DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Crext

Standard Donor
Hitomi's CQC

-10 frame jab that is neutral on NH, +3 on CH and has a Natural Combo in PK.
-13 frame mid that is +20 on Fastest SE. Better stun than the average striker 6P.
-14 frame low that is +1 on NH. Turns her 6K into a mid that will beat other 12 frame mids.
-11 frame high that leads to Natural Combos on 2 hit levels on CH.
-Safe 15 frame tech crouching tracking 1P.
-Strings that essentially negate SS with decent delays on all hit levels.
-6T. Mixups. 50/50s for days.
-33T which gets additional damage from walls AND triggers dangerzones!
-Punch Parry
-Damaging Advanced Mid Punch Hold
-Damaging Advanced Mid Kick Hold for players that are trying too hard to get around parry with mid kick.

Don't even get me started on her stun game. You guys all talk about her lacking guaranteed damage and what not when she doesn't even need it. Your character has strings and mix-ups to blitz through the stun game on ALL HIT LEVELS and get massive damage. You want to talk about guaranteed damage use the universal source of guaranteed damage: the walls and dangerzones, which is what she is built to do. Stun somebody once and do ANY wall splat they are losing 100+ life.

I'm sorry but in what way does this translate into a terrible CQC no matter who she is facing?

We were talking about the neutral game and in my case up close neutral game. All of these moves are potentials for getting her out of the neutral game. I never undervalued the potential once you've gotten out of the neutral game (in CQC), but that doesn't take away the truth that it is hard to get out of it compared to with other characters.

Never the less you kinda answer the initial question quite well with these numbers. She is slower than almost everyone with 13 frame mids. Further on her 10 frame jab can be blocked afterwards unless she high counter hit (and from the looks of the frame data chart even are -6), making it a very bad counter move.

We can take this theoretical:

"Neutral game up close (start of battle)

Christie
High punch 9 frames vs 10 frame high Hitomi
High kick 13 frames vs irrelevant
Mid Punch 11 Frame midpunch vs Hitomi's 13 frame
Mid Kick 12 frame kick (crush high?) vs Hitomi's 13 frame
Both have 14 frame low punch (even trade?)
Special note: Hitomi can parry both high and midpunch.

Judged from this
Christie's possibility to succeed with High p is >75% if they trade blows.
Christie's possibility to succeed with High k is 0% if they trade blows.
Christie's possibility to succeed with Mid punch is >75% if they trade blows.
Christie's possibility to succeed with Mid kick is 100% if they trade blows.
Christie's possibility to succeed with Low punch is >25% if they trade blows.

So, this is the odds "if they trade blows". Judged from this Christie clearly has some good opening options against Hitomi. However, if both characters know the numbers, they'll also see that Christie's options quickly boil down to mid or high punch, or unsafe mid kick. Thus the opening option has a high possibility to be throw punished on block after opener, or can be punch parried.

Thus Hitomi can neutralize 2 options in 1 with punch parry, or block mid k for throw punish or even block for later punch parry upon reaction.

Of course, the Christie player could also know this, then the option could very well be to throw, and so on

All in all though, Christie players would most likely either attack or throw. Holding is less attractive as they'll have to guess between 4 options, as with striking their odds (if they guess Hitomi will strike) may be 75~100%. Hitomi's case the 3 "real" opening options for Christie may boil down to 2 with punch parry, where the mid k hold may also be an advanced hold, in other words if one guess right, the dmg done will be good. However, the option of throwing for Hitomi is low, as Christie would most likely not hold or block.
"

I'm sure you've read this before, and it is simply breaking down the math. However, It is clear that it's Christie making the moves and if facing an opponent of equal or higher caliber then he/she knows these numbers. In other words Hitomi has to beat her in the mind games in order to get out of the neutral game. She'd be at disadvantage before that happens. Most people do this through attempting a block string, and Christie can do some pretty good delaying or free canceling herself.

Anyways, this is also just Christie mind you, other characters has different moves that beat Hitomi in similar fashion, but with different outcomes and different percentages. Never the less Hitomi usually has a bad platform to start off on when in the neutral game. You simply can't deny this. And again, yes, if she gets out of it she is awesome in CQC, but that is an "if".

Anyways, this is getting stretched out. Also I am guessing or it seems like your statement came on the basis of a misunderstanding, and didn't cover that we where talking about the neutral game and not CQC in general. (Also it is getting on the edge of MU-discussion in general as we are not speaking specific characters enough.)

I hear this said about every single character by those who main them.

Strange though. Those who say Ayane, Ryu or the likes are easy to use initially utter get spanked!

I think there's another character like that, hmm... oh yeah Ein ;).

Ye well, Ein hasn't really got me convinced. His lacking CQC just made me have to drop him in this game all together, as that style doesn't apply to me. I feel like he is in transition where TK doesn't really know where to take him other than away from the God he was earlier. Guess I won't be convinced of otherwise before I see him in some high level tournament play. Might happen soon. I mean I see the tools being there, I've just not seen anyone operating them at a good enough level for high level play yet (go for it Tenryuga, 8000 cash price waiting! :p).

Last edited:

Tenryuga

You are basically telling me Hitomi's neutral is bad because of her mediocre startup frames at R1F. That's not a reason for a bad neutral that's just a flaw of the character that all of us who say her neutral is strong are well aware of. Now allow me to explain to you what you should be doing at R1F:

These are your tools when the opponent beats your mid:

P - will lose to 9 frame jabs and crushes.
Punch Parry - will beat all punches.
Crush - will beat throws
SS - will beat 12i 2Ps
Mid - will beat 13i or slower lows as well as slower mids.

This being the case you should attempt to create space at R1F and if you are forced into CQC then make the appropriate read which is not as difficult as you make it out to be. When Hitomi succeeds at her read she gains momentum and she is VERY strong when she has momentum.

In the neutral game Hitomi is exceptional at foosties. She is equipped with what is arguably one of the best korean backdashes in the game and her wave dash has tech crouch properties similar to Ein's. Her generic foot speed is quick so she can step in and out of the fray with ease. This allows her to get whiff punishment off 46P and 236P which are leading to anything from solid to massive damage with a wall or dangerzone in the vicinity. She has moderate speed long ranged pokes with tracking and whiff punishment ability; something ALOT of characters in the cast don't have. As stated before she neuters sidestep and everything I mentioned in my last post is apart of her neutral game. Any tool that allows a character an edge in gaining momentum is a tool that aids their neutral game.

If you want to know what a mediocre or bad neutral game is I suggest you take a look at characters like Leon or Eliot who are limited in what they can do here. Bass also qualifies IMO until he gets a 6T or knockdown off. A character that struggles in neutral is one that is inconvenienced when trying to gain momentum and Hitomi is definitely not that character.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I still say that Kasumi 6-4's Zack. However, I don't really know anything about Tina outside of a few things, so I listed 5-5. Bayman I thought she was 5-5. Oh well.
Kasumi
vs Akira 5-5
vs Alpha 5-5 ???
vs Ayane 5-5
vs Bass 5-5 ???
vs Bayman 5-5
vs Brad Wong 6-4
vs Christie 5-5
vs Ein 6-4
vs Eliot 6-4
vs Gen Fu 5-5
vs Hayate 5-5
vs Helena 5-5
vs Hitomi 5-5
vs Jacky 5-5 ???
vs Jann Lee 5-5
vs Kasumi 5-5
vs Kokoro 6-4
vs Lei Fang 5-5
vs Leon 6-4
vs Lisa 6-4
vs Marie Rose 5-5 ???
vs Mila 5-5 ???
vs Momiji 5-5
vs Pai 5-5
vs Rachel 6-4
vs Rig 6-4
vs Ryu Hayabusa 5-5 ???
vs Sarah 5-5
vs Tina 5-5 ???
vs Zack 6-4

Last edited by a moderator:

Crext

Standard Donor
if you are forced into CQC then make the appropriate read which is not as difficult as you make it out to be. When Hitomi succeeds at her read she gains momentum and she is VERY strong when she has momentum.

Any tool that allows a character an edge in gaining momentum is a tool that aids their neutral game.

If you want to know what a mediocre or bad neutral game is I suggest you take a look at characters like Leon or Eliot who are limited in what they can do here. Bass also qualifies IMO until he gets a 6T or knockdown off. A character that struggles in neutral is one that is inconvenienced when trying to gain momentum and Hitomi is definitely not that character.

Indeed you are correct: "if you are forced into CQC then make the appropriate read", which is basically all it boils down to. Hitomi has to make a read in the CQC neutral game. Does that mean it is game over? Of course not, but it does mean she'd be at a disadvantage for that initial sequence and can't fall back on comfort approaches. She has to react instead of taking action. Play defense instead of offense.

But I'll leave it at that, we are basically saying the same things to each other and agreeing to such an extent that I get embarrassed for not really now what we are discussing. The only thing we seem to disagree on is when CQC neutral game becomes spacing and the definition of bad.

Anyways, won't continue that discussion now, as it disrupts numbers given towards the thread.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Indeed you are correct: "if you are forced into CQC then make the appropriate read", which is basically all it boils down to. Hitomi has to make a read in the CQC neutral game. Does that mean it is game over? Of course not, but it does mean she'd be at a disadvantage for that initial sequence and can't fall back on comfort approaches. She has to react instead of taking action. Play defense instead of offense.

And a strong defense will win you games. Reacting is taking an action, lol.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I don't have much MU knowledge but Kasumi vs Rachel 5-5? Kasumi is in top 3 of Rachel's worst MUs.
I don't have much exp against Rachel to really know. I just hear & know bits & pieces of the match. Same with Tina.

Edit: I don't think Gen Fu is that bad either.

Klts3

It files under anyone with a nine frame jab can make rachel's life hell
Anyone online who's name is Ayane, Kasumi or Christie don't even have to think during fight with Rachel. Anytime I see one of these demons I'm just like "Congratulations bro! You already won!".

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Anyone online who's name is Ayane, Kasumi or Christie don't even have to think during fight with Rachel. Anytime I see one of these demons I'm just like "Congratulations bro! You already won!".

Lol, What? When do Ayane players ever have a fight when they "don't even have to think"?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD