IGN Pro League DOA5 Pro Gaming Tournament

DrDogg

E3 Tournament Info
June 5-7 Tecmo-Koei's Booth #2047

Kicking off at E3 with an exciting competition, the IPL’s DEAD OR ALIVE 5 pro gaming tournament will continue throughout the summer culminating in the crowning of the “I’m a Fighter” world champion shortly before the game’s September launch. The E3 tournament will qualify the first set of finalists for the tournament series to find the ultimate DOA5 champion, with each match streamed on large screens at Tecmo-Koei's E3 booth and live broadcast on doa.ign.com. Aspiring fighters are encouraged to sign up at the TKA booth, located in the South Hall, Booth #2047. Come early for the best viewing spots as crowds are sure to gather!

The E3 portion of the tournament is divided into 4 pools with a top 8 tournament final:
- Tuesday, June 5th: 1PM: 1st Pool | 4PM: 2nd Pool
- Wednesday, June 6th: 12PM: 3rd Pool | 3PM: 4th Pool
- Thursday, June 7th: 12PM: Top 8 Finals

Each pool will have a total of 16 players, with the top 2 advancing on to the final 8 on Thursday. There will be special guests on the live broadcast, as well as a few surprised that I know you guys will enjoy.

As mentioned on the Facebook link, the E3 build consists of 12 characters and 6 stages. Once E3 is live and broadcasting, I'll be able to answer more in-depth questions on the E3 build. There will also be in-depth articles (including frame data) on the IGN DOA5 page during E3.

IPL Stream and DOA5 Info Page: http://doa.ign.com

Players Attending:
- Marie "Kayane" Norindr
- Adande "sWooZie" Thorne
- Vanessa Arteaga
- Emmanuel "Master" Rodriguez
- Sebastian "Chosen1" Burton

Commentators:
- Erik "Rikuto" Argetsinger
- Kat "Mystik" Gunn

I know grap3 created the other thread, but this will cover all of the events in the summer-long tournament, and since I'm running all of the events, it will be much easier if I can directly update the OP with new information. This is the first of many events, and the only one that is limited to people within the industry. If you guys are up for traveling, you'll have a shot at winning one of the tournaments throughout the summer.

If you have any questions or comments about the tournament, this is the best place to discuss it. I'm sure we'll create another thread once E3 begins for gameplay questions and info.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Finally, public bitching is possible. Manufactured Titles: The Return.

Raansu

Players Attending:
- Kayane
- sWooZie
- Vanessa
- Master
- Chosen1

I fucking called it.

Chosen1 is trash and I'm tired of seeing him getting a free ride.

People like AP, Rikuto, PL, Mamba etc... should be getting access to this stuff and not just the same clique that humps TN's leg every day.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
At least Erik can bring some legitimate commentary. No pressure bro.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
If there is a legitimate cash prize I might lace em up one last time.

It would cost you about $1000 to enter the compound without affiliation to an industry company, plus the trip cost. I can't imagine a cash prize being that high to equal it.

Soul Calibur's Kayane?

Her first two tournament experiences were with DOA2, and her gaming name comes from her tag team of choice Kasumi & Ayane (Ka-yane). She's been a fan of the series but the Soul Calibur games provided more competition.

DrDogg

It's not even that it's the same few people being given opportunity, it's that everyone else still getting neglected that upsets me.

There will be multiple events. This is just the first. It's being done at E3 to kick things off. I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who wants to compete in the summer-long event will be able to so long as they can travel.

The main thing here is not necessarily the tournament series. Instead of reading articles by people who don't know fighting games, or watching a few low quality cell phone videos, you get to see hours upon hours of DOA5 matches from E3, along with a few surprises.

You also get multiple articles from me, offering in-depth details on the E3 build and you can directly ask me questions about said articles and the build in general. Without the "tournament" and broadcast, you wouldn't be getting any of that.

As far as E3 coverage is concerned, the summer-long tournament is secondary. The next few events is where the tournament will take center stage.

People like AP, Rikuto, PL, Mamba etc... should be getting access to this stuff and not just the same clique that humps TN's leg every day.

Rikuto will be there...

Will DoA5 be at EVO?

No, but it will be at a big tournament over the summer.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The main thing here is not necessarily the tournament series. Instead of reading articles by people who don't know fighting games, or watching a few low quality cell phone videos, you get to see hours upon hours of DOA5 matches from E3, along with a few surprises.
I don't know if my poor heart can take any more of these "surprises." Despite getting high quality footage, I don't see us getting much info outside of yourself and Rikuto posting. The others like to stay in their own clique and keep things secret. They had the DOA5 Alpha Demo early too, were any of them detailing any changes? Of course not. Who was? Mr. Wah was streaming for 2+ hours and answering questions in real time. Those same people went to the Dimensions event last year and we got zero information from them. If not for yourself and Rikuto (I'm not familiar with Mystik), then we would be getting zero info out of the event outside of videos that may as well be as poorly played by press who aren't familiar with fighters.

Rikuto will be there...
Is the world's best Bayman player actively participating in the event? Nope, he's just providing commentary. The fact that he's getting to do that much is a blessing I suppose.

No, but it will be at a big tournament over the summer.
When's this tournament? When will find out at least? The week before like with this? People have known when Evo would be taking place for some time. They have plenty of time to prep travel arrangements and what not.

For the record, I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed because I just see 2006 repeating before my eyes and it's a shame. I might just skip DOA5 altogether at this point and focus on something else.

Tenren

its thing like this that TN is doing that is slowly pushing me away from DOA. I dont see how having a tournament at E3 and not even showing the game at EVO is going to help. Plus inviting just a few people who are only know inside of the DOA community. This leads me to believe that they really dont care what people think who will actually play the game and just want to get good reviews. VF5FS is looking better by the min which makes me sad cuz DOA is my fav out of the two.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
hang on ...
12 characters ... 6 stages ...

hayabusa
hayate
ayane
hitomi
kasumi
akira
leifang
zack
christie
bayman ... thats 10

then we have the stages ... rooftop/waterfall/circus/warzone ...

so ... we're only getting 2 characters and 2 stages ...
:(

Awesmic

Standard Donor
So going by these responses and this sudden scare of a repeat of what happened in Japan, I shouldn't have been too excited about this turn of events. My fault.

Maybe if I'm lucky, Christie will get enough playtime in this build. But for now, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Well you have 59 other contenders at the very least who can pick Christie, boob sweat and all.

Raansu

hang on ...
12 characters ... 6 stages ...

hayabusa
hayate
ayane
hitomi
kasumi
akira
leifang
zack
christie
bayman ... thats 10

then we have the stages ... rooftop/waterfall/circus/warzone ...

so ... we're only getting 2 characters and 2 stages ...
:(

Yes we will only see 2 new characters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD