The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Chapstick

I like the design of it with the red snake wrapping all around it. But looking at it less than 10 feet away..

tumblr_nxm11eaYWv1qmd9v5o5_500.jpg

I really don't think it was meant to be her C1

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Today Ramza was revealed for Dissidia. :) Time to take a look at the really beautifully crafted character models of the game. (Being made by Team Ninja, this gives me hope of potentially amazing DOA6 character models.)

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

And now imagine 6 of these hashing it out in 1080p and 60fps in widespread stages, an overload of magic effects and these amazing summons:

ss1-b.jpg

ss3-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss3-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss3-b.jpg

What are other current generation fighters doing wrong? XD

Jadeinchains

Today Ramza was revealed for Dissidia. :) Time to take a look at the really beautifully crafted character models of the game. (Being made by Team Ninja, this gives me hope of potentially amazing DOA6 character models.)

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

And now imagine 6 of these hashing it out in 1080p and 60fps in widespread stages, an overload of magic effects and these amazing summons:

ss1-b.jpg

ss3-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss3-b.jpg

ss1-b.jpg

ss3-b.jpg

What are other current generation fighters doing wrong? XD

Omg it just looks so good. Yeah if TN can do this for dissidia then my expectations for doa6 are at least set at this level. And that includes a completely unique body model for every character and textures that don't make you cringe.

I thought Tamza was supposed T be Male?

Trap spotted.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
No that Ramza literally looks female in that screenshot.

Well, kind of. ;) But he's still supposed to be male. The character design of Dissidia looks overall very androgynous. That's very likely because Yoshitaka Amano is the main character designer. Some of his art:

tumblr_ms1nn5xhzs1r10jlxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_msf96jyfz11sqjkbmo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_msf96jyfz11sqjkbmo2_1280.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of his work myself I have to admit...

UpSideDownGRUNT

At least Nomura can design excessively bishounen characters and have them still look male xD

Lightning looks more masculine than Ramza haha

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Looks better in this. Lighting in the other one makes it appears like he has a painted on a blush when he's actually really fucking pale. You can tell better if you zoom in.

image.jpeg

image.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The zoom in reminds me that I really like how they implemented the hair. In many other current games hair looks still a little bit odd. Even odder than in the last generation of games. They just want too much with thousands of single hairs, which is also very taxing on the graphics engine. Like in this case:

19869533389_19cd910eef_o.jpg

These are 20k polygons! O: That is a whole Soul Calibur 5 character on Noctis' head. But for all this effort it still doesn't look good because the stark aliasing ruins it all.
Then there is "TressFX" another and even more taxing technique:

alice__madness_returns_gif__2_by_mognett-d4t5ije.gif

It does often look a little over the top and too flowy...

Dissidia's way of implementing hair looks at least for a stylized art style perfect to me. It is a mixture of thicker strands and then some single hairs that add detail and some kind of playfullness, if that makes any sense.

Jadeinchains

Really you don't think noctis' hairs good? I think he has the best hair I've ever seen in a videogame. Then again I don't really know what aliasing is so I don't know what difference it would make. And I just play Alice madness returns a while ago and her her is nice but like you said it flys everywhere when face away from the wind.

Dissidia's hair great for its art style. I'm not sure if it would work in doa6 but for the over the top hair of final fantasy it definitely fits.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD