How They Nerfed The Hold

DrDogg

From where I'm standing though, those were the only incidents I have ever seen in the last 7 years that ever directly changed the course that Team Ninja was heading on.

You're forgetting the time when Itagaki found out about 3.1 Bass at high levels and decided that a ninja should never lose to a wrestler... and subsequently removed all the goodness of 3.1 from the final version of DOA4.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I was around for that actually Grap3.

Itagaki didn't listen to us though... he just looked at the video and drew his own horrifying conclusion from it. In fact that's exactly what I'm talking about :(

To word it better, those are the only incidents where we've been able to TELL THEM something and have THAT effect their course.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Took his own conclusion... like the number of low-level players who claimed instant brokenness from those videos? That video did more harm than good lol.

Thanks a lot, Tom!

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Yea seriously fuck you Bill.

I want the seven years of my life back that I could have been enjoying. Why you gota go and try to educate people? Damn.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I've been playing 3.1 during those 7 years... I can't say that I didn't enjoy it.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
Ah .. 3.1 .. the glory days...
And everyone was making fun of me cuz i had an xbox n it was all i played... I still have my 2 black hori sticks on it (i think 1 of them broke tho.. lol.. need to buy some parts)

I have to say doa5 feels like an amazing step up ..

As much as doa4 had amazing ideas in terms of character updates and stages.. messing up the hold/stun balance really destroyed it... And i feel it alot more now after playing the alpha demo for so long.. seriously how the hell was i enjoying it? :s

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I think holds are finnaly where they should be. We now have another universal defense..ss which will provide another layer of options for us to utilize. Holds no longer need to be the big bad wolf of series and can fit in harmony with the rest of the defense tools.

RoboJoe

I'm certainly excited for sidesteps, they add a new layer of not just defense, but also offense through half circular and full circular moves, especially if the sidestep is tightened up a bit to make it even more useful.

DR2K

I don't think SS are strong enough. Weaker than any other 3d fighting game. I agree with Robo Joe, they need to be tightened.

It would be cool if training mode would explictly state if a move can be side stepped.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I think the problem most is having with side stepping is the fact it actually require some effort to pull off...compared to dealing with the 7 year crutch we had been babied with. Also dealing with a new set of rules for using ss. I have faith that we will master it, and it becoming a staple of the fight!

DrDogg

I haven't look at that data for that. Only for the frames have I looked at it. Where does it tell you what tracks in that window?

At the bottom where it lists the move height and what it is (strike, grab, etc.). It says "Tracking" or "No Tracking".

BlackOrochi

Shhh... (The odds of Side-Stepping can't be too high, or else people will complain and come up with ideas such as 2pt Side-Stepping : High/Mid & Low) lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD