DOA5U "I have no choice, but to fight!" Kasumi's Gameplay DOA5U discussion

Chapstick

Everyone's ignoring my groundbreaking discovery that you can use a largely worthless throw no one uses 6 frames faster >;/

I'm super hyped for Phase-4 but I'm afraid being so Kasumi-minded is going to make me play her poorly. Or that as I get good with her she'll ruin my Kasumi.

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
Everyone's ignoring my groundbreaking discovery that you can use a largely worthless throw no one uses 6 frames faster >;/

I'm super hyped for Phase-4 but I'm afraid being so Kasumi-minded is going to make me play her poorly. Or that as I get good with her she'll ruin my Kasumi.
I think everyone already knows about the faster throw. And I think being Kasumi-minded will actually help me get into Phase-4 easier. It will just take getting a little used to her different combo varients. Not so different from playing other characters really.

Chapstick

I think everyone already knows about the faster throw.
Gotdammit
I think being Kasumi-minded will actually help me get into Phase-4 easier. It will just take getting a little used to her different combo varients. Not so different from playing other characters really.
It'll help me with the teleports, I know that much. I'll know a majority of her moves as well. But I'll still try to use her like Kasumi by accident. I already screw certain things up playing as Leifang like using H+K on a stunned opponent thinking I'm Kasumi.

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
I did not xD

I've printed out a sheet with her complete frame data, but rarely take a look at it. So it's good to get reminded about the attributes of some moves.
Honestly, no one really even uses those throws, so maybe not many people know about it. I can't even see a use to the faster speed unless it's after they block 6PP.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
To clarify, Kasumi & Phase 4 are NOT the same type of character. She may be an offensive character, but Kasumi has 9/11/12, Phase 4 has 9/12/12 with frame data that looks just as bad as her's on paper, has lows are worse with 1K being the only good exception & no parries (if I'm not mistaking). Her jab numbers are more closely related to Momiji's but a little bit faster overall. Her's are 10/12/12. You could say the same about Kasumi, but the fact is they're not the same & she would ideally be beaten to the punch with the jabs that she has. I'm not sure if anyone actually read where it was explained. She has some of Kasumi's old moves like her throw from DOA4 which is 214T. What she's capable of is remaining to be seen. She's more of a small mixture of Kasumi, Momiji, & Hayabusa.

Last edited:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Idk if it's just me not being accustomed to the game online or me in general, but it's very frustrating trying to play Kasumi online.. I've been trying to take a lot of people's advice on improving my game playing her anyway, but Half of the time, even in a 3 or 4 bar connection, I can barely move! Not to mention that you get hit with unnecessary shit. No, this isn't a rage post lol. It's just a fact. Like you literally have to "mash" sometimes in order to even get a move to come out. Which is something that I refuse to do because I'm trying to avoid bad habits. I try not to say anything about it because you have people inside of this forum who are softer than a fucking whoopee cushion when it comes to pointing out when you see an online tactic or be an honest critic when they're the one's that ask for real-time help

GGS Tenryuga, Tokyo Pew Pew, Akali & Tylor earlier.

Last edited:

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
Yeah. I love playing Kasumi more than anything, but sometimes I have to just stop because the only way to play her is to use online tactics. It literally takes 10 minutes or less of playing offline to see the difference. I love getting punished for the dumb stuff I do, as weird as that sounds. I only play online to mess around, because there's sadly nothing good you can learn from it. In a perfect world the netcode would be perfect and Kasumi's stuff would come out smooth, and I could actually outplay someone instead of just beating them out.

Allan Paris

@ToKyo PewPew

That was not a hit-box issue, there are several things to factor in why that missed. That is the hurt-box of Christie when she is stunned and SE from 6P or 4P. That player SE the stun down some and immediately started hitting buttons. How they SE is what made H+K whiff and they came out of the SE crouching mashing on Punch. So the entire time they were stunned from 6P they were crouching, if you threw out a low grab you would've thrown them.

Unfortunately you can't practice this by setting the AI to SE a certain way. I take that back, you can record yourself to SE that way and work from there but that is tedious and not worth the shit load of time you will spend figuring it out.

This is inconsistent and should not be paid attention to too much because majority of the time players SE differently if at all, and most characters can't avoid that even when they are stunned and SE. You tried to strike in a rare situation in which this player SE. So if you would've stunned him again with 6P you would've hit him with H+K. Reason being is that it is hard to SE that way and focus on what you are going to be hit with next. Lesser players are also prone to switch up their SE patterns because they are mashing while they are stunned and do not know what they are doing.

No one, and I mean no one will consistently do that to you or anyone else that uses H+K after 6P or 4P on CH. Players are better off low holding to avoid that than to SE and hope they are crouching low enough to not get hit by a high.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Yeah. I love playing Kasumi more than anything, but sometimes I have to just stop because the only way to play her is to use online tactics. It literally takes 10 minutes or less of playing offline to see the difference. I love getting punished for the dumb stuff I do, as weird as that sounds. I only play online to mess around, because there's sadly nothing good you can learn from it. In a perfect world the netcode would be perfect and Kasumi's stuff would come out smooth, and I could actually outplay someone instead of just beating them out.

I don't think that she can only be played online properly by abusing the weird frame data there. As soon as you start to do such things although you know you shouldn't do that, you're only cheating yourself. I always hear people saying "I'm only messing around online, because I can't learn something there." Indeed, things like outplaying someone with frame advantage or punishing his hasty actions might not work and cannot be learned this way, however, playing with the right people online can still help you to learn what to do in which way and which situation and to improve basic things like guessing or reading the opponent.

When I go to play some matches against the AI offline, I also get beaten hard and mess up combos the first rounds because I need to accustom the frame data there, but this does not change the way I play Kasumi in any way in terms of using which move when and how. That means, once I know that (e.g.) I'm at disadvantage after my 4PK got blocked, I won't try to mash out PPP after it immediate, neither online, nor offline. You can still see people doing it online, although they claim to know about how unsafe it is and the point that is worth a second thought is, that they do not realize that it is not good for themselves to do so. While playing on a 5-3 bar connection, you still can consider yourself to be in advantage after you blocked 4PK, and as soon as you realize that (after you tried throw punishment for example) your opponent is not respecting his disadvantage, you will retaliate with attacks instead. And I can tell you, on such a connection I mentioned above, my 6P will still land a counterhit if the opponent tries to mash after a blocked 4PK, which means I can still punish him for using unsafe stuff careless.

The sad part of this story is at first, that people who are using these online tactics get salty if the things I mentioned above ruin their game, and second, that yourself might get the habit to retaliate with attacks a lot, by what you may miss a lot of guaranteed damage in offline matches. Therefore, it is up to yourself to take care still trying to throw punish unsafe stuff.

90% of my time with DOA5, I've played online because I only have one friend around to play offline with at times. Nevertheless, I might be still able to assert that I still learned a lot about the game just for doing it there. I'm sure, Tenryuga and J.D.E might agree to that, because these guys taught me a lot and may have noticed any improvement on me (I really hope so =P).

Those who may be convinced that everything I wrote down here is dumb because I said I mostly play online and use online tactics too according to that may take a lock at some of my replays and tell me in which way I'm doing so. That does not mean I consider myself at a legit offline master, but I personally try not to lapse into using online tactics and I'm open for any kind of criticism in matters of that. A lot of people online and even around FSD are not or don't take it serious, unfortunately.

I agree with you guys that things might come out smoother offline (of course they do, in almost every game) and timing is different, but that does not mean there's nothing good to learn from it. In fact, learning combos with their online/offline differences is something you also can do in the training mode it's nothing you need to do online while playing other people. So the question is, why some people are playing online then? I highly doubt it's just to mess around, everyone wants to improve some MU experiences by playing online. Sometimes, it just looks like they don't want to get rid of their bad online habits.

Just to add my two cents.

@Allan Paris
Thanks for your opinion. So do you think this is something special in reference to Christie or may that happen while fighting any other character too? Since I actually never had such kind of a plain whiff with H+K in any other situations (only when the opponent SE in time, did a low hold or used a low sweep/crush) I was wondering first if this might be an "Christie only issue".

Not saying I would be worried so much about it, I'm just curious because it already looks like Kasumi would have quite a lot of hitbox problems with several moves.

Allan Paris

That was not an opinion that I gave you, that was a valid explanation as to why your attack whiffed. That is subject to happen against others characters who have a hurt-box small enough to make H+K whiff if they chose to SE the way I explained to you. It is not an issue or a Christie issue. Well, I guess you could see it as an issue, I personally don't.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
That was not an opinion that I gave you, that was a valid explanation as to why your attack whiffed.

It was an explanation of your opinion, why you don't consider this as an hitbox issue, based an your experience and knowledge of the game. This is something you also underlined with your latest post ...

Well, I guess you could see it as an issue, I personally don't.

as well as by adding these statements:
you can record yourself to SE that way and work from there but that is tedious and not worth the shit load of time you will spend figuring it out.

Players are better off low holding to avoid that than to SE and hope they are crouching low enough to not get hit by a high.

Since I can decide by myself what my time is worth for as well as every player can decide by himself what is the best way for not getting hit by a high for him (low hold, SE or high hold), I used the term "opinion" to refer to your answer.

I agree that this surely won't be something that will happen that often, especially online were people just like to mash buttons, even if they are stunned. From your point of view, no one will be able to do that consistently, however, already the fact that they were in a crouching state all the time after getting stunned by 6P is something I never experienced before and I'm not sure about if it is intended to be that way.

From what I know, SE is only supposed to reduce the stun duration, not to evade moves that were used within the duration of the stun. That would mean for me: if it is not performed in time, my high attack should be able to hit it as long as the opponent is in range. Since he also did not crush or block my H+K, it makes me think that it's kind of an hitbox issue.

Actually, it's hard to believe that the guy I fought in that match even tried/decided to SE anything, since he did not really look like he had a gameplan or even some basic knowledge about the stun system (sure you'll never know). He may have achieved some kind of a SE effect by just mashing buttons while stunned, but since the SE system was changed some patches ago, its something that shouldn't work this way, isn't it?

If players (are able to) stay the whole time in a crouching state after getting stunned from 6P, it would mean that all kinds of high attacks would have whiffed in that case. Like you say, it might not be easy to test with the AI, however, were is the sense of having high attacks like launchers available after getting the opponent stunned then? Furthermore, if it is inconsistent, doesn't that mean there is kind of an issue?

Mind to explain what would be an typical hitbox issue for you (referring to Kasumi's movelist, if there even exist one)?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD