What would you change about DOA?

dawnbringer

I would change the crouch defense attacks. Holding 1 defends against low attacks and avoids high attacks, but pressing P or K results in your character -- in most cases --starting a standing attack that often results in your character being hit by an attack that would whiff. I find it to be unintuitive to hold 1 in anticipation of an attack, then move over to holding 2, so that I will stay in crouch when I attack -- especially with something as simple as a crouching jab. Either swap the 2P attacks with the 1P attacks or make it so that when crouching, you perform crouching attacks and not the moves that you would do from a standing position. If they want to get truly innovative, they could allow for the re-mapping of attacks . I'm not referring to some crazy, cheap way of making it easier to do tougher maneuvers. It would only involve moving directional inputs, such as, 1 instead of 4. The buttons needed to do the desired move would stay the same. This is DOA5, not Tekken. 2 free steps, it doesn't crouch.

In this game as long as you hold 2 you will block low attacks, either when you are crouching or free-stepping. You can crouch with both 1 and 2H. After that just hold 2.

Speaking on another topic. Why is current low hold a problem? It never avoids mid launchers, so they may low hold as much as they want.

CrimsonCJ

In this game as long as you hold 2 you will block low attacks, either when you are crouching or free-stepping. You can crouch with both 1 and 2H. After that just hold 2.

Speaking on another topic. Why is current low hold a problem? It never avoids mid launchers, so they may low hold as much as they want.
It ducks high throws and high attacks. This makes it so you can toss high holds in the garbage and can hold out throws on reaction. This isn't game-breaking, but it creates screwed up incentives to hold in places that don't really make sense.

Honestly, I think taking out the low hold animation for a standing low hold animation would instantly get rid of most of the hold problems, even to the point where they actually might be a bit on the weaker side and could be buffed. You pretty much could react out a wiffed hold every time. That wouldn't all be a bad thing.

dawnbringer

It ducks high throws and high attacks. This makes it so you can toss high holds in the garbage and can hold out throws on reaction. This isn't game-breaking, but it creates screwed up incentives to hold in places that don't really make sense.

I think this is kind of interesting application of tech crouch property of low hold, that otherwise would be most useless. This is similar to kick cancel in Virtua Fighter to avoid throws. It's weird that one can nullify throw attempt by twitching his leg, but on the other hand it's an interesting bit of technology.

CrimsonCJ

I think this is kind of interesting application of tech crouch property of low hold, that otherwise would be most useless. This is similar to kick cancel in Virtua Fighter to avoid throws. It's weird that one can nullify throw attempt by twitching his leg, but on the other hand it's an interesting bit of technology.
"Interesting" shouldn't really justify a situation where you pretty much reward an impulse that actually shuts down certain complexities of a system and degrades others that would make for more decisive and, well, watchable gameplay.

dawnbringer

"Interesting" shouldn't really justify a situation where you pretty much reward an impulse that actually shuts down certain complexities of a system and degrades others that would make for more decisive and, well, watchable gameplay.

I see your point. I don't think that this is something that needs fixing.

X51

Excuse my ignorance but is there anything like "block stunt" in this game? I think that "guard crush" strikes leave you in some kind of "disadvantage"... location(?) but if Bass puches your guard I believe that you'll have more problems in holding it than with Ayane's "slap". This might be a bad habbit from 2D fighting games but maybe will help to balance a bit the game... 'Thou Jann Lee's strikes are fast and powerfull v_v

HiguraShiki

Holds would all be a standing animation. Ideally, you'd have something that would show it to be a low hold without actually crouching, but either way.
Oh I get it. Basically make it so that low holds do not make the character crouch. That way I can still TD those bastards ^_^

In this game as long as you hold 2 you will block low attacks, either when you are crouching or free-stepping. You can crouch with both 1 and 2H. After that just hold 2.Speaking on another topic. Why is current low hold a problem? It never avoids mid launchers, so they may low hold as much as they want.
Thanks for the tip but, your reply has almost nothing to do with the change that I suggested.

Chaos

I would change the buffer system so the gameplay will feel very fluid & also get rid of input shortcuts like :2::6::P:.

Sasuke79

i'd change 3 major things:
1) slow down attacks: most of the attacks are so fast that are almost unholdable. if you can see what's happaning, you can counter properly, reducing guessing a lot and improving strategy, spacing, and so on.
2) speed up movement: as the game needs to be playable at every level, faster characters would help beginners a lot in getting at the right distance from their opponents.
3) combo start from wrong holds: juggles are fun, but are so much unrealistic. there's no need for so much of them in a game such as doa, where a misused counter may grant a new combo. that would decrese hold spamming, and increse realism without losing combo strings.

some other changes/improvements:
1) Ein and Leon comeback (well, since ein has always been my main, i may have put this among the major things, but anyway...)
2) more cliffhanger stages (even in tag matches, maybe with special tag throws to activate them)
3) tag powerblows are fine, but not so awesome as they could be (they may end with a double special hit as most of tag throws)
4) instant replays: why removing them for the last hit at the end of the match? isn't it "fighting entertaniment"? well, they entertained me, and i'm sure i'm not the only one.
5) replays and photo online: letting us upload some of our recordings straight from the game could be a nice add.

...and i'd really like some other fighting styles to be added in the game. (judo, bjj, wing chun, aikido, maybe even sumo could be some ideas for a possible doa 6...)

Brute

Standard Donor
I would actually like to see both movement speed and attack speed increased. Make a speed tempo closer to that of DOA4, but still retaining the nerfed holds and higher frame disadvantage from being blocked and whiffing.

In general, DOA5 feels a bit too slow.

X51

I've read that Hitomi's punch parrys suck while Leifang's rocks... It'll be nice to balance that in order to have an standard parry. In the other hand, "special" ones should be nerfed in comparison to the normal ones.

Chaos

I would actually like to see both movement speed and attack speed increased. Make a speed tempo closer to that of DOA4, but still retaining the nerfed holds and higher frame disadvantage from being blocked and whiffing.

In general, DOA5 feels a bit too slow.
I can't stand the....stiffness, it feels like Im playing the old school Tekken sometimes. :(

Zeo

Is DOA5 the slowest DOA of them all? I don't recall a lot of DOA2 as I didn't play ultimate online, but I definitely remember DOA3 being faster than this. The overall tempo of the game as a whole could use a boost. DOA4 with all it's short comings was definitely more fast paced and adrenaline pumping.

Chaos

DOA5's gameplay is much faster than DOA3, DOAD & DOA2 but DOA4 is faster than all of them.

Sasuke79

faster movements lead to faster gameplay, while slower strikes lead to a more strategic one.
every doa has increased or decreased both at the same time, but they could be changed separately

Zeo

DOA5's gameplay is much faster than DOA3, DOAD & DOA2 but DOA4 is faster than all of them.
Hmm..

DOA2

DOA3

DOA4

DOA5

Not seeing it at all, in fact DOA5 looks to be the slowest DOA to date. DOA4 definitely looks the fastest but DOA2 looks pretty fast itself, 3 is a bit slower but still definitely faster than 5.

4 > 2 > 3 > 5 from the looks of it. Since DOAD plays close to 4 I imagine it's a similar speed.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
At full 60 fps, in person, during a game, DOA 3 is by far the fastest of the series. As you start to become aware of all of the instant death setups in the stages, it becomes even faster.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD