How did you find your main character?

LoK N Ki

First time i played DOA was DOA2 on the Dreamcast, i barely knew how to play but i loved playing against my brother. He chose Ein and i used Jann Lee, i really liked doing his 235k, p+k and his 66T haha XD So my level of understanding at the game was nonexistent, pure button mashing frenzy and i only knew like 5 moves. A universal move where you could jump on the enemy when they were laying on the ground(8p+k), really liked the way Jann lee performed that move.

Skipped DOA3

Mained Jann Lee in DOA4 with Eliot, but again this was still before i took fighting games seriousely. Again basically mashing and not understanding basic fighting game concepts such as mids >.>
I went on the internet to look for some tips and such and ended up on DOAworld. I was a very very casual player of DOA4. Picked Jann Lee because i was a bit familiar with him, played Eliot because i really liked the fighting style, every move looked full of power.

Since SSFIV i've taken the fg genre seriousely for the first time and have probably played every fighting game released this generation, including some the re-releases of older games. Very mediocre at most of them and only good at SF. Even learned how to play stick because it just wasn't doable for me on a the 360 pad, felt too cramped and couldn't get clean inputs the way i wanted.

In DOA5 i picked Mila, another straight forward and hard hitting character, something that comes back whenever i pick a character in other fg's also. I also played a bit of Sarah because i like the VF characters. When i tried out VF5FS i liked Jean and Akira. Probably going to give Akira a solid go for a couple of weeks and then try out Jacky and Christie to look for a secondary.

Rawbietussin

JL.. I was so into spiky hair back (maybe up till now but not so progressive) so I guess I had a bit of a mancrush from you back then but time has changed for me lol.

MasterHavik

Why have a crush on them when Lisa is in the cast? Lol :)
Well she is up there too. It's very rare to have black women in fighting games.

But on that note let me give you a deeper story on me and Zack.

Back when I was 12. I got a 360 first because growing up I always wanted to play DOA because I seen the trailers and was always on the websites for it looking at it. I used to think it was an all girl fighting game. But when I finally got DOA4 I went nuts. I was a Jann Lee main for two days. It didn't go so well. I was also doing command training with everyone. When I got to Zack. I was like," Who the hell is this guy?" I went through moves and I thought he was awesome. I also started to see how everything he did flow. I loved the costume he got too. He looked so cool and move like he didn't give a fuck about his opponent. So yeah that's why I'm a Zack main and will never drop Zack.

AkaShocka

Well she is up there too. It's very rare to have black women in fighting games.

But on that note let me give you a deeper story on me and Zack.

Back when I was 12. I got a 360 first because growing up I always wanted to play DOA because I seen the trailers and was always on the websites for it looking at it. I used to think it was an all girl fighting game. But when I finally got DOA4 I went nuts. I was a Jann Lee main for two days. It didn't go so well. I was also doing command training with everyone. When I got to Zack. I was like," Who the hell is this guy?" I went through moves and I thought he was awesome. I also started to see how everything he did flow. I loved the costume he got too. He looked so cool and move like he didn't give a fuck about his opponent. So yeah that's why I'm a Zack main and will never drop Zack.
Well, that's such a great story. Well I maimed Lisa because I am very interested in Lucha Libre. Plus I like her stance with the bounce in it. Earlier in this thread I posted something about the bounce so check that out. But Lisa is pretty much the only person who actually stands out to me. And on the side of that, no one uses her so thats my advantage because people will not know how to respond to her. We have such similar stories lol

MasterHavik

Well, that's such a great story. Well I maimed Lisa because I am very interested in Lucha Libre. Plus I like her stance with the bounce in it. Earlier in this thread I posted something about the bounce so check that out. But Lisa is pretty much the only person who actually stands out to me. And on the side of that, no one uses her so thats my advantage because people will not know how to respond to her. We have such similar stories lol
lol same. No one uses Zack or have a stereotypical view of how Zack is played. so i can outsmart people

NightAntilli

I simply picked the characters of which the real-life style interested me.

I loved BajiQuan -> Picked Kokoro
I loved TaijiQuan -> Picked Leifang
I love AikiJiu Jitsu -> Will pick Momiji

They all happen to be asian girls with dark hair lol.

Codemaster92163

When I was a little runt, me and my sister would tag up against my dad and brother in DOA2U. Jann was banned (since we thought his elbow attack was broken for some reason), but I always liked old, sage-like characters, so I always used Gen Fu. I like bad-ass old people who can kick ass, so I used him for a long time.

If we go forward to DOA4 (when I first started playing seriously), I didn't have Gen unlocked, so I just started using Kasumi. Of course, I spammed her cartwheel kicks, but when I got bored of that (and saw Helena's ending story mode thing), I started to drift towards her. I think she became my all-time favorite character because of how smooth her playstyle was. Everything was elegant and flashy and transitioned so well into her other attacks, and I've always been a sucker for stance-based characters. She was awesome, and her mix-up and utility just made me fall for her. To this day, DOA4 Helena is my favorite DOA character.

But, while I always felt that Helena would be my main forever and ever, TN had managed to take away some part of her playstyle that I found really fun. I'm STILL not sure what it is, but she doesn't play the same as she used to, and so many of her moves look so similar, taking away the flashy part I adored (everything is a god damn handslap now), so I tried my hand at Pai, if only because she had a "bokuho" stance and, from what people told me, was mildly similar to Helena.

And that's how I fell in love with cherry Pai.

Last edited:

synce

I've always wondered how people can keep using the same character for years and years. My main changes with every sequel, I always pick the new girl. Not just DOA but every fighter

MasterHavik

I've always wondered how people can keep using the same character for years and years. My main changes with every sequel, I always pick the new girl. Not just DOA but every fighter
Well it's because their design or playstyle fits theirs.

Last edited:

ShinQuan

Maybe they have a lot of love for the martial arts style or character design and how its implemented.

This is a great topic. I could go on about how I've enjoyed this series (casually and competitively).

The thing is, I currently don't have a main character. I've found the characters in this series easy to gravitate to, more than in any other fighter. What I do now is strictly stick to gameplay reasons for picking characters. If I stray from that, I'll never settle on any mains. I blame my 'glass half full' mentality, dammit lol.

I can answer this post in terms of DOA4. My potential mains were Hayabusa (Izuna drop, Ninja Gaiden), Hitomi (peppy, variety of playstyles), Helena (classy, BKO kicks ass), Kokoro (offense and mixups), Leifang (spunky, variety of playstyles), Bayman (assassin, bone-breaker), Leon (the ragdoll throw), Tina (spunky wrestler with decent strikes and that Hi-counter throw damage), and Christie (assassin, snake fist, speedy offense, attitude).

Throw in costumes, cool factor, looks, some story stuff, etc. and you have a mess to choose from, right? Well, it took some years, even after playing online A LOT, and I narrowed it down. I took Christie offline, but I found her offense and mixups were great, but her damage (especially throw damage) was just bad. In remember ppl telling me that I could have won more matches if my throw damage was better. So I picked my favorite wrestler, Tina, and I found her fun in a more all-around-but-great-throw-damage kind of way. I even remember my tag team being named ChrisTina. Man, those were good times, before everybody got tired of the game and essentially shelving DoA4.

With DoA5, I have a shorter list of the above characters, but now with Mila (punches, fakeouts, safety), Rig (attitude, somewhat of a similar focus-on-attacks-with-crap-throw-damage mentality, TKD), Momiji (quickly becoming my Fav ninja, a little flashy but with a real martial art, something about the hair), Rachel (powerhouse, slow but safe and effective, cool), and Sarah (something about blondes?, a momentum playstyle, safety and advantage, main in VF). It's a process to pick a main for me, but it's a fun one.

I will reply to myself again when I do find my main(s).

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I choose Raidou, Tengu and Alpha because I crave power, and because I have none in my real life. I love the intimidation factor of the characters, their unique designs... how incredibly evil they are. I love the way they fight: Raidou not only being ridiculously evil, and a rapist, but a thief as well. Tengu the master of confusion and tricks, and Alpha an explosion of speed and undeniable power despite not having a voice of her own to express her feelings, she makes up for it during her combat performance.

I love how my characters are hated, and loathed... and because they are villains I believe that's the way it's supposed to be. I don't expect Tengu to be loved, I mean look at him. You might even laugh at him, but you won't be laughing after the match.

I absolutely love the villains Team Ninja creates. They are all original and different from one another, I like Genra as well, but I don't like the turn to the dark-side kind of character. I like pure evil from the start. Though Genra is a bad-ass and I hope he returns to the franchise someday.

I also love how mean the villains are to the ninjas. My name is deathofaninja for a reason. I think Ryu, Kasumi, Ayane and Hayate are among the best designed characters of all time. But I love knocking them the fuck out, I crave watching them fail in the desperate need to be bad-ass and in leagues of their own. Especially Kasumi, watching her fail puts a smile on my face.

Ryu on the other hand. I fear that ninja because he knows what it takes to slay a demon and I can not instill fear into him.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD