Tekken Tag 2 in September?! DOA5 also . . .

Asbel Lhant

Seems like there are some Tekken haters around here XD. I like both Tekken and Dead or Alive and plan on buying both TTT2 and DOA5 when their released. So since I like both what does that make me?

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Seems like there are some Tekken haters around here XD. I like both Tekken and Dead or Alive and plan on buying both TTT2 and DOA5 when their released. So since I like both what does that make me?
An educated Tekkenhead that's hopefully as likeable as Sector (ScattereDreams).

If it weren't for him, I'd completely hate the series by now. I ended up finding a little something to like about it, even if it is a bit naughty.

JIX9ISLER1986

Let me chime in on this considering i play both games and have played both on a high level
(not dabbled in tekken for 2 minutes and say i don't like it)
This is to the doa fans and the doa fanboys

Doa 4 online was great to play. The gameplay is very fun fluid motion and easy to pick up casually and high level
However the same thing that has made the game good is the same thing that holds it back in my opinion
Doa is the easiest 3D fighting game to play on a casual level. I say this being a longtime fan of Tekken virtua fighter Doa and soul calibur (i have every installment of each).
The visual aesthetics of doa (women) has been a major selling point to the game less so the actual gameplay mechanic.
Doa was a fun new take on the genre with beautiful women great environments and unique gameplay.
However

Tekken isn't the number 1 selling fighting game franchise by accident. So you must give credit where it is due.
Virtua fighter was the revolution of the 3D fighter Tekken was the evolution of the 3D fighter

Most doa players who don't play tekken or try to play any other fighting game in depth usually have the same excuses from my experience. Here is a quote from

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/
If your a long time fighting game fan i don't need to explain this site
(although opinion he is very knowledgeable and makes logical point that are often proved with the reality of the situation).

"One Final point I'd like to bring up: Because of the fact that many tittles in this next gen of video games seem to somewhat "play themselves", technical masterpieces like Tekken 6 that require hours/weeks/months of practice will ignorantly be overlooked by many casual gamers. Like I've already stated, the true brilliance of the Tekken 6 gameplay can only be discovered and fully appreciated in high level play. Its 1000 times easier to find a reason to say "I don't like Tekken 6" than become a skilled player. Many "next gen gamers" also don't like losing unpreventably and Tekken 6 is a game where pros will relentlesly destroy amateurs (with stye and finesses to boot.) "
-TGF Webmaster

"Its easy to hate the game if you're a newb and many will quit before they even start. Its a sad truth, but bittersweet one since the fighters of tekken will seem to "magically come to life" when under the control of a player who knows what they are doing. That's the magic of tekken."
-TGF Webmaster

Does this sound like you ?

I spoke to angry worm about his thoughts on the doa5 demo and he said
" 3Point hold suck. Lots of random crap.Not really that pretty. Some poorly designed mechanics. Fun but not all that competitive"

If you play doa you know who that is so there you go.

Me personally i look at it this way
Doa is like high school; its fun you get a lot of work and you get your high school diploma.
Tekken is like college; it is a lot more work but its still fun and more rewarding when you get your degree.

Both games are fun in there own right but tekken and other 3D fighter will feel more rewarding to play and master.

In conclusion. I will be getting both games day 1 however even though I'm a huge fan of fighting games i will not lie and say doa is a more deeper game than tekken soul calibur or even virtua fighter

Hows that for a 1st post lol

JIX9ISLER1986

After spending some time with T6 I'm confident I won't ever touch TT2. The series is still the same exact shit as it was back in 99 (which I LOOOOOOVED.... back then) and they're just now catching up with DOA's tag combo system. Sales, I don't care about. Britney Spears outsells many superior artists.
and doa isn't the same since doa2 but faster hmmmmmm interesting. You can say sales don't matter but why is that street fighter is not the number one selling fighting game franchise of all time? it has way more games than tekken and has been on more consoles than tekken. T6 is the 1st game to go multi platform. Doa saturn ps1 doa2 dreamcast doa2 hardcore ps2 doa3 xbox doa2U xbox doa4 xbox360 doa5 xbox360 and ps3. So is this just a fanboy rage comment because i don't see the logic behind the britney spears analogy.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
First of all, welcome to FSD, JIX9ISLER 1986, aka Jonathan Isler.

I would've agreed with some points to a certain extent, had you not claimed to be high-level at DOA. You say this, yet haven't went to more than one offline tourney and placed top 3 consistently to legitimize that claim. It's cool that you have confidence in your skill and can hold your own, but we don't just throw that term around like a household name, man. That's gotta be earned through a will to travel to offline tournies to support the scene... but I'm sure you know this since you claimed to be high-level in Tekken as well. Personally, I wouldn't know 'cause I don't keep up with Tekken community sites or the tournies. As for DOA, I've only been to one offline tourney and did way better than I hoped (even against Master), but I don't even claim to be high-level for as long as I've played. It's that mindset that makes me want to go to more offline tournies to prove my worth.

And for the record, just because I'm a DOA player and enjoy the game more than others doesn't mean I'm some casual player who's never gonna give other 3D fighters a chance. Whoever wrote that on Fighters' Generation is dead wrong. Virtua Fighter is one such game I'd be happy to learn more about, in fact, had some experience with since VF4 Evolution. It's notorious in being deep, rewarding, and much like a cousin to DOA in many ways. You'll have to forgive me if I find this implied theory about us DOA players a bit unfair and insulting, especially when you consider high-profile DOA players like Mamba, Offbeat Ninja, and Rikuto holding their own.

All this considered, you've already given me the impression that you're specifically trying to convert DOA players to Tekken players in an attempt to kill whatever gusto is left of the DOA players here who want a better game... in other words, you want us to give up (if that wasn't your intent, that's the way it's coming out to me). Notice that you were so vocal about Tekken and spoke very little of VF's technical offerings, even to the point where you suggest it's technically inferior. "Virtua Fighter was the revolution while Tekken was the evolution"? Maybe in the stylized, edgy sense, but come on now. I'll admit it has its share of reward-reaping through dedication, but if anything, more people were intimidated by VF's demand of execution than they were with Tekken. Its most thriving scene is in Japan, whereas everywhere else, it's nowhere near as lively a competitive scene. One would think you were debunking VF in your list of examples simply because it's associating itself with and/or inspired DOA, and if not for that reason, because it wasn't "edgy" enough or wasn't marketable enough. Hopefully that's not the case.

Either way, I won't be dissuaded from continuing to play DOA - much less persuaded to drop Christie - anytime soon.

JIX9ISLER1986

First of all, welcome to FSD, JIX9ISLER 1986, aka Jonathan Isler.

I would've agreed with some points to a certain extent, had you not claimed to be high-level at DOA. You say this, yet haven't went to more than one offline tourney and placed top 3 consistently to legitimize that claim. It's cool that you have confidence in your skill and can hold your own, but we don't just throw that term around like a household name, man. That's gotta be earned through a will to travel to offline tournies to support the scene... but I'm sure you know this since you claimed to be high-level in Tekken as well. Personally, I wouldn't know 'cause I don't keep up with Tekken community sites or the tournies. As for DOA, I've only been to one offline tourney and did way better than I hoped (even against Master), but I don't even claim to be high-level for as long as I've played. It's that mindset that makes me want to go to more offline tournies to prove my worth.

And for the record, just because I'm a DOA player and enjoy the game more than others doesn't mean I'm some casual player who's never gonna give other 3D fighters a chance. Whoever wrote that on Fighters' Generation is dead wrong. Virtua Fighter is one such game I'd be happy to learn more about, in fact, had some experience with since VF4 Evolution. It's notorious in being deep, rewarding, and much like a cousin to DOA in many ways. You'll have to forgive me if I find this implied theory about us DOA players a bit unfair and insulting, especially when you consider high-profile DOA players like Mamba, Offbeat Ninja, and Rikuto holding their own.

All this considered, you've already given me the impression that you're specifically trying to convert DOA players to Tekken players in an attempt to kill whatever gusto is left of the DOA players here who want a better game... in other words, you want us to give up (if that wasn't your intent, that's the way it's coming out to me). Notice that you were so vocal about Tekken and spoke very little of VF's technical offerings, even to the point where you suggest it's technically inferior. "Virtua Fighter was the revolution while Tekken was the evolution"? Maybe in the stylized, edgy sense, but come on now. I'll admit it has its share of reward-reaping through dedication, but if anything, more people were intimidated by VF's demand of execution than they were with Tekken. Its most thriving scene is in Japan, whereas everywhere else, it's nowhere near as lively a competitive scene. One would think you were debunking VF in your list of examples simply because it's associating itself with and/or inspired DOA, and if not for that reason, because it wasn't "edgy" enough or wasn't marketable enough. Hopefully that's not the case.

Either way, I won't be dissuaded from continuing to play DOA - much less persuaded to drop Christie - anytime soon.

To address your comment
1) everyone has there opinions about high level players
I will keep it short and simple High level player in my eyes is a player who has an advanced level of skill and knowledge of the game. I consider myself angryworm yourself servbot Rikuto and other ect..
2) pro level players are players who also have an advanced skill level and knowledge however they travel compete and place in offline tournaments.

"It's that mindset that makes me want to go to more offline tournies to prove my worth.''
prove your worth to who??
There are more important things in life to be worrying about people patting you on the back because your good at a game.
i know your good the community knows yours good
so that all that should matter. Your peers know your good that should be enough

"All this considered, you've already given me the impression that you're specifically trying to convert DOA players to Tekken players in an attempt to kill whatever gusto is left of the DOA players here who want a better game."

No I am not that just your interpretation
I just speak my mind as a fan of both series
Continue to play Doa thats wonderfully fine but I'm not going to lie about the gameplay experience of doa compared to other games. Its called being objective
Im am trying to make players aware that this is not the same team ninja Itagaki is gone and we see how NG3 turned out (disaster compared to NG2)... just saying

"Notice that you were so vocal about Tekken and spoke very little of VF's technical offerings, even to the point where you suggest it's technically inferior. "Virtua Fighter was the revolution while Tekken was the evolution"?"

lol quite the misinterpretation no implication of superiority or inferiority
Yuu Suzuki the creator of the VF series pioneered the 3D genre and got it started
If Yuu Suzuki never made virtua fighter no Tekken no Doa no Soul calibur its that simple..

I just give my opinions based on logical EQUAL time with both franchises to make an unbiased non fanboy assessment. I never stated which franchise is the best because people have asked me what do i like better and i always say the same thing i like Virtua Fighter Tekken Doa Soul calibur all the same. They all bring something different to the table. Im directing this more so to the fanboys who play one fighting game for 10 hours and then play the others for 15 minutes and claim " i don't like it" (goes back to the fighters generation quotes above). Go read what he has to say about doa and other fighting games on the site its an interesting read.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD