What would you change about DOA?

Zeo

DOA3 seemed like the fastest to me when playing it myself years ago. But going off of general speed in videos I watch it looks a bit slower than 2 and 4.

OSTCarmine

DOA3 seemed like the fastest to me when playing it myself years ago. But going off of general speed in videos I watch it looks a bit slower than 2 and 4.

its not, it just seems that way and it is actually a really good thing. the pacing has been vastly improved as well as the general level of the players, simply by the game being as awesome as it is. people are button mashing less and less each day, spamming way less holds and generally using all the tools for the right reasons.

shunwong

After 3 months of DOA5, this is what I would change:

1. Give al characters some moves with frame advantage, same as the VF characters. Lack of safety is a drag...

2. I have no problem with holds from neutral, but I think holds from stun should either do less damage (I didnt play DOA4 so please dont tell me they do less damage now) or no damage at all, like combo breakers. This rewards the attacker and still gives the defender options.

3. The main source of guessing in DOA is the stun game. Guessing should be reduced. There should be less attacks that stun, so it becomes a game of adv/disadv. When there is a stun, critical burst should be reached in 2-3 hits instead of 4.

All of this will probably not happen but that's my opinion...

After 3 months of DOA5, this is what I would change:1. Give al characters some moves with frame advantage, same as the VF characters. Lack of safety is a drag...2. I have no problem with holds from neutral, but I think holds from stun should either do less damage (I didnt play DOA4 so please dont tell me they do less damage now) or no damage at all, like combo breakers. This rewards the attacker and still gives the defender options.3. The main source of guessing in DOA is the stun game. Guessing should be reduced. There should be less attacks that stun, so it becomes a game of adv/disadv. When there is a stun, critical burst should be reached in 2-3 hits instead of 4.All of this will probably not happen but that's my opinion...
...interesting. Would points 2 and 3 would mesh well, in the aftermath?

What then, would make DOA(6), stand apart from it's competition? TN needs a 'hook' of some sort.

I'm not against the changes, but I want to see the upside.

Chaos

L
After 3 months of DOA5, this is what I would change:

1. Give al characters some moves with frame advantage, same as the VF characters. Lack of safety is a drag...

2. I have no problem with holds from neutral, but I think holds from stun should either do less damage (I didnt play DOA4 so please dont tell me they do less damage now) or no damage at all, like combo breakers. This rewards the attacker and still gives the defender options.

3. The main source of guessing in DOA is the stun game. Guessing should be reduced. There should be less attacks that stun, so it becomes a game of adv/disadv. When there is a stun, critical burst should be reached in 2-3 hits instead of 4.

All of this will probably not happen but that's my opinion...
Yes, the guessing stun game definitely needs to be reduced, it's one of my biggest issues and the DOA characters not having any frame advantage is so embarrassing.

I want standing low kicks that deal 25 damage or more, and aren't slow, while being moderately safe. Couple those types of kicks with low kicks that 2 in 1 with high and or mid attacks, and that should open players up to more strikes.

Since standing block defends against high and mid attacks, powerful, 'standing' low kicks, will get people's attention. LoL.

Because the defender needs more options.
I thought it would give the defending player fewer options.

If the opponent is pushed further away from the attacker, throw-punishing becomes almost non-existent. This makes moves that are -9 safe attacks. Which means, the formerly defending player, now has to begin their offence with a strike or an OH from further away. Opening themselves up to holds and hi counter throws just to be able to retaliate.

Depending on how far the defender has been pushed away, some attacks will outright whiff. Thereby forcing players to use attacks with longer startup frames, which are easier to see coming and therefore easier to hold, crush, or sidestep.

Raansu

Now speaking about attacking player. When your string is blocked do you generally want more or less pushback?

He's saying less. DoA already gives a lot more options to the defender over the attacker. Adding more pushback to blocked attacks would just be overkill in an already flawed system.

DR2K

Now speaking about attacking player. When your string is blocked do you generally want more or less pushback?

If I'm attacking I don't want to be pushed away at all. The defender has more options as it is. 99% chance they'll be at advantage after the string ends, they can hold at almost any point, if they get stunned they can still hold or even SE into block again, or low hold and evade then put themselves at advantage while you recover. Now you want to add push block?

d3v

I thought it would give the defending player fewer options.

If the opponent is pushed further away from the attacker, throw-punishing becomes almost non-existent. This makes moves that are -9 safe attacks. Which means, the formerly defending player, now has to begin their offence with a strike or an OH from further away. Opening themselves up to holds and hi counter throws just to be able to retaliate.

Depending on how far the defender has been pushed away, some attacks will outright whiff. Thereby forcing players to use attacks with longer startup frames, which are easier to see coming and therefore easier to hold, crush, or sidestep.
Two way street, while more pushback makes punishing harder, it also makes piling on pressure harder. The thing is however, the defensive player doesn't need to punish to turn the game in his favor. Simply being able to stop pressure and return things to neutral can be enough.

dawnbringer

If I'm attacking I don't want to be pushed away at all. The defender has more options as it is. 99% chance they'll be at advantage after the string ends ...

Since they have advantage after the string ends why would you want to be right next to them?

shunwong

Since they have advantage after the string ends why would you want to be right next to them?

I think I understand what you mean, but this would be solved by giving characters some moves that give frame advantage.

Right now the neutral game in DOA goes like this: The first one who attacks is a sucker. Why? If it whiffs you can get punished. If it's blocked you are at negative frames. If it hits and stuns you still can be held, if it hits causing no stun you are at negative frames too. So people tend to play a waiting game. Wait till the other one moves, not much reward in taking the initiative. Give characters some moves that give them frame advantage and people will be more proactive.

DR2K

Push you closer to a wall, partition, etc. . . or even when you have advantage they can mitigate that with push block. No way should the defender get that type of option.

dawnbringer

Push you closer to a wall, partition, etc. . . or even when you have advantage they can mitigate that with push block. No way should the defender get that type of option.

Push blocking is a completely different thing. I'm talking about the distance set for every move that is created on block, you cannot increase or decrease it on will.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I would be in favor of holds being like countering a mid. If you intend to counter a punch, it's 4, a kick is 6. Have it do the same for highs and lows. 9 for a high kick, 3 for a low kick, 7 for a high punch, 1 for a low punch. Sure there would still be random counters, but 1 out of 6 at least makes for more intentional counters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD