The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

ShinobiGuy

Wait, don't you have a Pro now? The game is solid 30fps all the time on Pro but the game won't let you downsample from 4k to a 1080p TV for some reason, which sucks. :/ As I said, really poorly optimized.

Woho and phew :) That's some great news anyways.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Official old and new graphics comparison of KOFXIV:

Yay, they've discoverd texture shaders and selfshadowing. XD
I'm happy they boosted it! I can't wait to see how Kensou and Athena will look! I'm hopefully gonna get the game now alongside FF15 for Christmas, and I hope they'll add DLC outfits

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They've released the first footage of Nioh on PS4 Pro:

Finally the game runs in 60fps and in a bearable image quality. The complete lack of antialiasing or just running in 720p was imo very unsightly and should be a thing of the past generation of consoles. Makes one wonder though what kind of outdated graphics engine they still use. Other games have proven that a graphically demanding game can run in 60fps and a good image quality on the standard PS4. Battlefield, Doom, Nier Automata etc. for example.

@CyberEvil

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Kuma and Panda have real fur for the first time in Tekken history! Doesn't even look too shabby...

I like that they actually have different types of fur. Panda's is shorter and fluffier, Kuma's is longer and shaggier.

Argentus

been playing Last Guardian. LOOOOVE it though I wish they didn't give the creature feathers because they don't look quite right.

though I WILL say I'm already tired of how every part of the game looks exactly the same so far. It's FUN and I LOVE how the creature feels like an actual ANIMAL, BUT, it's pretty samey throughout.

Chapstick

Skyrim's really pretty

tumblr_oi3x3c7mda1rje51ao1_540.gif

This is with the surreal lighting mod on PS4

Tyaren

Standard Donor
been playing Last Guardian. LOOOOVE it though I wish they didn't give the creature feathers because they don't look quite right.

though I WILL say I'm already tired of how every part of the game looks exactly the same so far. It's FUN and I LOVE how the creature feels like an actual ANIMAL, BUT, it's pretty samey throughout.

I have been thinking about getting the game. But the PS4 Pro and FFXV, including the season pass and game guide, made me poor. XD Gotta wait till Christmas to fall in love with Trico. In everything I've seen, it's the most realisticly realised animal in gaming.

tumblr_oi16zk52hw1talu23o2_250.gif
tumblr_oi16zk52hw1talu23o1_250.gif

It is one of the few games that for some reason don't offer downsampling from 4K to 1080p TVs on PS4 Pro though. D: Such a shame... Would have really liked to have the image as clear as possible. But at least the framerate is the most solid on Pro.

Skyrim's really pretty

tumblr_oi3x3c7mda1rje51ao1_540.gif

This is with the surreal lighting mod on PS4

Aww...so pretty. O:
What exactly does the surreal lighting mod do and are there comparisons of normal and modded?

Also, I know I asked you like a hundred times, lol, but can you send me a PM to detail me how you exactly do your gifs in Photoshop? You make such pretty, clean gifs. :)

Chapstick

The surreal lighting mod I think increases the saturation sometimes (like in that gif I don't think that area's normally so blue in the base game, I didn't edit the color at all) and adds in some extra color gradients in the morning and during sunsets. Here's another gif but I did edit brightness/contrast/saturation in this one

tumblr_oi3whyieCr1rje51ao1_540.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wipeout on PS4 Pro in native 4k resolution and solid 60fps. Doesn't get any more technically impressive on console:

Is Wipeout any good? I only know the Nintendo rival F-Zero. That series is awesome! Loved the Gamecube version. And it still looks quite good:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It is not often that I praise Nioh's visuals... I actually never do, because I think that it looks most of the time too dark and dull and because of it's poor image quality on the standard PS4. The Giant Toad boss however looks amazing. O: Already when I saw it in video I was highly impressed. The animations, the lighting and the on the point PBR (physically basesd rendering) of it's warty, mucuous skin and the shiny, yet banged up metal parts are all highly impressive. It looks all very real. When I flew over my Facebook wall and noticed these images I thought these were actually some sort of real figure or puppet or something of that sort:

15369930_703914713110188_1616743613791838459_o.jpg

15418339_703914699776856_7029096986818823332_o.jpg

Argentus

Wipeout on PS4 Pro in native 4k resolution and solid 60fps. Doesn't get any more technically impressive on console:

Is Wipeout any good? I only know the Nintendo rival F-Zero. That series is awesome! Loved the Gamecube version. And it still looks quite good:

oh my god I haven't played Wipeout since PSP. And it's the closest thing to Burnout, so I am SO getting that. Don't have a ps4pro and not getting one, but whatever.
It is not often that I praise Nioh's visuals... I actually never do, because I think that it looks most of the time too dark and dull and because of it's poor image quality on the standard PS4. The Giant Toad boss however looks amazing. O: Already when I saw it in video I was highly impressed. The animations, the lighting and the on the point PBR (physically basesd rendering) of it's warty, mucuous skin and the shiny, yet banged up metal parts are all highly impressive. It looks all very real. When I flew over my Facebook wall and noticed these images I thought these were actually some sort of real figure or puppet or something of that sort:

15369930_703914713110188_1616743613791838459_o.jpg

15418339_703914699776856_7029096986818823332_o.jpg

See I don't like that design. He's TOO bumpy. It's too noisy and cluttered. Like they are trying to show off their modeling and textures by just cramming as much of it in as possible without considering how the end result will look.

Chapstick

oh my god I haven't played Wipeout since PSP. And it's the closest thing to Burnout, so I am SO getting that.
PS4 sorely needs a new Burnout game like Paradise. ): I absolutely hate the racing genre but loved BOP. I remember being blown away by that game's graphics on the PS3 eight years ago too

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The Duscae Valley of Final Fantasy XV is of all the open world game regions that I have experienced so far the most beautiful, impressive and cohesive. It feels like an actual, existing place in it's naturalness, layout, size, flora and fauna.
The valley consists of a meteor crater and circularly surrounding geological faults of a diameter of about 2km and the surrounding valley, dotted with smaller craters, lakes, meadows and forests.

31113457472_16f94b06fa_o.png

Let's take a look at the crater from different perspectives and times of day:

31619393966_e4062b66b7_o.png

31619399446_fda601681d_o.png

31122575742_609ee1da29_o.png

30445695984_a46bca818a_o.png

At night the meteor shard glows in bright, changing colors:

31510027962_7b859bacb7_o.png

Inside the crater:

30815001554_fa5a5b6118_o.png

31620349896_4de8e172d7_o.png

31518197092_c869a0d442_o.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Nier: Automata's PS4 and PS4 Pro performance were detailed by Square Enix:

On the PS4 it will run in 900p resolution and 60fps. (Wowsa! O: @ 60fps)
On PS4 Pro it will run in full 1080p resolution and 60fps, additionally image IQ and post processing, lighting and shadows will be improved.

Motion blur will be added (I hate motion blur, always looks shitty in screenshots):

dEhc.jpg

More detailed lighting:

eEhc.jpg

More detailed shadows and texture filtering on the ground:

cEhc.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Hard to believe those screenshots are from a PS4 game

The Nier Automata pics? o__O Why?

For an open world game to run in solid 60fps some sacrifices have to be made. Also this are cropped out and zoomed in pictures. Those always look unflattering.
The game seems to look quite nice in motion:

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Nier: Automata's PS4 and PS4 Pro performance were detailed by Square Enix:

On the PS4 it will run in 900p resolution and 60fps. (Wowsa! O: @ 60fps)
On PS4 Pro it will run in full 1080p resolution and 60fps, additionally image IQ and post processing, lighting and shadows will be improved.

Motion blur will be added (I hate motion blur, always looks shitty in screenshots):

dEhc.jpg

More detailed lighting:

eEhc.jpg

More detailed shadows and texture filtering on the ground:

cEhc.jpg
I kind of wish the quality of these screenshots weren't so bad. Either way, I can't wait to pick this game up xD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD