Competitive balance: DOA5U mechanics changes

crapoZK

Standard Donor
1 thing, they could tone down Sarah's speed just a tad, because she's faster in DOA5 than in VF5:FS.

TakedaZX

#BuffHayate!

All jokes aside, why not increase the recovery of all holding out of stun by 5 frames rather than just low holds?

SchwarzPhy

About the threshold, it isn't a static 35; its 28 on normal, 35 on counter, and 42 on high counter. Also I agree that the threshold should either be reduced or go back to the DOA3 system where the first stun counts toward the threshold, because in DOA5 it doesn't.​

kazenouta

I totally agreed with the players comment on the new system. If i can add something I will remove all the move that cannot be guard normally ( like the dragon kick of jann) or at least give one to all. It's true that those move can be evade but the evasion is not so quick and sometimes you don't think to evade but to guard (and wtf he hit my face XD) . Other thing. I don't really understand what you mean with the "ensuring missed holds are punishable.". what happen? they can be really punished? 'cause right now a lot of players spam the low hold during a combo and this is irritating. I always think it's not right 'cause i don't have the time to throw them with the speed of my char..... That low hold to block combo give too advantage if they punished that I will be really happy.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I think folks are mistaking her OH for the move that Master confirmed off her wall game from DOA3.

Now not to derail this topic, I honestly think the stun system should be dumbed down just a tad too. Maybe like DOA3's.

Saber

I totally agreed with the players comment on the new system. If i can add something I will remove all the move that cannot be guard normally ( like the dragon kick of jann) or at least give one to all. It's true that those move can be evade but the evasion is not so quick and sometimes you don't think to evade but to guard (and wtf he hit my face XD) . Other thing. I don't really understand what you mean with the "ensuring missed holds are punishable.". what happen? they can be really punished? 'cause right now a lot of players spam the low hold during a combo and this is irritating. I always think it's not right 'cause i don't have the time to throw them with the speed of my char..... That low hold to block combo give too advantage if they punished that I will be really happy.
How should I put this...

All unblockable attacks are high jumping linear kicks. Hold them, sidestep them, DUCK them or crush them. IIRC, only Jann Lee, Pai and Eliot have those kicks, and they aren't as useful as you think. Definitely a tool not everyone needs. Save it for some characters only.

Regarding your second point, that's why we want the recovery frames increased - to make them more punishable. My reaction time ain't that good, so an increase by 5 frames for every hold (including advanced/expert holds and parries) should do the trick.

Saber

Tina has one too.
Dat butt bump. Forgot about that. :XD And Zack also has one too.

To add more to the thread. This was sitting in my mind for a while, but what does everyone think about a universal command for everyone that can lead into BT stance (like Ayane's 8P)? Some characters eg. Hitomi and Eliot have their best launchers when BT, and for some characters like Kokoro who has excellent BT moves, but no useful way to get into that stance. Akira has literally no moves to get into BT as well.

TRI Mike

It's not the butt bump, it's the last strike on 66PPP+K. The game registers it as a high kick though she hits with her arm. lol

Berzerk!

Added to the list after requests. At this point the list is long enough and it would have to be a major, very clear issue to be added. Please review the 2nd post and suggest any changes - then take your key issue and tweet it to Team Ninja!

Force Techs
Players still want this in the game. It eliminates the opponents wakeup game and forces them back on their feet. Important pressure tool
So long as the situations to use it are consistent, clear and do not lead to recursive/degenerative loops. Give singular moves force tech ability, not multipart strings (Helena)

Input Responsiveness
Players have noted the game uses some "shortcut" inaccurate input reading and would like the accuracy of real input to be increased.

More consistency in attack height - highs beat mids, mid beat lows, lows beat highs
There are currently too many exceptions to this basic rule. Moves with "Crush" evasive quality should be few and clearly animated to work that way.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Dat butt bump. Forgot about that. :XD And Zack also has one too.

To add more to the thread. This was sitting in my mind for a while, but what does everyone think about a universal command for everyone that can lead into BT stance (like Ayane's 8P)? Some characters eg. Hitomi and Eliot have their best launchers when BT, and for some characters like Kokoro who has excellent BT moves, but no useful way to get into that stance. Akira has literally no moves to get into BT as well.

You also forgot Rig, but everyone forgets Rig right? -_- *Sighs

To your BT question, I'd have to say no. I think currently only Ayane & Lisa have moves dedicated to entering BT stance (8P) because fighting from BT is integral to their gameplay. It's not integral to Hitomi, Eliot, Kokoro or Akira. However, it is an interesting quirk that you have noticed.

David Gregg

How should I put this...

All unblockable attacks are high jumping linear kicks. Hold them, sidestep them, DUCK them or crush them. IIRC, only Jann Lee, Pai and Eliot have those kicks

I might be missing something here but Eliot's flying side kick isn't unblockable.

As for the BT issue I think more characters should be able to enter this stance as they do utilize BT attacks like Hitomi, Kokoro, Eliot, etc...

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I might be missing something here but Eliot's flying side kick isn't unblockable.

I was wondering this. Why is Jann Lee's Flying Side Kick unblockable but Eliot's isn't? Jann Lee already has his Dragon Gunner OH. Kinda screams of bias. At least Rig's Flying Side Kick grants him his Flamingo bending stance.

ScattereDreams

As for the BT issue I think more characters should be able to enter this stance as they do utilize BT attacks like Hitomi, Kokoro, Eliot, etc...

Not everyone is good at utilizing BT as well as others. Obviously the priority for these character to enter BT will be lower vs characters such as Helena, Brad, Lisa, Tina, and Ayane who have strong BT games. Eliot and Kokoro have good BT games and multiple ways to enter from moves that transition. Hitomi's is pretty shit thus she doesn't really need to enter BT unless she's going for her combo ender after 4F+K

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD