shot over the DoA5's bow every single time a marketing angle is taken by TK.Oh, you're giving away bikini DLC in your CE? We're giving away 100 bikini's just for pre-ordering! You're a fighter? We are Tekken! They're also taking jabs at Capcom in their marketing while they're at it. No mercy.

Lol. I'm not a huge Tekken fan but Harada and Co. know what the fuck they're doing.

Shinigamimatt

100 swimsuits sounds a little crazy. I assume at least more than half are just re-colors. That said, Tekken didn't need swimsuits to sell their game. This is just a finishing blow just in case DOA actually had a tiny chance.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
That's more than a little fatalistic. DoA has a relatively dedicated built-in fanbase that will buy it day one just because it's a DoA game. That coupled with the fact that TTT2 will NOT be very noob-friendly at all (I got absolutely bodied by the people playing at Evo and I knew what I was doing with the character I picked) means that DoA isn't actually competing directly at all. More people that are double-dipping were picking up TTT2 anyway and considering DoA than the other way around. I don't honestly think Tekken can cannibalize DoA's sales all that much.

Scott

Bottom line is that Tekken has always had better character customization. T6's customization was deep enough that you could turn pretty much any character into something you enjoyed looking at. The fact that they are offering 94(?) more swimsuits doesn't really matter that much. If it were up to me there would be zero swimsuits in DOA so that people would take the game more seriously. Maybe I'm just being a stick in the mud. TTT2 is pretty much a fan service game because the moves, aside from a few tweaks and new characters are the same. TTT2 builds upon what you learned in T6 and rewards you with sick ass combos.

If Tekken considers DOA competition then I think thats a step in the right direction for us. I'll be buying both, but I'm excited to see hype for both games.

Shinigamimatt

I do find it interesting that both the big name fighting games this year have taken swipes at DOA5. I wonder what exactly DOA5 has done to get other fighters to be wary of it.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
To Scott: character customization isn't as big a draw as you might think. People like to see the bullet point on the box but more often than not you see normal characters online and T6 was a big show of that. SCV had quite a bit more customization online but still I was seeing more normal, uncustomized characters.

Matt...you're looking at it in a kind of weird way. Other than releasing close to Tekken, DoA hasn't done anything to make the competition wary. I'd say this kind of marketing, aside from just being in Harada's character, is more due to EVERY company's wariness of releasing a game into a market that's close to becoming over-saturated. The companies know they're sort of racing against the clock because too many fighters are coming out so close to each other and this isn't a problem any of them have had to deal with since the late '90's. That's pretty much it.

Shinigamimatt

I understand. It is weird that all these fighters are coming out at the same time. Even still, DOA is getting attacked and countered by other fighters. I mean has that Marvel fighter attacked TTT2 or vise versa? I know it's mostly because of how close they're being released, but seriously? 100 Swimsuits? That specifically looks like it was attacking DOA.

TTT2 is basically saying: "You know the only thing going for DOA is fan service? Well Tekken now does it better!"

DyByHands

Now I will say... People only play TTT2 for the boobs. They just make women sexual objects with these swimsuits and try to sell the game based on such. ;)

Shinigamimatt

I'm going with Cyber on this.

No TRUE DOA fan (Which there are MANY of) is gonna not buy DOA cuz there are swimsuits in Tekken.

They're gonna buy TTT2 cuz they like Tekken (Me) but are still getting DOA on day one.
I meant the casuals that aren't exactly hardcore fans of DOA. I've seen plenty of people not sure which to get. But yeah, this won't hurt DOA's sales much at all.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
That's probably true but historically a large amount of DoA costumes were color swaps as well. Kasumi and Lei-Fang in particular.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD