The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Really you don't think noctis' hairs good? I think he has the best hair I've ever seen in a videogame. Then again I don't really know what aliasing is so I don't know what difference it would make.

Aliasing are these tiny jaggies (here on ear, shoulder and hair) that form along a polygon object in a video game:

fxaa001.jpg

To implement so called antialiasing (making everything look softer) in different forms costs performance. So much that many games don't even have antialiasing. Many current WiiU games (Mario Kart or Smash Bros) lack it completely for example. The Final Fantasy XV demo lacked it too and it was most noticable on the hair, because they are made of thousands of polygon objects, each with jaggies. The picture of Noctis was not a good example, because it was a close up. Aliasing is most visible on smaller objects and objects that are far away. Far away Noctis' hair (as the hair of the other characters) looks pretty bad. Very crude, like straw or wire. Let me try to find a picture where it's best noticed... Okay, here you see it on Prompto:

FINAL FANTASY XV EPISODE DUSCAE_20151222051834.png

And if he's farther away it's even more noticable:

FINAL FANTASY XV EPISODE DUSCAE_20151228040853.png

(Gladiolus' hairspikes in the foreground also don't look too good.)

So the hair technique in Final Fantasy XV is very sophisticated but the so far missing antialiasing ruins all that. Imho how they did hair in the last generation with less detailed hair looked better, even with aliasing like in DOA5 on PS3/Xbox360 for example.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

Okay thanks for telling me. And yeah I can see it now that I know what to look for. I wonder if the full game will have it. I'm guessing not if it will damage performance.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Has the latest Final Fantasy shown how it can render long untied hair yet? Just curious to see their take on it with their engine.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Okay thanks for telling me. And yeah I can see it now that I know what to look for. I wonder if the full game will have it. I'm guessing not if it will damage performance.

I wonder about that too. Tabata (the director) actually promised they would implement antialiasing for sure in the final game...but I long ago started to distrust developers claiming they'd make a game look better. It's literally always untrue. I don't recall any game, that was suddenly prettier at release than at it's previous stages.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Has the latest Final Fantasy shown how it can render long untied hair yet? Just curious to see their take on it with their engine.

This is the closest:

a-ffxv.jpg

Notice the jaggies here again? This is from an in-game graphics cutscene though. Additional post processing effects are always applied to those, so it looks a bit better than how it will look during actual gameplay.

@DontForkWitMe, are these your pics? They look indeed stunning! Such a pretty game...

Last edited:

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
This is the closest:

latest

Notice the jaggies here again? This is from an in-game graphics cutscene though. Additional post processing effects are always applied to those, so it looks a bit better than how it will look during actual gameplay.

@DontForkWitMe, are these your pics? They look indeed stunning! Such a pretty game...
Not bad at all! It looks very detailed, and I like the length.

Jadeinchains

I wonder about that too. Tabata (the director) actually promised they would implement aliasing for sure in the final game...but I long ago started to distrust developers claiming they'd make a game look better. It's literally always untrue. I don't recall any game, that was suddenly prettier at release than at it's previous stages.

Well that's good that they said they'd add it in to the full game but yeah who knows if its true. After the difference in graphics for Watch Dogs in take everything developers show with a grain of salt.

Argentus

Rise of The Tomb Raider finally hit PC and I can honestly say its the best looking game to date so far when maxed out. got it running at 60+ frames on my pc to boot. couple of 1080p shots i took

24324457969_53ce12313e_o.jpg

24574502132_bd2cee24a6_o.jpg

24692173435_02acbb522d_o.jpg

24064031204_c687a6b7ab_o.jpg

24598641251_b4ceb90382_o.jpg

24064021474_a3fa908bbe_o.jpg

24064037484_c5af9dd2a4_o.jpg

24598744701_7043aa29d4_o.jpg

24692299285_070d330181_o.jpg

24064073314_d1c68ea24c_o.jpg

24666090426_5393103c2a_o.jpg
Still not a fan of her redesign. Literally the only thing Lara Croft about her is the name.

And no its not just because smaller tits, its the face, general build, hair, personality, everything. Literally Lara in name only.

Lara Croft looks totally different.

As for hair, half the problem is Japanese games are always trying to do crazy spiky anime hair. Regular hair is much easier to make.

Also something I've always wondered.

Why is it that the original dead rising from 2006 still has some of the crispist cleanest highest resolution textures I've seen, while the sequels are horrifically ugly to the point you can't when wear most of the outfits because they're so low res?

Like the servbot mask in the original was great while in the sequel the face on it is so pixelly and blurry I can't bring myself to wear it.

DontForkWitMe

Still not a fan of her redesign. Literally the only thing Lara Croft about her is the name.

And no its not just because smaller tits, its the face, general build, hair, personality, everything. Literally Lara in name only.

Lara Croft looks totally different.

As for hair, half the problem is Japanese games are always trying to do crazy spiky anime hair. Regular hair is much easier to make.

Also something I've always wondered.

Why is it that the original dead rising from 2006 still has some of the crispist cleanest highest resolution textures I've seen, while the sequels are horrifically ugly to the point you can't when wear most of the outfits because they're so low res?

Like the servbot mask in the original was great while in the sequel the face on it is so pixelly and blurry I can't bring myself to wear it.

OG DR was developed by capcom themselves and used their own MT framework engine which powered all their last gen games like RE5/6, DMC4, Lost Planet 1 and 2 etc while the sequels were outsourced the 2nd rate western devs using completely different engine from the originals

Chapstick

*brings up Kasumi's hair again*

pJsyhf0.png
giphy.gif

TN: LOOKS GREAT! Make it Phase 4's default so we can show off how good it is!

I mean they must see nothing wrong with it because it's all they've used promoting Kasumi in DOAX3 and they've made it Kasumi's default in multiple outfits (and Phase's default in every outfit).

Anyway as I said before about that mod most likely being opaqueness of textures I think Alpha's hair is proof. It looks thick as hell because it's entirely "opaque" (still has the see-through jelly effect but the strands are solid) except for the ends.

rdoLyhA.png

VEsgHGY.png

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
*brings up Kasumi's hair again*

pJsyhf0.png
giphy.gif

TN: LOOKS GREAT! Make it Phase 4's default so we can show off how good it is!

I mean they must see nothing wrong with it because it's all they've used promoting Kasumi in DOAX3 and they've made it Kasumi's default in multiple outfits (and Phase's default in every outfit).

Anyway as I said before about that mod most likely being opaqueness of textures I think Alpha's hair is proof. It looks thick as hell because it's entirely "opaque" (still has the see-through jelly effect but the strands are solid) except for the ends.

rdoLyhA.png

VEsgHGY.png
Hell, I really wish I could use Alpha now, her loose hair and her ponytail are miles better than Kasumi. I wonder what made her cut it story wise during the two year time skip...

UpSideDownGRUNT

So far, what you see ND show in trailers and early gameplay is what you get in the final game if not better. ND take pride in their work and characters, always have done.

I mean look at the difference between the og Crash and Crash 2... It was made in less than a year lol

DontForkWitMe

So far, what you see ND show in trailers and early gameplay is what you get in the final game if not better. ND take pride in their work and characters, always have done.

I mean look at the difference between the og Crash and Crash 2... It was made in less than a year lol

Not always
wr249.jpg

Also uncharted 3 multiplayer models feature less detail/polys than the uncharted 2's

UC2 on the left UC3 on the right
Chloe-4.jpg

uc2-vs-uc3-screen-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Oh, wow, that's an impressive downgrade... Man, look at her pointy chin and shoulders. She looks like Fighter DLC Hayabusa. XD

Speaking of downgrades:
How The Witcher 3 was supposed to look like and how it ended up looking. :/

Witcher3_Downgrade_Is_Real.gif

It still looks great...but the 2013 version would have been mind blowing. O:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD