Soul Calibur Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well, anybody could have made these designs, right? ;)

But as an artist and designer myself I can say they are of high quality and look professional. Though, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, normally it is Takuji Kawano who does most designs and all character artworks for Soul Calibur. This is not by Takuji Kawano.

Nyte

Well, anybody could have made these designs, right? ;)

But as an artist and designer myself I can say they are of high quality and look professional. Though, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, normally it is Takuji Kawano who does most designs and all character artworks for Soul Calibur. This is not by Takuji Kawano.
I remember Namco saying they've done a lot outsourcing lately, it's possible that this is done as an assistance to them because its cheaper.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I remember Namco saying they've done a lot outsourcing lately, it's possible that this is done as an assistance to them because its cheaper.

Yes, that could be the case. Takuji Kawano isn't doing all by himself for each SC. ;) The costumes also look in one line with other SC costumes.
But why would they end up online for everyone to see? The artist can end up in big trouble for that.

Here are the designs in better quality:

28910341942_f268a34a20_o.jpg

28982671446_27f4df4bd6_o.jpg

28939426531_08ba8f1915_o.jpg

28398310273_450ab28efe_o.jpg

28982672646_3fdf23753e_o.jpg

This was in the same set and is called "Sacred City". A stage design?

28910340672_aa775dc967_o.jpg

28398165483_f675e0efb1_o.jpg

Last edited:

Nyte

I find it interesting. Kilik has the staff again, Sophitia is alive, there's a different Soul Edge user with a different weapon, Nightmare is back, and Natsu seems to be wielding her weapons differently. What are the implications of this?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I find it interesting. Kilik has the staff again, Sophitia is alive, there's a different Soul Edge user with a different weapon, Nightmare is back, and Natsu seems to be wielding her weapons differently. What are the implications of this?

Well, I wouldn't draw any implications from these designs yet. ;) They could be just made by a fan, one who is very talented/professional.
More interesting: What is this website? Is it some sort of online gallery for everybody or is it some sort of agency that does outsourced character designs and concept art? How did you find it?

Nyte

Passion Republic is an arts production company based in Malaysia. A friend of my on 8WayRun pointed me towards it. Notice how they refer to the art pieces as "concept art", not "fan art".

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Passion Republic is an arts production company based in Malaysia. A friend of my on 8WayRun pointed me towards it. Notice how they refer to the art pieces as "concept art", not "fan art".

What I meant, these designs could have been made just for the portfolio, to advertise what the artist is able to do. Namco Bandai could have nothing to do with this. Or it could really have been made in cooperation with Namco Bandai for Soul Calibur.
Just why do we see this online? If they really worked with Bandai namco on this this would be considered a Leak and possibly a breach of contract.
But it really does look professional, in line with what designs we usually see from SC and there are some interesting changes, like Natsu's corrupted arm, that could mean, they have inside knowledge.

Last edited:

Nyte

PR has created concept arts for other video games, such as Dark Souls, Mortal Kombat X, and Batman: Arkham Knight. So this is definitely not some fan art.

Also, Nightmare:

nightmarepassionrepublic1-jpg.46658

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The good thing is...I think all of these designs look really great. So, if these were picked I would be happy with it. ;)

I'm thinking about doing a post on Neogaf about this to see what others think about this...

Nyte

It looks like Natsu is going to fight differently. How much do you think she'll be different from Taki? After all, Taki has basically been confirmed to return at this point, so it looks like we'll have them in the same game and they'll try to make them not clones.

YBNDM

These designs definitily look good. I love how Sacred City looks. Hopefully this means we might get an announcement soon.

Nyte

But I got to ask again, what can you draw from these concepts? Maybe that time travel thing holds true. Kilik has the staff again, Sophitia is alive, we got two different versions of Nightmare, and Natsu seems to be different in terms of how she fights (I don't know which they'll go with, however, even in the closest one to SCV, she still holds the weapons differently). It's fun to speculate. My biggest question is how Natsu is going to be different from Taki, because after everything I can't see Hoshino keeping Taki fans hanging.

Nyte

How do you guys think the designs compare to their past appearances? Kilik looks cool, I like Sophitia for having armor now while still looking sexy, Nightmare is kind of weird, and Natsu I'll admit is an improvement over her original appearance.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I actually like all designs...except Sophitia with the blue toga wrapped around her. That looks clunky and unelegant. The rest is imo great. They let some talented guys do the outsourced stuff. Alls designs are also perfectly in line with prior SC costumes.
They might have chosen these ones as the final ones since they are the only ones that are fully fleshed out:

sophitiapassionrepublic2-jpg.46661

natsupassionrepublic2-jpg.46657

kilikpassionrepublic2-jpg.46656

nightmarepassionrepublic2-jpg.46659

I could live with these. :)

Nyte

So does this mean they're completely changing Nightmare's style? It'd be kind of weird because his one-handed zweihander is so iconic.

Nyte

Artworks of Kilik, Natsu, Nightmare, and Sophitia have leaked, and are presumably from the yet-to-be-announced SCVI.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD