How did you find your main character?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
i started playing DOA4 and to my surprise i did not like Ryu, that and everyone and their grand moms were playing as him and the other ninjas. i started playing as Eliot because i could relate myself to him being closest to his age but i got discouraged from playing him when i couldn't finish his command training. so i started experimenting with different characters

Enters Bayman who immediately caught my attention with his low grab,that turns the opponent into a pretzel. i take him into command training hoping to find more grabs like it and although that didn't quite happen they still looked and sounded quite painful.i discovered i could do his command training,which meant there weren't any techniques out of my reach.

anyhow i take him online and get utterly wrecked, realizing i probably cant be the best i decide to work towards the new goal. i noticed that Bayman was almost never played and seemed very low teir so i decided if i cant be the best of the best id be the best of the worst. in other words my attachment and dedication to him was thanks to my extreme stubbornness and low self esteem.

i stuck with him through wins and loses,mostly loses but it seems my dedication is paying off as Bayman is evolving into a beast of a character.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
I played VF before DOA, so I was maining Lau in VF3. When I first played DOA2 on the Dreamcast, I started out with Jann Lee, and then Ayane and Zack later on DOA2 Hardcore for the PS2. From DOA3 to DOAU, I stuck with Zack (DOA3, DOA1U, DOA2U), Ayane (DOA2U), and Hitomi (DOA3 & DOA2U). On DOA4, I used Kokoro, Ayane, and Kasumi. Then I had about a 6-year Hiatus on DOA until Dimensions came out. I mostly used Kokoro and sometimes Leifang.

Once DOA5 came out, I used Kokoro and my VF secondary Pai. I couldn't use Kokoro like I used to since I couldn't do anything else with her (because I was too predictable), I switched to Leifang. I've been sleeping on Leifang this whole entire time.

And now that DOA5 Ultimate is coming out, I'm still using Leifang. But I'm also using my VF go-to guy, Jacky "Faster-Than-Lightning" Bryant and I'll give Momiji a chance.

If Lau Chan was in DOA5 Ultimate, I would main his ass on the spot.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I played VF before DOA
-Stop copying my life LMAO. I started out on VF(Loved it since VF2 on the Sega Saturn), than seen DOA in a magazine, and how much it resembled VF2. So I end up purchasing it. Out of the entire cast, I melded with Both Tina and Leifang, and to this very day they are my ride and die bitches lol. However, great the game was, the way Pai Flowed in VF2 just made me love VF2 more.

-DOA2 changed everything with me. Unlike many in the VF community, I loved VF3's undulated terrain and variations within its environments. The positional depth drew me in. DOA2 took what VF3 had(Environmental awareness), and expounded it to a great degree. Where Sega failed at, Tecmo was able to capitalize on. Not only that, Tecmo was able to take the general "Sega VF" style of play, and take it to a unique new level. Creating and branding DOA's (individuality) signature style. This made me stop playing VF3.

-DOA3 was the changing point in my life(And the birth of the DOA competitive scene!). I still had great respect for VF, and Loved VF4. However, something just drew me to DOA3. I had this lingering feeling that there was a lot more to DOA3 than what meets the eye. Every review said DOA3 was nothing really different than DOA2, and was one of the most shallow fighter that generation. I not so sure about other people opinions at that time, decided to give the game closer scrutiny. I like no other person at that time dared to Use VF4 as a comparative point in the dissection of DOA3. Blasphemy! How dare someone compare VF's grandeur gameplay to that of DOA's...lol(No wonder no else at the time...or before me, thought to do so). From my laborious studies DOA3 was far from a shallow fighter, in fact, it was a very deep 3D fighter(And Still praised among the hardcore for its depth and great gameplay). The bulk of all the tech that was available in VF4 was present within DOA3. Those VF4 tech that was not available in DOA3 was compensated with DOA3's own gameplay specific tech. This revelation of DOA3's true depth allowed a community to be built around its new found competitive standard. With all the above said, my understanding of How to play Both Tina and LeiFang changed forever. I was now playing them utilizing more advanced techniques (Ahem, Free Step Dodging. I discovered and coined it!).

-DOA4- Sigh. My Mains were once again both Tina and LeiFang. Everything unique and considered good about them were stripped away(as well as the rest of the cast). With extreme determination and drive, I tried to find out something good about them. I end up finding out the option-select of SE~Fuzzy Guard was a great tech to utilize. Many top players like Black Mamba utilized it. However good it may have been, it was another tool that made the game too defensive based, and practically made offense useless. I had fun with the game, but did not enjoy it competitively. Lets just say all that good work that was put into making great DOA3, was all for naught.

-DOA5 was shaping up to be DOA3.1's offspring, but things went haywire. Many changes were made that I personally did not agree with at the time, and simply did not like the game. After a couple of months, I realized I needed to approach DOA5, like I approached DOA3 back than. Understanding how DOA5 needed to be played just like DOA5, and not DOA3.1. This allowed me to actually see the evolutionary growth, and Uniqueness of DOA5's gameplay. There is so much to DOA5's gameplay that I have yet to tap into(in fact the majority of the community is not playing DOA5, but a Hybrid of advanced DOA4 style of play. There is so much I need to learn with both Tina and LeiFang in DOA5...or better yet DOA5U!

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
-Stop copying my life LMAO. I started out on VF(Loved it since VF2 on the Sega Saturn), than seen DOA in a magazine, and how much it resembled VF2. So I end up purchasing it. Out of the entire cast, I melded with Both Tina and Leifang, and to this very day they are my ride and die bitches lol. However, great the game was, the way Pai Flowed in VF2 just made me love VF2 more.

-DOA2 changed everything with me. Unlike many in the VF community, I loved VF3's undulated terrain and variations within its environments. The positional depth drew me in. DOA2 took what VF3 had(Environmental awareness), and expounded it to a great degree. Where Sega failed at, Tecmo was able to capitalize on. Not only that, Tecmo was able to take the general "Sega VF" style of play, and take it to a unique new level. Creating and branding DOA's (individuality) signature style. This made me stop playing VF3.

-DOA3 was the changing point in my life(And the birth of the DOA competitive scene!). I still had great respect for VF, and Loved VF4. However, something just drew me to DOA3. I had this lingering feeling that there was a lot more to DOA3 than what meets the eye. Every review said DOA3 was nothing really different than DOA2, and was one of the most shallow fighter that generation. I not so sure about other people opinions at that time, decided to give the game closer scrutiny. I like no other person at that time dared to Use VF4 as a comparative point in the dissection of DOA3. Blasphemy! How dare someone compare VF's grandeur gameplay to that of DOA's...lol(No wonder no else at the time...or before me, thought to do so). From my laborious studies DOA3 was far from a shallow fighter, in fact, it was a very deep 3D fighter(And Still praised among the hardcore for its depth and great gameplay). The bulk of all the tech that was available in VF4 was present within DOA3. Those VF4 tech that was not available in DOA3 was compensated with DOA3's own gameplay specific tech. This revelation of DOA3's true depth allowed a community to be built around its new found competitive standard. With all the above said, my understanding of How to play Both Tina and LeiFang changed forever. I was now playing them utilizing more advanced techniques (Ahem, Free Step Dodging. I discovered and coined it!).

-DOA4- Sigh. My Mains were once again both Tina and LeiFang. Everything unique and considered good about them were stripped away(as well as the rest of the cast). With extreme determination and drive, I tried to find out something good about them. I end up finding out the option-select of SE~Fuzzy Guard was a great tech to utilize. Many top players like Black Mamba utilized it. However good it may have been, it was another tool that made the game too defensive based, and practically made offense useless. I had fun with the game, but did not enjoy it competitively. Lets just say all that good work that was put into making great DOA3, was all for naught.

-DOA5 was shaping up to be DOA3.1's offspring, but things went haywire. Many changes were made that I personally did not agree with at the time, and simply did not like the game. After a couple of months, I realized I needed to approach DOA5, like I approached DOA3 back than. Understanding how DOA5 needed to be played just like DOA5, and not DOA3.1. This allowed me to actually see the evolutionary growth, and Uniqueness of DOA5's gameplay. There is so much to DOA5's gameplay that I have yet to tap into(in fact the majority of the community is not playing DOA5, but a Hybrid of advanced DOA4 style of play. There is so much I need to learn with both Tina and LeiFang in DOA5...or better yet DOA5U!

When you start with VF, what can I say .. you just get that certain .. mind set .. lol

Blazeincarnated

Well It all started one day when I was playing DOA2 Hardcore with my childhood friend. I used to not even really know what DOA was about until I started playing 2. The amazing graphics, the environments, the style, boobs, everything. It blew me away. I really didn't have a main then. I just played for fun. Fast forward to 2001 when I finally seen DOA3 in a magazine one day. I finally mustered up enough bravery to ask my mom to get it for me for my birthday. When I got the game I used to pick Tina, Helena, and Hitomi. But yet the characters never stuck. Until one day, I saw a character by the name of Zack and I would think to myself. "Does anyone play this character? I don't know, but he seems kinda different. I like it." Ever since that day Zack to me has always been my go-to character because I've always felt like he related to me in some way. And the rest is pretty much history.

phoenix1985gr

I started with the first doa on playstation 1 but didnt give it much time i only remember liking kasumi and leifang more than the rest of the cast but for not any reasons in particular...

When DOA2 hit the shelves it became my favorite fighting game at that time with the tag, the beautiful graphics the animation even the story i just liked it sooo much! And to the point of the story i pick up leifang and (i think 3rd battle?) is her fight against tina where with that super cocky attitude she smashes smashes the rock that bimbo threw at her... Ater winning the fight here comes the "its not a matter of power" and at that point i ve had one of my favorite fictional charaters in the world... See i had many issues back than (still have but anyway) but a videogame character just made me feel related to her plus of course there is the small minor detail of the phoenix on her dress...

Ael

In 2000, I saw my uncle played DOA2 on the Dreamcast with my brother and I was like, “Woah! That looks awesome!” to him and eventually, I started playing the game with them. I was obsessed, actually. I mostly just picked Kasumi at first because she was default on the 1P side and I had no favorites at the time. It wasn't until I saw Ayane in her orange outfit and I was like, “I like that! :O.” My uncle told me, “You know, she has a pretty awesome part in the opening of the game. You should watch it.”

And I did (starts at 2:23)...

And, yeah, never looked back after seeing that, even though I was just mashy and hella random with her up until last year. That was when I truly started learning the game mechanic after 7 years of hiatus. Ayane always has and always will be my main. : D

Last edited:

Rubedood

OK, the R-Rated version:

I remembered the good ol' days of my childhood in late 1991. Back then - apart from that thing called school - Saturday morning cartoons, the Disney Afternoon, and the non-stop talks about Sega giving Nintendo a run for its money ruled my life. Things couldn't get any fucking better, right? Wrong. One day, my mother found a better paying job, and it occured to us we needed a babysitter to watch over me and my little sister. She was an exquisite, majestic being... short hair, curvy (like fucking bangin, yo), high school senior, and quite the grease monkey. It could be safe to say she was my first crush, the first person to make me appreciate motorsports and biker chicks, and the one to give me my first boner. And wouldn't you know it, her name was Christie.

Every other day on the weekday after school she'd keep me on top of my shit... chores, school work, you name it. But unlike my mother, she would allow me to get my Disney Afternoon fix WHILE I do my homework, which was fucking genius. My mother always taught me that was impossible to do, but Christie opened my eyes. I always felt smarter after watching Darkwing Duck anyway. But the real fun part of the day was after we finished all that stuff. By the time we were finished, it was game shows back-to-back: Nick Arcade, Double Dare, Video Power, it didn't fuckin' matter, we had a fuckin' blast. And all the while I had tendencies to cuddle with her in my mind, or maybe have sex with her (which I had no clue what it meant back in the day, I only saw Cool World and my parents made me believe that was it, lol)... but I never made it too obvious.

For over a year, she watched over me and my sister, and when our grades went up, so did our gaming library. She was a godsend to me. My ideal woman. If I were to ever get married, I would want one just like her. Who'd have thought exactly 10 fucking years later, I'd come pretty close, but not in a way I was expecting?
November 2001. Fresh from some sneak peeks of Dead or Alive 3 in previous magazine issues, I was already an avid fan and preordered it and an Xbox on blind faith. I literally had no fucking clue what I was getting into, nor how good the game was going to be (or whether it was gonna be a big piece of fucking shit like a previous E3 private showing implied). When I booted the game up, I was literally put in awe about just how un-fucking-believable the visuals were.

Upon slightly getting over the spellbinding intro, I proceeded to play the story mode and try out the new characters. One of them was named Christie, and the immediate thought that came to my mind was my babysitter at childhood. Unable to resist my dirty urges, I played the character instinctively, not knowing shit about how the character plays or anything. She seemed fast, easy on the eyes, and easy to get into... well, maybe not in the literal sense. *ahem* Double entendres aside, I plowed my way through most of that story mode, but came across some weird shit when I had to fight the last boss in an admittingly uncomfortable angle... like, what the actual fuck was Team Ninja on when they decided to progrram this fucking fight on this piece-of-fucking-shit angle? Blue-and-yellow purple pills? Obviously so, 'cause they let Ayane officially win that fucking tournament... fucking big-boobed, purple-haired ass ninja succubus! I wanted Christie to win, dammit.

Even though she didn't win, it turned out that I was winning in the end. As I delivered the final blow to Genra, aka Omega in the final battle to decide the fate of the world, there was an image that would forever etch to my memories for all time... the shapely fucking buck-ass naked derriere of Christie while taking a hot fucking shower after a hard day's work as an assassin. And as they say, you can't be a good assassin without having twice the ass. It was that moment that I knew Christie was the one for me... the main I wanna bang. The DOA character I always wanted to play. No DOA girl in recent memory has ever made my dick rock-hard as she did with that particular ending. It was like she was the reincarnation of my first crush given form as a video game character. My mind and my balls were just blown from the thought. The rest was history.

Damn, your infatuation is unrivaled. I get it now.

As for me, I don't really have a main right now. I liked Tina in 4, but I didn't like that game at all, and I didn't like her in 5 either. Closest I came to a main in 5 was Christie(though I came to her on many other occasions :oops:).

With 5u coming out, Rachel may become my main; I really like how she looks in every sense of the word. Hope her playstyle gels with me.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
A question ill never be able to answer. . .
OK guys... Punishere's story is like this. DOA had a character similar in looks and in concept to very specific anime/video games which I will not mention publically out of respect for him.

However, he too has an R-Rated version. Or is it NC-17? Honestly, it's hard to say. Dude's always full of double entendres...

Saber

How should I start?

I should really thank my uncle, of all people, for this. I had a PS2 back in summer of '05, but I played random games I bought at my local video game store. My uncle, who lives in another state with my grandma, had an Xbox, and everytime I visited them during the holidays, I'd get on his Xbox and play whatever games he had.

There were two I particularly liked - Dynasty Warriors 5 and Ninja Gaiden. Mind you, I was only 8 at the time, and I only cared about how fun the game was.

Fast forward to summer of '12 when I actually cared about gaming as a semi-serious hobby when I started getting on forums. Only then I found out the DW and NG were from the same company, Tecmo KOEI. I was like 'huh' and got more interested in what other games TK published.

I liked NG and Ryu Hayabusa, and after some Googling, I found out about Dead or Alive 5. Saw some screenshots and the trailer, and I went "Wow!". I've never been particularly interested in fighting games either, and I was seriously blown away by how beautiful and fluid it looked. Went to YouTube, searched for DOA5, and some E3 videos came up.

One match in particular was Vanessa vs Kayane, I think. Vanessa was using Hitomi, Kayane with Kasumi. The entire match, Vanessa was dominating, and Hitomi looked like a really easy to pick up character with a lot of straightforward moves. Searched for more videos of Vanessa with Hitomi, and I decided then and there that Hitomi's going to be my main character.

In fact, besides Uncharted 3 and Warriors Orochi 3, Dead or Alive 5 was one of the main reasons I got myself a PS3. I only had a PS2, and even though I was late, I really wanted it. And sure enough, a Super Slim version was coming out too, so I got myself that.

When I popped in DOA5, I hopped into Story Mode, and Kasumi came up, so being the newbie that I was, button mashing PPPPP was easy enough to get me interested in her. Throughout the story, the characters that actually interested me were Kasumi, Kokoro, Hitomi and Helena. I proceeded to do their Command Training, and Helena's was too much to memorize, so I dropped her. Hitomi became my main, and Kasumi and Kokoro became my secondaries.

Not that special a story, but it's nice to look back on it.

Brute

Standard Donor
At the time of Ninja Gaiden 1 Tecmo had not made the merger with Koei yet (though you probably know that).

Anyway, Hayabusa rules.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Okay, now my story:
When I was a kid, I always had Nintendo-consoles...and Nintendo-consoles unfortunately didn't have many fighting games... So, I kept on playing my jump'n' runs, adventures and RPGs, but always kept jealously looking over to the Sony-consoles, with their Tekkens and Virtua Fighters and, yes, Dead or Alives. :) Since I did never actually play any of these games, it were only pictures and videos, that I had to compare. Graphics and character designs. And I instantly fell for Kasumi's looks in DoA2. She was so cute, yet deadly and sexy and even though she was flashing her panties all the time during a fight in that iconic, blue skimpy ninja dress, I thought, she was really classy. :3 So it was almost predestined, which fighting game and which main I would chose in the future.
As the years went by, I finally got to play Bloody Roar (my very first fighter) and Soul Calibur on the Gamecube. I liked those games, especially Soul Calibur II (which made me a fan of the series), but they were only an ersatz for Dead or Alive and all the BR- and SC-ladies were an ersatz for sweet Kasumi-chan. :(
DoA3 was already out then, if I remember correctly and it was hyped as the ultimate and most beautful fighter to date. I wanted it sooo badly and one Christmas, when I had accumulated some good cash, I very suddenly decided: Why not buy an Xbox and Dead or Alive 3? I did...and I was finally in heaven. The graphics, the fluid fighting, the destructible stages and of course Kasumi!! The first thing I did, when I started the game: Selecting her and (I think it was) Hitomi on the Beach-stage (daytime) in Training Mode, to just fool around for at least an hour. Since then she stayed my main in every Dead or Alive, even though it might be kinda lame to main her, because she is practically the default fighter for all the n00bs.
Kasumi didn't stay my only main fighter though. In Doa3 I was immediately very fond of Hitomi too, because she also was very sweet, German (yeah, I was a bit patriotic in that regard, I guess) and she was a karateka. Karate was one of the very few fighting styles in the game, that rang a bell with me. (I later started practicing Karate too! :)
When Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate came out, Kasumi and Hitomi were already my beloved mains, but then Ryu Hayabusa got his badass, black Ninja Gaiden-outfit and he suddenly cought my attention. I learned about him being the main protagonist in Ninja Gaiden too. He was now so much cooler, that he joined Kasumi and Hitomi as my favorites.
In Dead or Alive 4 the (so far) last character joined my all time favorites. And that was Eliot! :) I liked him, for being so young, shy and inexperienced and visually not being the usual male fighting game-brute. I also really liked the rythm of his fighting style. It's somehow like dancing, even though I know, there are other fighters, that do that as well, even much more gracefully. ;)

So my ranking today goes like this:

1) Kasumi
2) Hitomi
3) Hayabusa/Eliot (can't decide)

Jaguar360

Wow. Some crazy/awesome stories here!
I started playing DOA back in 2001 or 2002. I was only a toddler then TBH. My dad got the Xbox and it was the first console I had ever played on (Mario Kart 64 on N64 was the first I'd seen). I don't remember everything about playing DOA3 for the first time, but I picked Hayabusa first. He had a really cool name and an awesome ponytail! He also had a great mix of speed, power, and cool moves. Once I accidentally did the Izuna drop, I knew I had made the best choice. While playing through his story mode, I liked his encounter with Hayate and he became by secondary. About a year or two later, my older cousin unlocked Ein and I found him to be really cool (dem sunglasses!).

After playing 2U in 2004 and 2005, I stopped playing until I saw the words "Dead or Alive" in a Gameinformer magazine detailing the newly revealed 3DS. I went on DOA wiki immediately and relearned about Hayabusa and also found out that Ein was Hayate (I never read the subtitles in DOA3 or DOA2U :oops:).

I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas later in 2010 and went to story mode with Hayabusa and his ponytail in DOA3. I completely forgot how to play the game, but that was alright by me! I learned how to play DOA in Dimensions and went back to DOA3 so I could finally do the Izuna drop again.

So yeah, that's how I chose Hayabusa and how I got into DOA as a bonus.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
OK...I'll do this. I started playing DOA1 when I was about 2 years old, and I loved the game so much when my dad used to play it (He still does, barely, never) and he used to be Jann Lee. I stumbled across the random button, and I pressed it, thinking that I would be able to play as a question mark. And Zack in the costume in my avatar appeared. After that, I've been loving that costume, and the character.

DOA2 came out when I was born, but I only got to it when I was about 4. I figured out how to say his name by then. I found the costume and played the living HELL out of it (And the recolor). It was amazing.

For some reason, I skipped DOA3, but managed to play it at my bro's friend's house when I was 6.

When my PS2 crashed, we got an Xbox 360. I was 9 at this time. I made sure that I would get DOA4 whenever. It was 3 years after it released, lol. There was no Zack costume in it. I almost cried and it cracked for playing too much too. I'm being serious. And then I realized, "Oh crap, I can get DOA3 and DOAU!" and I BEGGED my parents to get it for me.

I was 11 at that point. I played the crap out of DOA2U (Not 1U), and didn't play DOA3 for some reason. I literally celebrated when I saw Zack's COS.2. I played that for 2 years until present (I am 13) and it cracked. I'm planning to buy it again. I also bought DOA4 again.

DOA5 came out, and I kinda realized that that costume wasn't coming back, so I just dealt with it. I'm going to still request it, though, hoping that it will come out as DLC. I don't even care how much it will be. I'm buying that shit.

Extra: I bought DOA2 SIX TIMES. SIX. That's how much I loved it. I could play for 10 hours straight on it without getting bored.

MasterHavik

Hmm...well i was 12...and in doa 4 when i did zack's command training he struck to me somehow that other characters didn't.

Jaguar360

OK...I'll do this. I started playing DOA1 when I was about 2 years old, and I loved the game so much when my dad used to play it (He still does, barely, never) and he used to be Jann Lee. I stumbled across the random button, and I pressed it, thinking that I would be able to play as a question mark. And Zack in the costume in my avatar appeared. After that, I've been loving that costume, and the character.

DOA2 came out when I was born, but I only got to it when I was about 4. I figured out how to say his name by then. I found the costume and played the living HELL out of it (And the recolor). It was amazing.

For some reason, I skipped DOA3, but managed to play it at my bro's friend's house when I was 6.

When my PS2 crashed, we got an Xbox 360. I was 9 at this time. I made sure that I would get DOA4 whenever. It was 3 years after it released, lol. There was no Zack costume in it. I almost cried and it cracked for playing too much too. I'm being serious. And then I realized, "Oh crap, I can get DOA3 and DOAU!" and I BEGGED my parents to get it for me.

I was 11 at that point. I played the crap out of DOA2U (Not 1U), and didn't play DOA3 for some reason. I literally celebrated when I saw Zack's COS.2. I played that for 2 years until present (I am 13) and it cracked. I'm planning to buy it again. I also bought DOA4 again.

DOA5 came out, and I kinda realized that that costume wasn't coming back, so I just dealt with it. I'm going to still request it, though, hoping that it will come out as DLC. I don't even care how much it will be. I'm buying that shit.

Extra: I bought DOA2 SIX TIMES. SIX. That's how much I loved it. I could play for 10 hours straight on it without getting bored.
I didn't think someone would start DOA younger than I did! I was four. Thanks for sharing

Nuke-Nin

Momiji was announced and I was like "Okay, Im devoting everything to you bbq" and then 5U came out and I didn't look back...Maybe once to see if a black man was robbing me

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD