DOA5 Is "Not Looking to be a Technical Fighter"

Tenren

yah really good chance its not lol. I can see FSDC just reset you back to neutral and the other player is to far off to do anything.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
"So, what's your special four letter term?"
"Uh, we got FSDC."
"Oh? That sounds cool, what is it about?"
"It stand for Free Step Dodge Cancel."
"Oh? You mean like korean backdash cancel?"
"Uh, close."
"Oh, I get it...man, you guys are ancient. So...it wasn't anything special like a challenging move or anything?"
"Uh...nope."
"...So, you wanna play some street fighter?"
"Yeah. Yeah, I guess."

Berzerk!

"So, what's your special four letter term?"
"Uh, we got FSDC."
"Oh? That sounds cool, what is it about?"
"It stand for Free Step Dodge Cancel."
"Oh? You mean like korean backdash cancel?"
"Uh, close."
"Oh, I get it...man, you guys are ancient. So...it wasn't anything special like a challenging move or anything?"
"Uh...nope."
"...So, you wanna play some street fighter?"
"Yeah. Yeah, I guess."

FADC isn't a challenging move either. It's holding buttons and dash.

I, for one, am extremely positive about the upcoming DOA5. Especially from a programming standpoint, as there is so much that they can do.

You all might be apprehensive about power blows, but I see it as TN experimenting with multiple gamestates. We now have the "standard" game state and the "Cliffhanger" game state, which could be expanded even further into a "freefall" game state or a "sliding" game state. Your options change as you switch between them.

Another thing we need to pay attention to is the scenery. Given what we already know there are events triggered when a player is hit into certain sections of the background. Again, this can be expanded. For example, what if hitting a character into a certain section of the background set fire to it and then caused it to explode (splash damage/ block/holdable) after a set amount of time. Which would then expand the fighting stage. Or maybe taking out pillars would cause the cieling to collapse (Splash damge, hold only) after a certain amount of time which would then create a hill or half wall where the debris fell.

While there are issues with the game (balance/sidestepping) we have to be aware of what possibilities there are for the new features in gameplay. The Cliffhanger scenario is a de facto mixup, it's just hard coded into the game. If the stage scenarios in the last paragraph happen we might be able to implement stage based pressure and mixups.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
TN programmers were always the type of people who never minded a crazy challenge, especially back in the day. They got some really talented engineers that tend to make these very optimized engines that can load in assets and resources in no time (DOA2 Hardcore). When VF4 got released, you could notice the jaggies from far away, though that was probably because sega didn't bother with doing any form of anti-aliasing on models until they made enough profit for VF4Evo. Though by then, DOA3 was out and that looked really pretty. Much prettier than most other fighting games.

And since TN's head is a guy who comes from a technical background, I'm personally looking forward to seeing more attention paid to technical rather than the cosmetic side of the games.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
We now have the "standard" game state and the "Cliffhanger" game state, which could be expanded even further into a "freefall" game state or a "sliding" game state.

See, I'm not opposed to having different game states, provided these game states have their own depth and rules to them. But we're not talking depth here, we're talking about a graphical interface that displays a very pretty result with you flip a coin and it lands on heads. When it doesn't, you return to the previous game state, ie the normal game.

Yea, the potential is definitely there, but I just don't trust team ninja to do that since Hayashi seems to favor simple mechanics that look shiny but have little function. What worries me right now is we are going to learn he is the type of guy who forces his "vision" onto the players, kind of like what he did with NG3's terrible qte and bone cutting nonsense which slows the game down quite a bit. He even put that garbage into the competitive multiplayer aspect of the game, where it completely breaks the flow of the game making players invincible for the duration of the dramatized cut.

Also, news for Hayashi -- Katana's don't get stuck in bones unless the wielder is bad. They used to stack prisoners up toghether and cut through their bodies to grade how good a sword was. Yes, it took one swing to go through several bodies and yes they were that fucking sharp. It was real life.

Apparently in Hayashi's vision a super ninja capable of flying, ninpo, slaying archfiends and taking down the statue of liberty isn't capable of something a low class samurai could do.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
I don't know shit about NG, but from what I remember back in early 2000 era, TN did some pretty baller stuff that let them compete in the terms of the visuals.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Oh no doubt. They had that one huge load screen, and then after that most of the game flowed seemless. The first NG they put on the xbox is one of the single best action games ever made, and they've refined it a lot over the years with the re-releases. NG2 had issues and wasn't nearly as good, but it still trumped a hell of a lot of other games out there.

NG3, sadly, is falling really really really far below the bar. I mean it sucks to say that because it's gonna still be a fun game, but it went from being beyond outstanding, to being great, to being good. The talent and the tech, it's all there, but they are making very deliberate decisions to steadily sink that ship. It's really perplexing.

Also, I don't see hayates sword getting stuck when he uses it.

Black Dragon

Oh no doubt. They had that one huge load screen, and then after that most of the game flowed seemless. The first NG they put on the xbox is one of the single best action games ever made, and they've refined it a lot over the years with the re-releases. NG2 had issues and wasn't nearly as good, but it still trumped a hell of a lot of other games out there.

NG3, sadly, is falling really really really far below the bar. I mean it sucks to say that because it's gonna still be a fun game, but it went from being beyond outstanding, to being great, to being good. The talent and the tech, it's all there, but they are making very deliberate decisions to steadily sink that ship. It's really perplexing.

Also, I don't see hayates sword getting stuck when he uses it.

NG's timeline is set before DOA. Easy explanation: Hayate sharpened his sword after the NG events and shit.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Japanese swords are not sharpened after creation, they are polished and this is rare.

And every polishing actually degrades the original value and performance of the sword, even though it is a necessary process.

If you attempt to sharpen a japanese sword, you may as well take it out back and break it with a rock.

See, I'm not opposed to having different game states, provided these game states have their own depth and rules to them. But we're not talking depth here, we're talking about a graphical interface that displays a very pretty result with you flip a coin and it lands on heads. When it doesn't, you return to the previous game state, ie the normal game.
I don't remember the specifics about the cliffhanger but if I remember correctly both players had two options (technically 3 if "nothing" is an option). As I said, it's a de facto mixup because it requires both players to guess what the other is going to do. I can't say it's the best way to go about things (it would probably be better mechanically if it wasn't a cinematic) but it does have tactical value.

You may keep on going on about how it's a coin flip but keep in mind that most of DoA is roshambo.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD