Virtua Fighter vs Dead or Alive discussion thread

Brute

Standard Donor
When the VFs were thrown into DOA they kept their proportionately godly frame data and other pros from VF but were also given tools like defensive holds from stun that were previously exclusive to the DOA characters. That means they got the pros of both games while the DOA characters didn't, and the result was the VFs being awkward top tiers.

And thus, if DOA characters made an appearance in a VF game, the VFs wouldn't need to be "dumbed-down." It would only be fair if DOA could contaminate VF in the same way VF invaded DOA. That is to say, the DOA guest characters get the pros of both games when the VFs don't. This would involve altering their frame data to be safer, faster, etc. like the other VFs but also have defensive holds when the rest of the cast doesn't. Then they'll all be stupidly awkward top tier characters than fanboys claim are legitimate and hardcore because their nostalgia gives 'em a stiffy.

Before you say: "Oh, that's not fair." I'll just say: "Yeah, I agree." It's bullshit and it's why it shouldn't be done to VF and why it shouldn't have been done to DOA. I say this because a crossover game (DOA v VF) would have the same problems. They play different, and finding a middle-ground would be weird and pointless when you can play each respective game which excels at its own style.

And before anyone says "Just leave them be with DOA characters getting holds and VF characters getting better frame data" I'll just say: lol.

I somewhat agree with grap3, though (lolwut?). If Ryu's flashiness made it into VF it might actually motivate me to play VF. But as it is, it just looks visually unimpressive and so it's hard for me to motivate myself to learn it when I'll never look/feel cool for doing so. That said, my pleasure in that regard would probably aggravate many VF players, and the VF fans should come first in regard to VF. So overall, I think guest characters are a bad idea.
It should also be noted that I'll play pretty much anything if Hayabusa makes an appearance in it, so I'm stupidly biased that way.

N0rdicNinja

I could easily see this being advantageous for both communities. DoA has always excelled at presentation, TN games just look damn good, there's no arguing that. VF has a history of being one of the most honest fighters out there with heavy emphasis on mechanics over all other aspects of the game.

If TN and AM2 were to combine forces on a crossover I feel both communities would benefit tremendously and we'd likely be able to pull in more people from the outside as well. I'd personally love to see a game where AM2 works on the fighting mechanics while TN handles every other aspect of the game: Character design, stage design, animations, etc. It's a game I'd be more than willing to give an honest shot.

This would also be the perfect opportunity to completely redo the hold system. I understand that TN is reluctant to change it to drastically, but with a crossover no one would argue with them completely overhauling it.

Blackula

I honestly don't see this working at all. The two games are just too different to show justice. It would be a SFxT all over again except possibly worse. Only "possible" way I see this working is if they go the Fighter Mega mix route as someone said before that way people can play the version they are most happy with. If it was possible to have a few DOA characters in VF that would be fine. Having a game where you are forced to play with your character that is nothing like the game they came from is just asking for trouble. It's like how the Tekken characters in SFxT was made to fit in the SF universe. They don't really play anything like Tekken and that turned off a lot of fans. Also they would most likely have to dumb down some VF characters just so the DOA characters can have a chance in there universe. Changing frame data and all that can make a big difference. While everyone expected it to be a good difference there are always more chances that you are unlikely to be happy with the results.

I also don't think a community like this with the lack of support it has is ready for something like this. We already having too many "top" players who goes around bashing the game even though they choose to compete and all that other bullshit instead of moving the hell on and playing another fighter. As much as I love both the DOA and VF series I would have to say no to this.

You also have to remember something sir, SF = 2D and Tekken = 3D. What did you expect combining the two? I seriously hope that you didn't expect the Tekken characters to play like their normal selves in a Capcom game.

Also, the Fighter's Megamix route is not the way to go because all that's going to do is just divide the players when it comes to tournaments.

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
You also have to remember something sir, SF = 2D and Tekken = 3D. What did you expect combining the two? I seriously hope that you didn't expect the Tekken characters to play like their normal selves in a Capcom game.

Also, the Fighter's Megamix route is not the way to go because all that's going to do is just divide the players when it comes to tournaments.

Yeah I know SFxT wasn't the best example given the 2d/3d difference but I was making a point that something on both ends would have to change which is likely to end up bad. Honestly the main thing that would concern me are the people who already wanting DOA to be more like VF(as if it isn't enough) and I feel making a VF vs DOA game would add more to that fire. I feel it will divide the community regardless. More than it already is.

Berzerk!

Nonsense. It's a vs / crossover game not canon in the series of either so it wouldn't divide the existing communities. It will either combine them or do nothing at all

If your player community is like mine the vf players are the people giving DOA a chance so it's already happening - proper should be playing both games and encouraging crossover.
Yes Doa players if you're not playing at least some vf take a good look at yourselves! :p

Look, the two main criticisms (both wrong, but real perceptions) are that VF lacks flash and Doa lacks depth.
Combine them and people are forced to question their assumptions.

Of course those opinions are uninformed and wrong but it would be an effective statement

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Feel free to disagree, but I feel that both DOA and VF styled stages could work. Think about it. VF had ringouts and walled stages (sometimes used environments such as breakable walls and my least favorite 1 x 3 one sided stages on VF5R/FS) and DOA has dangerzones, ledges, and now new cliffhangers. Just have a mix variety of DOA and VF stages, that could work.

Also, lets not forget that DOA (Model 2/Saturn version) had ringout stages (if you go pass the danger zone area). If this was developed by Sega AM2, this could work really well.

Blackula

Feel free to disagree, but I feel that both DOA and VF styled stages could work. Think about it. VF had ringouts and walled stages (sometimes used environments such as breakable walls and my least favorite 1 x 3 one sided stages on VF5R/FS) and DOA has dangerzones, ledges, and now new cliffhangers. Just have a mix variety of DOA and VF stages, that could work.

Also, lets not forget that DOA (Model 2/Saturn version) had ringout stages (if you go pass the danger zone area). If this was developed by Sega AM2, this could work really well.

The only concern I have are for ring out stages. With the blowback properties of moves in the game, it would be way too easy to ring someone out.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
The only concern I have are for ring out stages. With the blowback properties of moves in the game, it would be way too easy to ring someone out.
If the ring out stages were walled, then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

Blackula

If the ring out stages were walled, then I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

Well, if they are walled, technically it wouldn't be a ring out stage unless the walls are breakable. Which then once that side of the stage is exposed, if you're on that side and you get hit by a move with blowback, it would be easy to ring someone out.

Reactions: Rob

TakedaZX

Well, if they are walled, technically it wouldn't be a ring out stage unless the walls are breakable. Which then once that side of the stage is exposed, if you're on that side and you get hit by a move with blowback, it would be easy to ring someone out.
Yea, It just doesn't seem like it would roll well with the DOA characters, so the real question is: Lower the blowback on the DOA characters or give properties like that to VF characters... cause in all the videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like they ever knock you as far as say Hayate's pp2kp or JL's p2pk would in a juggle.

Regardless, I don't hate ring outs, but I'd rather not see them in this crossover game if it did happen.

Blackula

Yea, It just doesn't seem like it would roll well with the DOA characters, so the real question is: Lower the blowback on the DOA characters or give properties like that to VF characters... cause in all the videos I've seen, it doesn't seem like they ever knock you as far as say Hayate's pp2kp or JL's p2pk would in a juggle.

Regardless, I don't hate ring outs, but I'd rather not see them in this crossover game if it did happen.

I would say leave the blowback as is and just not add ring outs. Taking away the blowback kinda removes some of the flashiness and we want flashy.

Raze

When the VFs were thrown into DOA they kept their proportionately godly frame data and other pros from VF but were also given tools like defensive holds from stun that were previously exclusive to the DOA characters. That means they got the pros of both games while the DOA characters didn't, and the result was the VFs being awkward top tiers.
Haha you must be joking, Sarah doesn't get anywhere near the frame advantage in DOA5 that she has in FS. I don't recall seeing her getting +13 from 4K or any of her other huge + frame setups anywhere in DOA. She is much stronger in DOA5 because of ridiculous buffs and stun game TEAM Ninja gave her. Her P+K sabaki is weaker in DOA5 along with many of her FS setups, combos, frames, etc.

I personally liked DOA balance wise much better than FS, before that recent patch that is (which made me drop DOA5 completely). FS is extremely tier heavy, Jacky is MUCH better than Sarah, Eileen, or any non S tier. Much, Much, Much, better than them. Now a crossover game could be ok, but it'd probably suffer the same problems most fighters have now, aka the SF4 effect. Heavy emphasis on tiers, lop sided SF like matchups, and some characters getting constantly buffed, while others get nerfed to hell (Mila). Japanese developers have a bad habit of doing that to their games, so I doubt a crossover would be exempt from this.

Also in regards to rikuto's comments about VF6, SEGA AM2 has already hired JP VF players to help them work on a new VF "project", which they detailed on their Japanese site a while back. Also there is SEGA CUP in April with a $16k prize pool, with $3,000 for first place and the top 16 players money (which may become an annual event in the U.S.) VF5FS also set a sales record in Asia on 360 and made SEGA a ton of money, more then they expected in fact (has DOA5 actually generated more money than VF5R/VF5FS?). The waning popularity in Japan atm is probably due to the fact VF5 is a 7 year old game, and it's high tier characters are so much better frame wise, option wise, and damage wise, then the other characters. You have players like Gorgeous Eileen, switching to Goh for FS, and players like Shou (a Sarah player, who was originally a DOA player I heard) drop the game due to her weakness, and bad SF4 style matchups. All that said there are still active tourney's in Japan, and while VF definitely has issues, it's not in the dismal shape you're making it out to be in rikuto.

TakedaZX

Out of curiousity, where does Jean land on the tier list?

I never knew there was a large amount of disbalance though... I just thought Jacky was good...

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Haha you must be joking, Sarah doesn't get anywhere near the frame advantage in DOA5 that she has in FS. I don't recall seeing her getting +13 from 4K or any of her other huge + frame setups anywhere in DOA. She is much stronger in DOA5 because of ridiculous buffs and stun game TEAM Ninja gave her. Her P+K sabaki is weaker in DOA5 along with many of her FS setups, combos, frames, etc.

I personally liked DOA balance wise much better than FS, before that recent patch that is (which made me drop DOA5 completely). FS is extremely tier heavy, Jacky is MUCH better than Sarah, Eileen, or any non S tier. Much, Much, Much, better than them. Now a crossover game could be ok, but it'd probably suffer the same problems most fighters have now, aka the SF4 effect. Heavy emphasis on tiers, lop sided SF like matchups, and some characters getting constantly buffed, while others get nerfed to hell (Mila). Japanese developers have a bad habit of doing that to their games, so I doubt a crossover would be exempt from this.

Also in regards to rikuto's comments about VF6, SEGA AM2 has already hired JP VF players to help them work on a new VF "project", which they detailed on their Japanese site a while back. Also there is SEGA CUP in April with a $16k prize pool, with $3,000 for first place and the top 16 players money (which may become an annual event in the U.S.) VF5FS also set a sales record in Asia on 360 and made SEGA a ton of money, more then they expected in fact (has DOA5 actually generated more money than VF5R/VF5FS?). The waning popularity in Japan atm is probably due to the fact VF5 is a 7 year old game, and it's high tier characters are so much better frame wise, option wise, and damage wise, then the other characters. You have players like Gorgeous Eileen, switching to Goh for FS, and players like Shou (a Sarah player, who was originally a DOA player I heard) drop the game due to her weakness, and bad SF4 style matchups. All that said there are still active tourney's in Japan, and while VF definitely has issues, it's not in the dismal shape you're making it out to be in rikuto.

At the moment the game turns a profit. But, the arcades themselves don't so much. And the arcades that do, less and less. They are going away, slowly but surely. In japan, it is not common for people to "hang out" at each others houses I'm told. So almost all scenes take place at public venues like arcades. When no arcades are left, there goes the scene.

And its a fact that they die more and more each year. If VF6 somehow makes it out the door, and I'm not saying it can't..... well, the major point remains that the series itself is on a limited lifespan. Between more and more arcades shutting down in the one corner of the world that still has them, and poor VF sales in the West, VF has a very, very short lifespan attached to it.

I don't say that out of any kind of spite. I like the series, but the writing is on the wall. I support VF x DOA because, among many other reasons, it may actually increase VF's overall popularity over here and give it a better chance at long term survival.

Blackula

This was from the Arcadia magazine posted last May.

S: Akira, Jacky, Taka, Lion
A: Goh, Vanessa, Brad, Jean
B: Shun, Wolf
C: Lau, Aoi, Pai, Kage, Sarah, Blaze
D: Eileen, Lei-Fei, Jeffry

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD