How They Nerfed The Hold

Berzerk!

Excellent work. Very measured and informative. I'm sure we'll have more information alongside E3 that can update this article relatively easily.

Berzerk!

What this article made me realize is that due to the hold frame recover you could technically punish a low hold on reaction with a 16i mid launcher. Mainly because even on reaction + the 16i you're in the recovery of the hold window of 18 frames.

This is a good point and one of the answers to the "guessing game" for the attacker, if characters have solid launchers for hitting at both High and Mid heights, the defender will have to rely on solid blocking skills more than throwing out a counter, including low counters, because a mid launch (probably from a 2-in-1) will allow guaranteed damage.

DrDogg

I will be very, very happy if my character(s) can punish a low hold with a launch on reaction. However, if it's not a uniform punishment (or at least equal damage for the whole cast), it could give a huge advantage to some characters.

Berzerk!

Yeah, if not uniform, a good mid causing stun leading to a better launch or, fingers crossed, unholdable option, would need to be an alternative.

d3v

What this article really needs is an explanation of how "stun" in DOA is different from "hitstun."

Berzerk!

What this article really needs is an explanation of how "stun" in DOA is different from "hitstun."
And Slow Escaping, if I catch your drift and you're thinking of how this reads to players outside the community.

d3v

And Slow Escaping, if I catch your drift and you're thinking of how this reads to players outside the community.
Yep.

When non-DOA FGC people read "stun" they automatically think "hitstun" (which is basically what happens when you're hit in any fighter) and not the DOA concept of it.

DrDogg

Yep.

When non-DOA FGC people read "stun" they automatically think "hitstun" (which is basically what happens when you're hit in any fighter) and not the DOA concept of it.

Capcom players think "hitstun". Tekken and Soul Calibur players think of "stun" in the same way that DOA has stuns.

Chris Harris

Yea there are a lot of things that crossed my mind to put in but I didn't want to write a book is all. It was more or less to show that the hold in DoA 5 was nerfed and how it would affect the game in general. Once E3 comes out hopefully I'll get to see it and I can write some updates on the system.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
DrDogg said:
LOL at the first comment... Carl saying Team Ninja worked closely with him and DOA Central (plus FSD) to make adjustments to the game.

Wow... just wow.

It is funny considering doacentral was non existant in this equation, and fsd providing the most support for the reconfiguration of the game! Give credit where credit is due.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
It is funny considering doacentral was non existant in this equation, and fsd providing the most support for the reconfiguration of the game! Give credit where credit is due.

To be fair, he did go on that ballsy interview where he basically told them "hey, you all fucked up and we didn't appreciate it."

Much as anyone may or may not like to admit it, that opened a lot of doors of consideration on our behalf. Carl can be an ass depending on who you ask, but it takes someone like that to kick in those doors and get things moving sometimes. They didn't even think there was anything wrong with the game before that.

Who else was relevant enough and going to tell them? Master? No, he'd just kiss their ass because that's all he's good for. Mamba? I'm sure he'd be blunt about his feelings on the game but he probably wouldn't care enough to pursue an interview since he's got other things going on.

Reactions: d3v

DrDogg

To be fair, he did go on that ballsy interview where he basically told them "hey, you all fucked up and we didn't appreciate it."

Much as anyone may or may not like to admit it, that opened a lot of doors of consideration on our behalf. Carl can be an ass depending on who you ask, but it takes someone like that to do those things on occasion. They didn't even think there was anything wrong with the game before that.

To be fair, there have been a lot of influential people when it comes to DOA5... yet the only person Carl named specifically was himself.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
To be fair, there have been a lot of influential people when it comes to DOA5... yet the only person Carl named specifically was himself.

Yea, but that's just Carl being an ass. This isn't new to anyone.

And I'll give credit where it's due... and the amount I mentioned is what's due. Nothing more. I'd just rather that much wasn't overshadowed just because Carl can't not be an ass when he gets the opportunity to do so.

Sometimes, like this particular instance, it was pretty beneficial.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
But how much of the door was kicked down to say you "worked closely with team ninja"? Im pretty sure you remember how surprised shimbori was when we explained to him why doa4 was so bad, and how 3.1 was the direction he should be taking doa. Carl had some impact, but it was no where near the effect we had on shimbori. We had the guy playing 3.1 at did7.

Like I said, give credit where credit is due. Not to forget Matt sending in feedback and concerns that we had, you and drdogg being the most vocal out of all of us on the forums for major changes. If anything, one would say he is glad that we the community is being heard, not try to take the bulk of the credit, when that bulk goes to fsd. Maybe its that whole "say what" thread, but I dont want time to repeat itself, with one person thinking beyond and above the community.

Not to forget, Chris should have recieved props for writing the article, and allowing it to be posted at SRK.

Berzerk!

I wonder if Carl will finally deign to join FSD, I asked him a while back on twitter and he said "ugh, rather not. Not down to argue about anything". Too bad, as just lurking would be benificial, but in light of vp's comments it's important to be part of, and be seen to be part of, this community.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Once again, Carl did not "work closely with team ninja" as he claimed. That was BS and I'm not defending that ridiculous statement. But do you honestly believe that Shimbori would have even been half as receptive to checking out 3.1 if someone hadn't put that doubt in his mind about 4 being complete garbage? Team Ninja never appeared to have given a damn what we thought prior to that.

He was receptive largely because he knew people were unhappy with the game after Carl's little tirade, he just didn't have a full understanding as to why.... because nobody can stand to talk with Carl for longer than five minutes to actually find out. Hell, Peter probably wasn't even translating half of what Carl said accurately because he either didn't know how, or he deemed it not appropriate to do so in that environment with a Japanese developer.

But Carl did something nobody else in this community could do, which was be a relevant person while shitting all over the game right in front of the director. Sorwah does not have the heart to tell someone their game is terrible, but it had to be said for any of what was done at DID 7 to take any kind of effect.

Carl gave the harsh, blunt criticism nobody else high-profile enough would, Sorwah gave the solution in a polite, educated, and friendly manner. It was an uncoordinated one-two punch, and it worked.

Now if Drdogg knows about other folks who were harassing team ninja on a daily basis and actually making progress, well then that's news to me. From where I'm standing though, those were the only incidents I have ever seen in the last 7 years that ever directly changed the course that Team Ninja was heading on. I won't give Carl more credit than he is due on this (even though he seems to want it), but it does seem as though his tirade was more than a little necessary.

Also, Carl has an account here... he just doesn't use it much.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD