Which AI difficulty should I train at?

Edmund

It's hard to find people to spar with online and my friends play only street fighter so I don't have anyone to practice with =(

So which AI difficulty should I train with until before the AI starts becoming unfair and starts holding almost every move?

Just picked up kokoro yesterday and got my ass handed to me by Jacky and jann lee in champ difficulty.

CFW

I say go the easiest first, then work your way up over time.

You have to get used to the character you choose. Other than that, go with the level that's not too hard, but just enough that it won't annoy you. I believe that the less annoyed you get, the more you're willing to advance forward. So slow and steady.

David Gregg

I'd guess 3 or 4 would be a good start. On 1 they basically just stand there so it wouldn't really help you train.

Aven Kujo-Gin

3/4 is good, but be careful with what character you choose to train with, because there are some characters that are pretty annoying, doesn't matter the difficulty level. The VF characteres for example are a pain in the ass.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I personally train at level 8, simply because that's the most "natural" level of AI there is. Though after awhile, you start to notice the AI's patterns and it's easy to fight against them.

Ivan Osorio

Training at 4-6, the AI does something interesting: Each character has a "personality". Ein tries to hold A LOT, Zack taunts like there is no tomorrow (etc). At 6, I noticed the introduction of other mechanics into the repertoire drowns some of this out, but it still happens.

I don't know if this holds true on 7 or 8, as I have never tried, I suppose it does, but training on lower difficulties, such as 4 or 3, can give you good practice on reacting to certain behaviors without the AI wrecking you for mistakes. For example, chose to fight against Ein on 4 or such to practice reacting against flawed counter holds. Or pick a character you are not familiar with at 3 and practicing blocking their strings. AI sparring in free mode, IMO, is very good for situational training. You can also just go into free training and establish some conditions, like always stagger escape at fastest or always try to hold at fastest with a random hold. Throw breaks, etc. and see how you fare, see for what you fall and see what you can punish.

Also worth noting: If you just picked up a character, take the time to learn what their safe and fast attacks are. This helps a lot... I felt instantly comfortable at level 6 with Rachel after some research, whereas I still struggle at level 4 with almost everyone else.

ScattereDreams

None. Training against the AI is just impossible IMO. The CPU is always reading your input ALWAYS. So mind games, 50/50's, anticipation, things that work on human based players will NOT work on the CPU.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, a lot of the things you would use to open up a normal opponent wouldn't work at all against AIs. 5U is definitely better than 5 in this respect, but it's still far from a human opponent.

Rawbietussin

Go for Level 8 if you want to know when to intercept and hold out strikes that may or may not be dished out on you by normal player opponents. If you want to formulate combos and juggles, it's best if you don't put a difficulty setting at all or maybe at least Level 1-3. In Level 4-7, this is the point where it gets risky and that some of the combos and juggles you formulated may or may not be practical to use anymore.

RH_Stealth

For me, 8 is good. I've been playing DOA5U for almost 2 weeks (as Hayabusa) and the training helped me use different moves. Against other beginners I use predictable combos that go to a critical burst and then finish with an Izuna, because they don't hold. Against better players and level 8 CPU, they hold.

In a match against a good player I'll keep trying for those critical burst combos because I'll be thinking "I need a high damage combo to get back into this", but of course they just keep holding. With infinite health in practice, I'm not worried about losing, and I suddenly start using moves I'd never used before.

Training against a level 8 made my moveset more diverse, and now I use my new moves in real matches.

Aspect

Playing against a high AI level Akira can really help your throw game. I swear he'll block everything except for lows.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD