DOA5 Is "Not Looking to be a Technical Fighter"

Allan Paris

Lets say that DOA5 DOES actually get based off of DOA3.1 [this does not seem unlikely at all imo, TN has its ears open and im pretty sure FSD are shouting the loudest, or are indeed the only ones shouting at all] Now lets add to that the "True SS" [I hope] and their fancy graphics and dynamic views. Is this actually enough to [1] wipe away everybody's stupid impressions of DOA as a whole [2] give birth to a next-gen community big enough to cement DOA as a valid online competitor, knowing that our rivals are the EXTREMELY popular SC and Tekken series [3] Please the Oririnal DOA community i.e YOU GUYZ.
It seems like an insanely tall order if you ask me

If DOA5 is good then rebuilding the community can start. If it's bad then we stay in the same position we are in now. There aren't any other options. Competition online only goes so far, offline competition is where its at.

Berzerk!

If DOA5 is bad then we just keep playing other games like most of us have been. It will make my gaming life less busy with SSF4, VF5FS and SC5 being focuses already.

If DOA5 is good, the community will reignite and players of other 3D games will cross over. If they make it a great game with tight high level play and a few of the obvious features other 3D players want/expect (Sidestep!), then this DOA has a real opportunity to change its negative image. The look of the game is already helping.

Megawarrior

Mmm...this doesn't really bother me at all. It bothers me that this will once again put the

series in a negative light with the "DoA 5 Not Looking to be a Technical Fighter" on every website talking about it.

I don't really consider DoA to be a technical fighter. Never wanted it to be to be honest.

We’re looking for simple, but deep fighting entertainment.

I'm okay with this. For now. Hope they live up to their words.

OSTCarmine

Not really having had too much experience with any other 3D FG besides DOA, what exactly constitutes a technical fighter? I've checked a bunch of other sites and blogs and stuff. but it's mostly fanboy drivel about how their favorite games are better than yours.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Techniques that take time to master. Advanced movement techs, strict timing, complex combos, using tricks to avoid multiple threats simultaneously...

Basically anything that requires effort.

VF requires effort. Tekken requires effort. These games are technical.

DOA does not require very much effort at all, therefore it is less technical.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Techniques that take time to master. Advanced movement techs, strict timing, complex combos, using tricks to avoid multiple threats simultaneously...

Basically anything that requires effort.

VF requires effort. Tekken requires effort. These games are technical.

DOA does not require very much effort at all, therefore it is less technical.
Pshaw, what nonsense. In DOA, it took me 5 months to learn how to use the punch button, and 4 just to learn how to use the kick button.

And God only knows how long it took for me to learn how to throw and counter, much less applying advanced strategies such as whiff/throw punishing, offensive holds, combos, down attacks, etc. I have nightmares just thinking about how slow I was back then. It was painstaking effort. My hands ended up being as red as a tuft of Kasumi's hair for about a year or two. But for Christie, it was worth it!

TRI Mike

Oh well... while I don't agree with the addition of the "power blows" at all. I gotta admit DOA5 is looking very cool. I can't wait to see Jann Lee, Leifang and Helena.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Oh well... while I don't agree with the addition of the "power blows" at all. I gotta admit DOA5 is looking very cool. I can't wait to see Jann Lee, Leifang and Helena.
Team Ninja Employee #1: The fighting game genre really isn't moving forward, what can we do to change that?
Team Ninja Employee #2: Let's steal Ultras from Street Fighter and call them "Power Blows!"
Team Ninja Employee #1: Brilliant! We'll call it "Fighting Entertainment!"

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
1: "Man, these moves look fucking boring. What do we do with em?"
2: "You know what we need? Some Bam!"
1: "Some Wham!"
2: "Some Crash!"
1: "Some Phlang!"
2: "Let's borrow Tekken's particle effect."
1: "Man, you can come over to my house and fuck my sister any day."
2: "And for testers, we'll invite Tekken players...from Korea."
1: "Seriously, dude, you should be my brother-in-law."

Raansu

Are you trying to make us more depressed? -_-

*sigh* TN just give me 3.1 on XBLA with online play...It would be so much simpler -_-

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Are you trying to make us more depressed? -_-

*sigh* TN just give me 3.1 on XBLA with online play...It would be so much simpler -_-

Yeah, then they wouldn't have to hear us complain so much, regardless of how good or bad DOA5 is.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
At least they'll tell the devs how to fix the movement system and tell them to give characters unique tools, you know. Like, not make the wrestlers shit. Good mix ups, parries, less retarded damage on holds.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Man, forget being depressed. I'm turning this around into somethin' positive. I don't care if I get bashed anymore. Shoot, you guys can ban me if you want.

Never thought I'd be the one saying this to y'all, but... cheer up, emo kids, and look on the bright side. At least we'll have a four-letter abbreviated term to use in our game. Tekken has EWGF (yeah, I know, specific to 3 people... sue me), VF has ETEG, SF4 has FADC, and now we'll probably have a term called FSDC - Free Step Dodge Cancel - if only because of the fact you can cancel Power Attacks to a sidestep. I always pictured this as something like Focus Attacks in SF4 anyway. If certain aspects of things revolving around this feature are toned down just right along with the moving dangerzones that occur during a stage trigger, this could work. If not, then we'll just push to have the feature to be optional and turned off to play more like old-school competitive DOA.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Why do you think you'd get banned for being positive? Please, feel free to find more positives to post. We all know we need more, they're just so hard to come by. =P

Tenren

i do like the FSDC name. Now i can sound cool when I hang out with all the crapy Sf players here haha

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD