Graphical Changes

Jefffcore

VirtuaPAI: Thanks, if you like it let Team Ninja know on twitter :). It's only a quick paint over, it'll never look quite right the way I do it but I guess the key points are there.

Einzelkind: I probably can't make it look quite right by painting over it in PS. But seriously man she has proportion issues, her ears stick out way too much, her lips and mouth are a bit large, her head shape is just strange, etc. If you have time take another look at the original, a lot of people have been saying things for a reason I think. :) That being said i'm not against their new direction at all, I like it much more than the previous DOA's but I think it still needs some tweaking.

Allan Paris: Her normal picture doesn't look real either. Neither does Kasumi or Ayane, etc. Eyes can be that blue and you can cover your ears with long hair in real life also. The proportions on my edit make her look more cute and feminine rather that a buff chimp. Atleast that was the plan :0.

Darrell: Thanks, let Team Ninja know via twitter if you like the change :)

MrMoon360: She doesnt even remotely look like an ordinary human being. Do you want her to look like THIS or something? If you followed the axiom "The closer to real and more ordinary the better" you would never have iconic characters like Mario, Yoshi, Link, Kirby, FF characters, etc. I like the direction they're going in with the game but I think Kasumi and Ayane are far nicer to look at rather than Hitomi. Maybe my edit wasn't good enough but I still think that stands. :)

Kasumi: Thanks :) I think a more skilled person could have done a better paint over but I still think the proportion issues should be fixed.

MrMoon360: I can assure you those ears aren't an illusion, they stick out way too far.

Then again, at least they didn't go super realistic and end up with something like THIS. Ugh...

I agree with the clarity issues in the demo stage at least so far. Hopefully they don't mess it up too badly.

What do you guys think of Hayate's new face? Am I the only one who thinks he looks a little too drug-addict/sleep deprived? How about how they've beefed up the female characters bodies, good decision or bad? My preference is for the older style.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your opinion on someone's looks wont always be the same as someone else's. Personally I like the original; ears and all. I do like the eyes, but I see DOA4 Hitomi when I look at yours.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Nothing is wrong with the new art direction, just play the game when it comes out.

And Hayate doesn't look like Itagaki anymore, which is good, because now I don't have to worry about playing the self-insert character.

Einzelkind

I think they're trying to make her German ancestry shine through: Her features aren't as delicate as Ayane's and Kasumi's (who still suffer from the sameface syndrome, but I guess it's ok because they're sisters). Her jaw and nose are wider and her lips are fuller. It's still a pretty simple modification, but it's just refreshing that they aren't just wig swaps any longer. And I honestly can't believe that people prefer the old artstyle. I don't want to throw around words like weaboo, but it sometimes comes to mind, when people are crying about the characters not being cute enough.
They're still highly influenced by anime aesthetics and nowhere near being photo-realistic, but the new artstyle just mashes better with the stages (the fact that the stages were close to being photo-realistic while the characters looked like dolls always bothered me the most). It also works better with the Virtua Fighter characters they put in. Since Akira didn't get any noticable makeover, I guess Pai and Sarah won't get one either. But they still fit right in. The graphics aren't what they need to worry about at this point.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
although the mod is nice ... i kinda like the new look it gives her a bit of maturity ...i like that they made her evolve with doa5 ..

she felt akward to me at first as well ... but the more i played the demo the more she grew on me ... now i think shes hot .. lol

x Sypher x

although the mod is nice ... i kinda like the new look it gives her a bit of maturity ...i like that they made her evolve with doa5 ..

she felt akward to me at first as well ... but the more i played the demo the more she grew on me ... now i think shes hot .. lol

Nice ;)

FM BigBoss

Nothing is wrong with the new art direction, just play the game when it comes out.

The OP doesn't have an issue with the overall art direction, just with the proportions on Hitomi.
Veering toward realism doesn't mean the characters need to look hilarious.
I agree with the edits.

Allan Paris

Allan Paris: Her normal picture doesn't look real either. Neither does Kasumi or Ayane, etc. Eyes can be that blue and you can cover your ears with long hair in real life also. The proportions on my edit make her look more cute and feminine rather that a buff chimp. Atleast that was the plan :0.

What do you guys think of Hayate's new face? Am I the only one who thinks he looks a little too drug-addict/sleep deprived? How about how they've beefed up the female characters bodies, good decision or bad? My preference is for the older style.

well you took "real" in a literal sense, I don't blame you. Yeah none of them look real, the feel of the new art design I can tell they are steering away from the anime look. In your pic that you created it takes Hitomi back to that anime look. Which is what we are all use to seeing form DOA since damn near day 1. She can be fixed without doing what you did to her, so she can get that Hitomi look.

Also, I am not too big on how Kasumi looks now either, but she'll do. She's not as bad as Hitomi, I will agree on that. Yeah you can cover up ears in real life with hair, lol. I am just saying that you covered them in the pic to hide those satellite dishes. When that wouldn't be necessary if they were fixed overall, geometry-wise.

Hayate's face shows a dark side of him and even looks as if he has aged some. I don't have a problem with it at all. As far as the chicks "beefing up" maybe they're eating good, a lil thickness never hurts a females figure. Your preference is to have an anime looking fighter, which is fine, you're use to what's been given to you since you picked up the game.

FM BigBoss

The main issues come from the ears, mouth and jawline.
They haven't translated her as well into the new style as they have done more so with Ayane and Kasumi who manage to retain their likeness and not look silly. It's not impossible for them to do it with Hitomi, they just didn't do her justice.

Allan Paris

The main issues come from the ears, mouth and jawline.
They haven't translated her as well into the new style as they have done more so with Ayane and Kasumi who manage to retain their likeness and not look silly. It's not impossible for them to do it with Hitomi, they just didn't do her justice.

Agreed. She has full lips now and before they were bird lips. I think her lips are fine, the other things you mentioned are dead on to me.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
She looks like an ordinary human being for once. Not a lifeless doll. Nothing wrong with that.
Need to get your eyes checked guys if you think she's ugly.
-Sorry, just dont find her to be aesthetically appealing. This have nothing to do with any previous doa models. I find Ayane to have a more sultry tone to her looks and she is pleasing to the eye. Kasumi is not all that, but she is still pleasing to the eye. Hitomi looks out of place. IMo, if they want to add an ugly female character, just make her from scratch. I bet Lisa is going to look like Halle Berry lol.

I think we're speakin' a little too soon. We've seen two stages.
One is in a cave (1st tier), one is in Shibuya at night....
I think darkness is acceptable in both cases. lol
I don't know what you mean by ugly, really.

Maybe its just realistic, instead of fantasy?
I respect peoples personal preference.

Lorelei was my shit though. I'll give you that.
-Im not saying ugly, but "ugly darkness". The dark tones are over powering, giving the game little visual flair. Like I said, Doa3 was dark, but there was enough variance to where the atmosphere have visual flair. But than again, you maybe right. There is a lot more stages to be viewed. In its totality, the stages seen so far may not be that bad. I also hope we get some stages that are much bigger than the ones we have seen thus far. Im not liking this trend of shrinking stages in each iteration of Doa.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
I bet Lisa is going to look like Halle Berry lol.

lol that would be kinda funny... but I'm looking forward to how the VF girls are gonna look ... will they finally look pretty ? i wonder .. lol

-Im not saying ugly, but "ugly darkness". The dark tones are over powering, giving the game little visual flair. Like I said, Doa3 was dark, but there was enough variance to where the atmosphere have visual flair. But than again, you maybe right. There is a lot more stages to be viewed. In its totality, the stages seen so far may not be that bad. I also hope we get some stages that are much bigger than the ones we have seen thus far. Im not liking this trend of shrinking stages in each iteration of Doa.

I agree ... i would hate to have all the stages small ... I like the wider stages as well ... something like the shibuya stage after the drop ... or even bigger ...

I also hope we get a few NON crazy stages ... (probably the tag stages ) ...we'll see...

jonosono

Standard Donor
Hitomi looks out of place. IMo, if they want to add an ugly female character, just make her from scratch. I bet Lisa is going to look like Halle Berry lol.

You nearly had me rolling on the floor here. =D
I don't think that could have been better said.

DriftSlave

lol that would be kinda funny... but I'm looking forward to how the VF girls are gonna look ... will they finally look pretty ? i wonder .. lol
idk VF5 has pretty awesome renders when the PS3 first launched(and they stayed with that same art directions in every VF5 update). I think they look fine, especial when you get to the more customized ones, i guess its something that grows on you? o_O

Alternatively, I really dig the way the character models look in Tag2....realistic but very animated at the same time

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
idk VF5 has pretty awesome renders when the PS3 first launched(and they stayed with that same art directions in every VF5 update). I think they look fine, especial when you get to the more customized ones, i guess its something that grows on you? :confused:

Alternatively, I really dig the way the character models look in Tag2....realistic but very animated at the same time

yeah i love the art direction of vf... for the males ... cuz they look .. well MANLY ! ... and not airbrushed male models like in doa.... but the girls always looked manly too .. lol ... but i guess that adds to the realism of them acctually being fighters ...

I like the middle ground team ninja is taking with the artwork of this game .... i mean for the first time in hayates life ... he looks like he's grown a pair and looks like a dude! ... akira is very well represented as well with just slightly less detail to his VF5 counterpart... im just hoping they give the VF girls a little bit of that .... DOA girl flavor ... if u know what I mean ...

and I hope the dont do a copy paste on leifang and pai's faces >__> lol

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
-Sorry, just dont find her to be aesthetically appealing. This have nothing to do with any previous doa models. I find Ayane to have a more sultry tone to her looks and she is pleasing to the eye. Kasumi is not all that, but she is still pleasing to the eye. Hitomi looks out of place. IMo, if they want to add an ugly female character, just make her from scratch. I bet Lisa is going to look like Halle Berry lol.

When you walk into a bar, you immediately zone in on a couple people inparticular you'd probably wouldn't mind trying to start a conversation with.

Does this mean you're in a bar full of ugly people?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD