Soul Calibur Thread

Radiance

Legit? I want to keep an open mind and hope for SCVI.

The level of detail is extremely well done, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

Nyte

Uh oh, bad news guys. Someone on 8WayRun emailed Passion Republic, and apparently they said it was for "purely an internal efforts and portfolio creation, and non related to the actual game franchise."

Damn, they look so real. Why did they even make these thing? They're not some fan art website, they're an official artwork company that's assisted Triple A titles. I don't understand. Well, let's hope we get SCVI sooner than later.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Uh oh, bad news guys. Someone on 8WayRun emailed Passion Republic, and apparently they said it was for "purely an internal efforts and portfolio creation, and non related to the actual game franchise."

Damn, they look so real. Why did they even make these thing? They're not some fan art website, they're an official artwork company that's assisted Triple A titles. I don't understand. Well, let's hope we get SCVI sooner than later.

Yeah, here's a screenshot of the email:

soulcalibur-png.46666

See, I told you before that sometimes even professional artists/designers do "fan" designs just to enhance and broaden their portfolio a little. Sometimes they even approach developers with these designs and artworks and maybe they like it and there's a job opportunity.

Well...that is the second big disappointment in two days... I should lay low a little and not let myself get carried away so easily. .__.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Too bad it's all fake. If only this were real, now we're back to knowing nothing.
I kind of got a feeling that wasn't the actual new leaked game art ,they always used the same artist and the designs were good but they didn't look....shall I say genuine? They're still well done though. I'm just glad I didn't have high hopes, my intuition told me to remain calm until something official came out and I did just that. XD

Last edited:

Aven Kujo-Gin

To bad they aren't real concept arts, I liked that Natsu with the dual blade weapon.
And Nightmare looked so OP with that costumes :eek:

Nyte

Not all is lost. We know a new SC is on the way, and even if those aren't the concept arts, we know we'll hear something about it soon. The Facebook campaign is leading up to an announcement, which should (hopefully) come at either Gamescom or TGS.

Xernuht

It could be that Namco were/are looking for more artists to work on VI and PR created these for said project. It's really damn good work, so it's valuable for the company regardless of whether they're attached or not.

If they aren't, it's a damn shame.

Nyte

Yeah, I actually had that theory. Maybe these guys did come in contact with Namco and presented these designs. They were rejected, and thus appeared on the website. It'd be odd if they made these for literally no reason.

Xernuht

Honestly, at this point, Soul Calibur 6 has joined FFXV and Justice League in the "hope for good news, expect absolutely nothing" part of my brain. I want a new one and/or SC3HD, but Namco's led me around too much to invest myself in the hype.

Nyte

Maybe they're just denying it so they can cover up the leak?
Unlikely. People under NDA aren't allowed to lie about it, they can only ignore the question or not give an exact answer (such as Harada saying "I HAVE NO COMMENT" when someone asked for SCVI). I'm just wondering if they ever met at all, or if this was just some way to impress company's. I find it hard to believe they put all that time, money, and effort in making those designs only to not try to do anything with it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Yeah, I actually had that theory. Maybe these guys did come in contact with Namco and presented these designs. They were rejected, and thus appeared on the website. It'd be odd if they made these for literally no reason.

Lol, I already told you, it is not odd at all but fairly common. I am a freelance illustrator/designer and I am doing the exact same thing for my portfolio right now. I'm working on some character sheets of how Trico (the griffin-like puppy from the Last Guardian) might look in it's adult form since we haven't seen that yet and maybe even won't at all. Also working on some Final Fantasy XV stuff, since I find the default costumes by Roen incredibly boring by now. With stuff like this developers do have a pretty good picture of how you work looks like for a specific project and how your work compares to the official designs of the game.

But the boss of Passion Republic might have also lied to save his ass. ;) As I also said earlier, these designs, if real, are a leak and thus a breach of contract. Normally something like this has to stay under lock and key. There are usually hefty fines for violation.

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

It seems like it would be fun to be a character designer or concept artist for games either as part of a company or on freelance. Is it just that if a company likes your portfolio they'll ask you to design things for them?

But on topic I'm hoping that those designs were a leak that they are trying to pretend isn't one to save themselves from letting them get out. Mainly because those designs were really good.

Nyte

Yeah, the part I find most interesting is Natsu switching from dual kodachi to two swords, which would make sense as to allow Taki to come back with her iconic style. That just seems so well-informed, as it would've been very easy to design her with her SCV weapons. Was that just an educated guess, or do they know something? Who knows, we'll find out soon.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I can see them keeping the more popular ones if the styles are distinct enough, like Pyrrah and Sophitia have distinct enough styles to differentiate them, Leixa no since her style is basically a nerfed Xianghua with less parries.

Nyte

"Popular" is a relative term because the most popular character to replace a veteran was Natsu, and she only placed #27 with 100 votes while her master got over 7x that number. Since the artwork wasn't real, we don't know for sure who's going to be in SCVI, but the poll is a good way to guess. Whether Natsu returns separate from Taki is unknown at the moment, so all we can do is speculate.

And speaking of Taki, they finally got around to doing the Taki vs. Hilde match. Taki is annihilating her.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD