D-pad Controllers? / Arcade Stick? For Doa5

Icy

Hey guys ! Kinda new to this game. Wondering what u guys actually use to play this game with. A Normal default d-pad or an arcade gaming stick controller ? Which is the better one? Will i be better with either one?? Are there any pros n cons?? Feel free to list out whatever u guys had experienced! Sure appreciate it!

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I used to play DOA exclusively on pad but I got so sick of trying to find a decent d-pad for the 360. I've switched to stick and I'm liking the benefits of the controller being consistent from system to system and generation to generation, since all the major parts in a stick (stick and buttons) have been consistent for a long time.

Icy

Im actually using a ps3 d-pad. Thinkin if i should get an arcade stick one. If it does makes me better tho. Well guess i will stick to the d-pad ^^

Jacnob

Well this is how I see it:

DS3
Pros:
-No additional money required to get
-Easier to obtain
-No learning curve for noObz
Cons:
-Certain inputs (such as 236T) are easy to overshoot

Fighting Stick
Pros:
-Much harder to overshoot moves (236T comes back to mind)
-Bit more difficult to hit the wrong comand (taunt trying to hit H+P+K , etc.)
-Much more accurate overall.
Cons:
-Can be pricey
-Difficult to find (at least in the Redneck capitol of the world)

Do note that the Stick pros are just speculation on my part.

Icy

I find the d-pad being hard to execute directional movesets . Somehow always ended up with diff moves from what i had in mind. Figured mayb the arcade stick would b better. Do i have to so called "re-learn" everything again with the arcade stick or will i get use to it real fast? Know its more to personal experience but still , some feedbacks will be good !

Jacnob

I would imagine there would be a learning curve, but I don't see it being anything that can't be worked out with a little time in the lab.

I need to get a stick for my PS3.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
I use a stick, and I love it.

Depending which side (P1 or P2) your brain likes, the opposite side is a bit of a nightmare to feel comfortable on until you've put in the time. I would compare the experience to trying to learn how to write with your opposite hand. Once you learn it though, it is miles better than a D-Pad. Inputs are faster and more reliable.

I also find that grip on the joystick makes a difference too. I used to grip it like I was holding the hilt of a sword, but have since moved to a 3 finger over the top talon grip. But, do whatever works for you.

Icy

Was afraid it will screw my gameplay when i switch bak to d-pad. Seems lik getting a stick is good option. Woah i nver expect so much of in dept stuff. Thanks for sharing. Yes!! P2 side is always a pain in the ass for me!! Guess its hours and hours of practice again o_O

Argentus

I use Dpad on 360. It's what I've been used to, since DoA3.

I don't get why people like PS Dpads...the sharp corners on those just make my thumb sore after a while.

Ghosty-J

I use Dpad on 360. It's what I've been used to, since DoA3.

I don't get why people like PS Dpads...the sharp corners on those just make my thumb sore after a while.
My many many years of Tekken experience built up pain resistance. On top of that, my controller's been worn to pure perfection :cool:

Argentus

My many many years of Tekken experience built up pain resistance. On top of that, my controller's been worn to pure perfection :cool:

lol, I remember the few times I tried fighters on Ps3. (Virtua Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom) It didn't work out. Dpad hurt my thumb, and PS3 thumstick felt too wobbly compared to 360 thumstick (Probably due to ps3 thumstick being convex, while 360's is concave.)

Ghosty-J

lol, I remember the few times I tried fighters on Ps3. (Virtua Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom) It didn't work out. Dpad hurt my thumb, and PS3 thumstick felt too wobbly compared to 360 thumstick (Probably due to ps3 thumstick being convex, while 360's is concave.)
Yeah, the PS3's stick felt far too wobbly. Which was why I forced to train myself with the pad for fighters. At this point, it's become my preferred control method, even for single player PSX games. I guess you can say it's more natural to me than an analog stick. I tried using an arcade stick but I'm terrible at it. So pad's the way to go. Virtua Fighter's a game geared towards arcade sticks, but I took a long hard leak on that rule and became one of the rare exceptions :U

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
The majority of the DOA community is playing with this kind of stick in mind:

rNH30M9.jpg

d3v

I used to play DOA exclusively on pad but I got so sick of trying to find a decent d-pad for the 360. I've switched to stick and I'm liking the benefits of the controller being consistent from system to system and generation to generation, since all the major parts in a stick (stick and buttons) have been consistent for a long time.
It helps that the default Microsoft mandated stick layout (the one you see in Hori, Razer and non-SF MCZ sticks) is designed for DOA.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD