[Dec 18, 2013] DOA5U @ Wednesday Night Fights (Walnut, CA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I dont want to hear any damned excuses out of your west coasters for not showing up.

Time to quit being flakey and grow your scene.

Yeah, for a guy with no car (me) and I'm still able to get around for these things thanks to other good people. It's really no excuse for others not to make it. I say this all the time.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Like seriously, I feel like I made this post for no reasons some times;

ATTENTION CALIFORNIA PLAYERS:

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate is extremely close to being released officially. I know a lot of you (including myself) are very excited about getting your hands on the game and playing a lot. Everyone is hyped about the new game and it potentially being our best DOA game to date.

However, I wonder about how committed a lot of you will be to the game. I see a lot of you saying that you want to do what you can this time around, or that you want to do more than you have before. Are all of you (or most) going to live by your words? This is for everyone in this state, NorCal, SoCal, and Central California. Are you guys really going to put in more effort to get out and do anything?

Offline casual gatherings, local events, tournaments, monthly meet-ups. All of these things are available to us, especially when people are working together. Whether it has to be at a public venue or someone's home, if you're able to get things moving, I would strongly suggest doing so. If you have the resources to do something, anything at all (reliable transportation, venue(s), a place to offer for gatherings, etc), get vocal here and speak up. If you don't have something or anything at all, ask someone for help, someone will help you if they can. Carpooling somewhere with other players is good, I do that often with Vincent Rayne and Air Gear.

People will cover you on something if you happen to need assistance on something and if they are able to help out.

There are only a handful of us in NorCal and SoCal getting around on both sides of the state, even with some help. I know for sure that there are a lot of players in California playing Dead or Alive. I know and am fully aware that different people have busy or tight schedules to take care of often. I'm not saying anyone "has" to get up and get out go everywhere every single time for something related to DOA. If you have the time, and you are able to do something, it would be great if you're able to make it to something. Doesn't matter if it's just casuals or a local tournament. There are about less than 20 players going deep out here, when there really should be a lot more.

We really have to start growing ourselves a lot more out here in the west coast. Those of us that do get out regularly or often, we're all pretty tight and are good friends. I can guarantee you that you'll get along with other players after meeting them in person.

In SoCal, Boobiebombs and Vincent Rayne are hosting offline casuals at their homes on Sundays often for players. Vincent Rayne hosts weekly on Sundays, Boobiebombs host monthly on Sundays. I keep in contact with Jennifer from 1337LoungeLive for DOA casual nights and tournaments on days they have available. So, SoCal is moving along pretty well right now.

In NorCal, Return of a Shadow, SomewhatMental and Nykko recruit more players and host gatherings at various venues that's fair within' the area for most players to make it out to. These guys are putting in a lot of effort all too often for players to have places to play and compete.

Both NorCal and SoCal are doing what we can to get things moving along for DOA. And hopefully things will grow from the efforts all of us are putting into our respective areas of the state. I would really like to see DOA in California grow more. We are a very large state and population, there should be more of us getting together and working together to make our game strong on the west coast, don't you think?

Any and all bullshit anyone has with anyone else for any reason, that shit needs to die and die fast. There is no time nor room for pointless banter (if any at all) between anyone. We're too small to afford any rifts. We need to focus on growing our community, and growing our strength (our skills). There are some of us that are very strong already. And then, there are those that have great potential to be stronger too. I will not speak on behalf of players I have not seen or have yet to play at all. But I would definitely like to see what said players are capable of.

I would like to encourage everyone, start speaking up more, try to make plans to get out and go to something if you have time for something. Even if you can only make it to something once a month or every two weeks, if that's how you have to do something, definitely make the effort to do it.

Get out there, meet more players, make friends, play, practice, help each other, share your knowledge, try to learn from one another, help each other grow as a player. All of these things will allow players to grow individually and together. Doesn't matter if you are a new player, a novice, at an intermediate level, a solid player, a veteran, or a high level player. Everyone can learn something from someone else, even if it's just something so tiny that you didn't notice before.

Let's make DOA5U known out here and expose it as a solid game like all of us know it'll be.

Some have stepped up (that I am happy about), but there are a lot more of you that are literally refusing to go out and support (you know who you are but I won't put you on blast, for now). And some who feel they can't make it out even when nothing is holding them back (work, appointments, school).

Hell, ThatOneAznJosh is in HighSchool and makes it out to WNF regardless of being out late.

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
If we can find about six people (supposedly more but we'll lowball it) just at a local Rochester, NY gathering that primarily plays Smash and Capcom games, WNF can pull more than a dozen people. I would like to see at least 20 considering the area and the amount of people I know play in the general area.

Step the fuck up, gentlemen (and ladies).

reddyxm

All the SSBM players came out when Super Arcade decided to open doors for them on Sundays. Where are all the DOA players hiding? SoCal has one of the largest FG scenes and this is the few DOA players we have? 70% of DOA WNF regulars are beginners including myself. Where are the veterans? 5700+ members on FSD, I'd expect 100 people minimum living right here in Socal.

I would really love to hear from these people. If you can't make it because you have night classes or work, that's perfectly fine. I'd like to know who's out there.

A few of us play casuals every week before WNF. Would people like to have a gathering for casuals before stepping up to WNF tournaments? Please, speak your mind. Help us help you.

ikodomo

You guys should try promoting it to the "Competitive Dead or Alive Group" players on Facebook as well. Plenty of CA members that also will engage in a discussion too.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Hope you guys have a great time tonight. Try to do what you guys can to get other players interested in trying the game out at WNF as well, fellas.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves~

BloodBurger

So excellent turn out tonight. Thanks to everyone who came! 18 for DOA5U. Don't get complacent though guys, this is just the beginning. Keep showing up. Valle is going to be expecting this of us from now on!

Results:

1st - Jared
2nd - AFD A1R GEAR
3rd - AFD Vincent Rayne

Here's the full bracket:
http://levelup.challonge.com/wnfae2013_4_2_doa5u

The finals were streamed here:
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/466938017

Starts at 04:16:00. Lets keep the SoCal DOA strong! See you next week!

d3v

Congratulations, but remember that building a community doesn't happen in just one night. Y'all need to keep bringing those numbers in and supporting the community from here on out.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Awesome turn out guys! So proud of everyone showing tonight and playing, happy about that. But definitely keep up with that attendance.

And congrats to top 3! I shall be at WNF next week, so I hope you guys are ready to face the Hajinmon Representative again soon. >:3

MeanMrMustard

Good games to everyone I played. I'll definitely try to get more casuals with people next time. Idk if I can make it next week, I'm gonna try to get off work if I can.

In general though, I think people are still trying to work the stun system too much. Earlier launchers would be better to do and help you chip away at your opponent's health more efficiently. Be more decisive when you have someone stunned. You're gonna get held sometimes but most of the time you'll get rewarded. Think of it this way, when they hold and you extend the stun the other guy guessed wrong, but instead of eating a combo because you launched him, they get another chance to guess out with your next attack. Just be decisive and get your damage. Critical bursts are nice but only if you really need them to catch up or if you are completely outclassing your opponent.

BloodBurger

Good games to everyone I played. I'll definitely try to get more casuals with people next time. Idk if I can make it next week, I'm gonna try to get off work if I can.

In general though, I think people are still trying to work the stun system too much. Earlier launchers would be better to do and help you chip away at your opponent's health more efficiently. Be more decisive when you have someone stunned. You're gonna get held sometimes but most of the time you'll get rewarded. Think of it this way, when they hold and you extend the stun the other guy guessed wrong, but instead of eating a combo because you launched him, they get another chance to guess out with your next attack. Just be decisive and get your damage. Critical bursts are nice but only if you really need them to catch up or if you are completely outclassing your opponent.

You're right. I'm guilty of that big time. I get much too greedy when I need to just take my damage as it comes.

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm a sucker for the slow, heavy-hitting moves. If you're not tunneling headfirst into the ground, I'm not satisfied. Need to swallow my pride and take some non-Izuna/non-Desert Falcon damage.

Anyway, yeah. What those other guys said. Great stuff.
If I can find a ride, I hope to be there again next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD