The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
When I say there are PS2 games that had better hair rendering I certainly don't mean another Tekken, they always looked like crap. Remember the Soul Calibur 3 pic I showed last time? I'm not going to post it again...

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
When I say there are PS2 games that had better hair rendering I certainly don't mean another Tekken, they always looked like crap. Remember the Soul Calibur 3 pic I showed last time? I'm not going to post it again...
The hair in soul Calibur 3 wasn't that good either imo XD I mean it's better than tekken but overall more in texture and movement and hit detection for braids and stuff. You also gotta remember long loose hair is the most difficult to pull off, and you have to make sacrifices to render it a certain way. DOA worries more about movement and how it goes over the shoulder so they sacrifice thickness and length for that while in tekken in regards to lili they can use better presentation since her hair never goes over the shoulders but then again it's a hime cut, it's designed to be that way which is why I'm so fascinated by the hairstyle

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
What do you guys think of my new Lili customs? I made the pink one literally like 2 hours ago and I'm in love with it.... idk why but pastel pink and white I've been using alot lately and the headdress looks really good with it although I had trouble deciding on whether to make the ribbon pink or creme white or icing white

DEhSFS6XcAA9pvQ

The headdress adds such good balance to the outfit, it's really satisfying just to look at ☆.☆

DEhSGRGXUAEJMND

DEhSHOZXsAEDtTp

DEhSINPWAAAllI0

This one I made is inspired by rainbows, I used the 7 colors in order to make it and I used the rainbow hair

DEhSlBuXYAE2qvl

DEhSmbPXoAASI7-

DEhSnqAXcAMLBdF

DEhSotnWAAAqDGP

Also here's some pics of kid Kazuya from story mode, turns out if you don't actually press anything during the battle they just stand there. I kinda wish kid Kazuya was a character, I would use him since he's much better as a child

DEhS9qSXYAEzcM_

DEhS_EAXkAMEuJi

DEhTCUHXsAAe38l

Heihachi's stance honestly kinda was kinda unsettling and disturbed me a bit since he just stands there....even if you sidestep he'll shift in your direction just staring and if you don't attack long enough he'll say something

DEhTAoHWAAIGo5A

The moment before the toss that started it all​

Tyaren

Standard Donor
At first I thought, boy, do I really want to take some Aquaman shots in Injustice 2, to share them in the graphics thread...but then I suddenly thought it would be a so much cooler idea to rather share some of the amazing character models of Horizon Zero Dawn. Here are some of my favorites:

Rost:

horizon-character-art-rost-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-rost-turnaround.jpg

Teersa:

horizon-character-art-teersa-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-teersa-turnaround.jpg

Vanasha:

horizon-character-art-vanasha-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-vanasha-turnaround.jpg

Sylens:

horizon-character-art-sylens-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-sylens-turnaround.jpg

I found it by the way very refreshing that the population of Horizon Zero Dawn's world is so diverse. There is hardly any other game that matches it racial diversity. There are so many great black, Asian or mixed characters.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
At first I thought, boy, do I really want to take some Aquaman shots in Injustice 2, to share them in the graphics thread...but then I suddenly thought it would be a so much cooler idea to rather share some of the amazing character models of Horizon Zero Dawn. Here are some of my favorites:

Rost:

horizon-character-art-rost-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-rost-turnaround.jpg

Teersa:

horizon-character-art-teersa-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-teersa-turnaround.jpg

Vanasha:

horizon-character-art-vanasha-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-vanasha-turnaround.jpg

Sylens:

horizon-character-art-sylens-portrait.jpg

horizon-character-art-sylens-turnaround.jpg

I found it by the way very refreshing that the population of Horizon Zero Dawn's world is so diverse. There is hardly any other game that matches it racial diversity. There are so many great black, Asian or mixed characters.
I can say I like the race diversity at least :p Also I did another one of my comparisons, do you want to see it? It tool alot of Photoshop and and extracting and lassoing

Chapstick

I know Warriors games aren't known for their graphics......like at all but christ what a downgrade

HsbeRLn.png

Looks like they ripped the polygons straight from DOA5 then lowered the textures to PS2 levels

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
I know Warriors games aren't known for their graphics......like at all but christ what a downgrade

HsbeRLn.png

Looks like they ripped the polygons straight from DOA5 then lowered the textures to PS2 levels
Yeah that's Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, Rendering Star plays it with me sometimes and first thing I've noticed are that the graphics aren't that great, Sophitia who I mainly play has her SC4 model in the game and it looks ok overall but still downgraded, her braid moves as if they've removed the wind effects and just put a 5 pound weight in her braid. Then again tho the game has almost 100 characters in the roster in duel mode so I can see why they had to cut corners

@Tyaren can I share my comparisons?? :-D

Tyaren

Standard Donor

HsbeRLn.png

Are you sure the textures didn't just fail to load properly? Looks like a texture streaming problem. If that is how it actually looks like, then it is even worse than most of what we saw back on the PS2. D:

Some detail shots of random Horizon NPC's:

33525061140_759a1d97dc_o.png

33963485461_9eeece3ede_o.png

33282062423_317d5d21a6_o.png

@Tyaren can I share my comparisons?? :-D

Alright, knock yourself out... :/

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
D
Are you sure the textures didn't just fail to load properly? Looks like a texture streaming problem. If that is how it actually like, than it is even worse than most of what we saw back on the PS2. D:

Some detail shots of random Horizon NPC's:

33525061140_759a1d97dc_o.png

33963485461_9eeece3ede_o.png

33282062423_317d5d21a6_o.png

Alright, knock yourself out... :/
Don't worry it's not a barrage of Tekken pics, that's for later today XD

So I got bored and was playing around in my photo gallery filled with 6000+ pics on my phone and then I used this lasso tool to kinda of crop out characters from an image and so I made these comparisons to compare certain games. Since they're all next to each other you can see the differences even more clearly which I liked

20170712_174306.jpg

This one I compared muscle detail and skin of the three character I personally preferred

20170712_174413.jpg

This one compares art and graphic style of the more anime type games I played. I couldn't get a good extract of A2 so I just used 9s since he's my second favorite

20170712_171309.jpg

This compares Kasumi and Lili, my two all time favorite female characters in fighting games

20170712_172626.jpg

Found this a while ago, this is a port of lili into DOA, and I gotta say I prefer her in her native game...her hair was downgraded, her clothes still look crisp and good but lack the shaders T7 has so it looks more like a mod than a genuine port. She overall looks half baked imo

20170712_172609.jpg

Lucky Chloe...the quality I admit is better than Lilis but overall she looks more genuine in her native game, the shirt is overdone in size in DOA but she's passable imo
Speaking of which, I wonder how Eliot and Kasumi would look ported into Tekken 7...or even street fighter 5!! I think they would look way better with the better shaders and stuff

20170712_172545.jpg

Finally I compared the DOA4 hair with T7 loose hair, DOA4 could hold up if it wasn't for the tresses just blatantly clipping but the drape looks much better imo and it's just as thick as Lili's at that

Fotor_149992680954926.jpg

Yeah it definitely has a more natural drape in DOA4....they should port that model in T7, I'm interested to see how it would turn out

That concludes my comparisons!☆​

Chapstick

Are you sure the textures didn't just fail to load properly? Looks like a texture streaming problem. If that is how it actually looks like, then it is even worse than most of what we saw back on the PS2. D:
That is actually just how it looks. Normally you're not that close to see how terrible it is. Here's Ayane, I think this was ported directly from NG no changes

J6McmTp.png

And @KL69 DOA5 has the best hair, it just has an opacity issue with Kasumi. They made hers too transparent. When the textures are made more opaque it looks a lot better (Alpha's hair on the left which has identical polygons to Kasumi's on the right)-

rdoLyhA.png

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
That is actually just how it looks. Normally you're not that close to see how terrible it is. Here's Ayane, I think this was ported directly from NG no changes

J6McmTp.png

And @KL69 DOA5 has the best hair, it just has an opacity issue with Kasumi. They made hers too transparent. When the textures are made more opaque it looks a lot better (Alpha's hair on the left which has identical polygons to Kasumi's on the right)-

rdoLyhA.png
It's way too thin for me to to say it's the best but some of the girls have better physics I can say. Also some styles are a bit too flowy, almost like TH forgot hair has weight to it but they likely animated hair that way for more ogling purposes

Tyaren

Standard Donor
That is actually just how it looks. Normally you're not that close to see how terrible it is. Here's Ayane, I think this was ported directly from NG no changes.
Damn, you are right:

It is only Kasumi that they fucked up like this though. While the other characters in the game are as well downgraded from their original versions, especially what hair and cloth physics are concerned, none has as terrible textures and modelling as Kasumi:

Yes, that is Ayane's Ninja Gaiden model (with the weird shoulders and smaller chin). Also strange that they rather took that old model instead of her newer one in DOA 5.

Mayor-Of-Mustard

D
Don't worry it's not a barrage of Tekken pics, that's for later today XD

So I got bored and was playing around in my photo gallery filled with 6000+ pics on my phone and then I used this lasso tool to kinda of crop out characters from an image and so I made these comparisons to compare certain games. Since they're all next to each other you can see the differences even more clearly which I liked

View attachment 23541
This one I compared muscle detail and skin of the three character I personally preferred

View attachment 23542
This one compares art and graphic style of the more anime type games I played. I couldn't get a good extract of A2 so I just used 9s since he's my second favorite

View attachment 23543
This compares Kasumi and Lili, my two all time favorite female characters in fighting games

View attachment 23544
Found this a while ago, this is a port of lili into DOA, and I gotta say I prefer her in her native game...her hair was downgraded, her clothes still look crisp and good but lack the shaders T7 has so it looks more like a mod than a genuine port. She overall looks half baked imo

View attachment 23545
Lucky Chloe...the quality I admit is better than Lilis but overall she looks more genuine in her native game, the shirt is overdone in size in DOA but she's passable imo
Speaking of which, I wonder how Eliot and Kasumi would look ported into Tekken 7...or even street fighter 5!! I think they would look way better with the better shaders and stuff

View attachment 23546
Finally I compared the DOA4 hair with T7 loose hair, DOA4 could hold up if it wasn't for the tresses just blatantly clipping but the drape looks much better imo and it's just as thick as Lili's at that

View attachment 23547
Yeah it definitely has a more natural drape in DOA4....they should port that model in T7, I'm interested to see how it would turn out

That concludes my comparisons!☆​
i don't like how in deadgran sagura the girl's faces all look way too similar, but then again it is the anime art style. i'd like something fresh from bigknockers dankura graphics-wise. Especially with Yozakura ingame she looks...not right.
maxresdefault.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn looks amazing, I'm soooo getting it soon!!

Kid Kazuya be lookin like Ishimaru Kiyotaka from dangan ronpa xD

I love Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate but I can't get past a certain level with poison gas so I'm just messing around on musou battlefields, uploading stages completely redesigned so every character is Zhang He and it's just his same dialogue over and over with a 'musou battlefields was a mistake' at the end

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
*Quickly uploads Tekken 7 pics to troll @Tyaren*

DEn0qIrV0AITqze

I love this angle since her bangs cover her eyes. Kinda wish hairstyles were universal, I think Lili would look good with this look

DEn0s2xUAAMZCJZ

I really just wanna short hair option

DEn0rjdUQAA6zjN

DEn0ue1UMAADmEf

Probably my favorite outfit for King

DEn1STjUIAAGPV3

Kinda wish the camera was this close by default

DEn1Uf1VwAAmzJf

DEn1WUrVoAE-EFb

DEn1XlkVoAI4zLk

I love how the water looks here from high angles, it gives the stage such a good gloomy vibe which I like. I love depressing stages ♡.♡​

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Ed is basically a design mixture of Eliot and Jin. No wonder you are in love. His costume design looks really stupid and off-putting though. XD

*Quickly uploads Tekken 7 pics to troll @Tyaren

I was thinking about trolling you by asking Brute to ban you from this thread, lol.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks amazing, I'm soooo getting it soon!!
Oh, you have to! Most critics call it the best PS4 exclusive. Forget the haters in here who haven't even played the game and say it looks boring. XD
It's sort of a Witcher 3 light, shorter and more focused, it has a really good and engaging story with a great female lead, the combat is believed by critics to be the best of its kind in a game like this and the world you will be exploring is just absolutely gorgeous.

Here are a few screens that I stole form Neogaf and that I think are absolutely amazing:

33562521575_8889f94247_o.png

1490729522-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170328210220.png

FOBBrts.jpg

33254906940_1c1af7246b_o.png

1490439720-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170325113359.png

33604985015_c8167f2ae3_o.png

33538074455_02d9e8af9e_h.jpg

33497007556_6327c4eace_h.jpg

1490379079-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170324153237.png

33449376336_1c756a7eda_o.png

horizon_zero_dawn_16_by_gamephotography-db1hzk9.png
(...and this one is by me. ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Ed is basically a design mixture of Eliot and Jin. No wonder you are in love. His costume design looks really stupid and off-putting though. XD

I was thinking about trolling you by asking Brute to ban you from this thread, lol.

Oh, you have to! Most critics call it the best PS4 exclusive. Forget the haters in here who haven't even played the game and say it looks boring. XD
It's sort of a Witcher 3 light, shorter and more focused, it has a really good and engaging story with a great female lead, the combat is believed to be the best of its kind in a game of its kind and the world you will be exploring is just absolutely gorgeous.

Here are a few screens that I stole form Neogaf and that I think are absolutely amazing:

horizon_zero_dawn_16_by_gamephotography-db1hzk9.png

(...and this one is by me. ;))

I love that pic! Also you wouldn't do that to me me XD how else would I post pics if I did get the Injustice 2 game? Plus I may get SFV too. And yeah I don't really like the off the shoulder coat on Ed much, he's better off just shirtless since it looks basically like a take on Hwoarang's new default in Tekken 7. Speaking of which did you know a theory on why he wears that black eyepatch is because of what happened to him in his T7 ending?

DCkP6mMUQAA1xYi

I took this pic for uh.... reasons but what occurs in the ending is believed to be the reason as to why he wears an eyepatch over his eye which is kinda sad imo, a bit dark for him.​

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I love that pic! Also you wouldn't do that to me me XD how else would I post pics if I did get the Injustice 2 game? Plus I may get SFV too. And yeah I don't really like the off the shoulder coat on Ed much, he's better off just shirtless since it looks basically like a take on Hwoarang's new default in Tekken 7. Speaking of which did you know a theory on why he wears that black eyepatch is because of what happened to him in his T7 ending?

DCkP6mMUQAA1xYi

I took this pic for uh.... reasons but what occurs in the ending is believed to be the reason as to why he wears an eyepatch over his eye which is kinda sad imo, a bit dark for him.​

What happens? You can put it in spoilers.

Since my (well, not really mine, I took them from Neogaf except one, lol) pretty Horizon pics are now on the last page, you won't mind me adding some here too. ;)

32686827383_ee2314e737_o.png

32664266703_bce92d483e_o.png

1489768306-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170317163441.png

33459919196_574a0c5e8c_o.png

1489768258-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170317170751.png

32634950254_29491bbc4f_o.png

33239679332_ec30ee35ca_o.png

horizonzerodawn_20170cfjn0.png

Meridian02-1.50oe-0.40b.png

32599182173_e78965747f_h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
What happens? You can put it in spoilers.

Since my (well, not really mine, I took them from Neogaf except one, lol) pretty Horizon pics are now on the last page, you won't mind me adding some here too. ;)

32686827383_ee2314e737_o.png

32664266703_bce92d483e_o.png

1489768306-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170317163441.png

33459919196_574a0c5e8c_o.png

1489768258-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170317170751.png

32634950254_29491bbc4f_o.png

33239679332_ec30ee35ca_o.png

horizonzerodawn_20170cfjn0.png

Meridian02-1.50oe-0.40b.png

32599182173_e78965747f_h.jpg
There's a grenade tossed at devil Jin and Hwoarang pushes him out if the way and gets hit by it, and I think he loses his eyesight in one eye or it was just hurt

Mayor-Of-Mustard

Hwoarang is too tsundere man I love his old look better than his edgy emo look.

hwoarang probably lost his eye and went 'holy shit i have an eyepatch now this looks kinda cool actually lemme dye my hair to match'

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Hwoarang is too tsundere man I love his old look better than his edgy emo look.

hwoarang probably lost his eye and went 'holy shit i have an eyepatch now this looks kinda cool actually lemme dye my hair to match'
I think he did that too XD plus his default would look strange with just that eyepatch and no costume theme to match

And yeah I prefer his original costume, his new one is ok, I like the shirt and jeans and hair but everything else no

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD