The lack-of-stagger-escape glitch poll

Do you think the glitch is good for the competitive game?

• Yes

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 24.2%

• Total voters

Chaos

If you can't travel you can still make an offline scene in your own town. Especially if people gather for fighting games of any kind to begin with.

Step up to the plate! It's not hard to take your console and monitor to your local BYO and invite people to join you for some games. Be friendly and consistent and you will find people will build around it.

The. When you get to play the game offline you will realize that is the only measure that matters.

You may then even understand that no stagger escape on sit down stuns is an appropriate reward for anding that move and big damage from winning those situations is what will make every player happier with the game
Allen Paris & Ryujin is letting me know they're having a offline scene over here on Detroit which is very exciting to me and quite surprising. Knowing me I'll do whatever it takes to drive there but if my car suddenly breaks down, then thats when plan B peeks around the corner. Therefore, I'll ask one of my relatives and of course if they say "I don't have any gas" then I would literally give them gas money, simple as that!

I never thought there would be any DOA fans who takes it seriously and create a offline scene in the city I live in, finally I have the opportunity to be in a local tournament and get to know what it feels like :)

FakeSypha

or the one that makes up over 90% of their sales.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

In the end, videogame industry (lets put emphasis on "industry") is run like any other business. Developers/publishers want to make profits that could be acquired at short or long term.

Then some of you will say? "B-but Sypha by making a competitive game they can place it on big named tournaments. In that way the game gets publicity and make it even more popular!". Well it seems catering to casuals (and to perverts to some degree) is enough for Team Ninja and Tecmo-Koei (or Koei-Tecmo, whatever...).

I just can't be part of the offline competitive scene. I can barely play online due to the netcode. I live in the other side of the world, plus being honest I don't have the skill. My point? All that shit doesn't stop me to want a serious and competitive game in DOA series.

Bah, sure is depressing in here.

Saber

Pretty sure the crowd that makes up most of the sales don't even know or care about this glitch.

Less guesses - a more competitive DoA game.
No SE at all - yeah, that's a little overboard
SE except on trip stuns, sitdown stuns and limbo stuns (or any other stuns you can think of)- perfectly fine IMO.

That's pretty much all DoA5 needs. And a majority of casuals couldn't really care less about the SE glitch since it won't even affect their playstyle.

d3v

I'm surprised that TN hasn't made any replies about this. If this were Capcom or Namco, we'd have someone already address it. Then again, TN/Tecmo-Koei doesn't really have anyone like FilthieRich or Haunts or Combofiend working for them.
Then some of you will say? "B-but Sypha by making a competitive game they can place it on big named tournaments. In that way the game gets publicity and make it even more popular!". Well it seems catering to casuals (and to perverts to some degree) is enough for Team Ninja and Tecmo-Koei (or Koei-Tecmo, whatever...).
They're putting the game on IPL, so it at least shows that they are interested in the competitive side of things.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Pretty much. I ran through some kasumi player earlier and abused the hell out of my 45% one-hit-wonder.

You know what he complained about?

Grabs.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Pretty much. I ran through some kasumi player earlier and abused the hell out of my 45% one-hit-wonder.

You know what he complained about?

Grabs.
How petty. He should be complaining about not having anything to legitimately complain about. He doesn't know how easy he has it...

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm surprised that TN hasn't made any replies about this. If this were Capcom or Namco, we'd have someone already address it. Then again, TN/Tecmo-Koei doesn't really have anyone like FilthieRich or Haunts or Combofiend working for them.

They're putting the game on IPL, so it at least shows that they are interested in the competitive side of things.

They are. But also understand that Shimbori-san is in a tough spot with this. I can almost guarantee the Japanese testers are in disagreement with the majority of the poll. Historically they tend to be in regards to anything guaranteed damage/sit-down stun related.

I would be more worried at this point if he did something to try and appease both sides via technicality and end up butchering the benefit. A long time back I did recommend the game have two separate modes you can toggle which would essentially "beef up" stuns to the point everyone had guaranteed damage situations, and then you had "classic" doa 5 where everything is theory fighter and sketchyness to the extreme. I still think thats the only way to appease both communities entirely.

A few tweaks to existing stun properties and maybe a couple changes here or there to existing moves and you have basically a whole new game. I think they opted not to do this because they were worried it'd be too imbalanced as it's an afterthought. I just hope they recognize most of us are pretty much willing to throw balance out the window if it means we get the core game we want.

Omegan Eckhart

Where exactly are these Japanese players who want nothing but constant guess work? Let me see what other fighting games come out of Japan:
BlazBlue
Street Fighter
Guilty Gear
Tekken
All these games are from Japan and are all about guaranteeing massive damage and have nothing in common with DOA4. So where are they finding them? Cause it doesn't seem like all the other japanese players want the same.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Where exactly are these Japanese players who want nothing but constant guess work? Let me see what other fighting games come out of Japan:
BlazBlue
Street Fighter
Guilty Gear
Tekken
All these games are from Japan and are all about guaranteeing massive damage and have nothing in common with DOA4. So where are they finding them? Cause it doesn't seem like all the other japanese players want the same.

If I had to guess (no pun intended), Japan.

d3v

BlazBlue
Street Fighter
Guilty Gear
Tekken
I've been wondering the same thing.

Actually, I've heard some VF players get pissed off when it was mentioned that it was the Japanese VF players that wanted more guessing.

Doa_Eater

What i've been wondering is why doa doesn't have an arcade release, the scene is pretty healthy in Japan and doesn't that bring out the top Japanese players, arcades? At least to evaluate and assess a game!

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Actually, I've heard some VF players get pissed off when it was mentioned that it was the Japanese VF players that wanted more guessing.
That's how the Western VF players on NeoGAF want it. They feel everyone but Jeffery and Eileen is overpowered in VF5FS. I'm like "WTF?" They want a game with fewer good tools for their characters, which in turn means it really comes down to just out-guessing your opponent at that point.

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
There is a school of thought that everything in every fighting game is a guess, but when you create big damage situations you theoretically give a lower level player a higher opportunity to win because he has to guess fewer times to do so. And on the flip side, if you create a situation like we have in DOA 4 where nothing is guaranteed, you force people to guess more often but in so doing also force them to keep track of every minor deviation from a persons pattern, which allows the "true" higher level player more opportunities to capitalize on how well he's been keeping track of his opponents bad habits.

I can't argue that this is completely wrong, but it was executed horrendously in 4. Furthermore the game becomes so convoluted that it literally isn't any fun to play for the average competitive player. It's like a giant game of Flash Cards.

At the same time we have our school of thought which says "fuck guessing" and focused more on spacing and reaction based rewards. Less emphasis on Yomi, more on the characters, the attacks, the stage, the game itself. The big damage for one critical mistake school works far better under this kind of game.

In the highest levels of VF (to which the US is not really privy) there is a shit ton of guessing, so the Japanese players are forced into the yomi school of thought. It's not really impossible to see where they are coming from with their preferences to mutate DOA into something similar to VF in that they can micro-manage themselves and not have to deal with the stress of guessing wrong just once and losing everything.

That doesn't mean the rest of the world has to like it, though.

edit:
It's also worth mentioning that people who support the pro-guessing format for DOA also tend to be genuinely horrible at every fighting game they touch. Not a blind insult, but a frighteningly accurate stereotype.

Just thought I'd put that in there.

Raansu

edit:
It's also worth mentioning that people who support the pro-guessing format for DOA also tend to be genuinely horrible at every fighting game they touch. Not a blind insult, but a frighteningly accurate stereotype.

Just thought I'd put that in there.

I'm terrible at every fighting game but I'm not pro-guessing. Where does that put me? =P

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
I'm terrible at every fighting game but I'm not pro-guessing. Where does that put me? =P

Still in the main camp. The main camp is made up of all kinds of people.

It's the pro-guessing camp that tends to be more... identifiable.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD