What happened to WWE?

Game Over

Real talk is real.
http://forum.ewrestlingnews.com/entry.php?46134-The-real-reason-why

And while this article emphasizes Oct '99 as a pivot date for the company (when it went "public"), by my own observation as a fan, WWE didn't start truly going downhill until April '05 (when Cena first won the WWE title). When Cena officially became "the face" of the company was the start of WWE doing less and less the things that made it truly fun to watch.

Bdiamond

Real talk is real.
http://forum.ewrestlingnews.com/entry.php?46134-The-real-reason-why

And while this article emphasizes Oct '99 as a pivot date for the company (when it went "public"), by my own observation as a fan, WWE didn't start truly going downhill until April '05 (when Cena first won the WWE title). When Cena officially became "the face" of the company was the start of WWE doing less and less the things that made it truly fun to watch.

I had no clue it was this deep after reading the article, but it does explain a lot. Could that be why so many of the wrestlers I liked never progressed? Do you guys remember John Morrison? That guy was fucking a blast to watch but they never pushed him to World Champion or WWE champion. He was a damn good athlete too.

I actually hated Cena in 05-08 more than I hate him now. The pay-per-views were stale, he was getting stuck wrestling mid-cards like Umaga and Great Khali... then Wrestlemania would come around and he'd beat my favorites (HHH, Shawn) after getting his ass whooped on technical levels.

Now, he clearly knows himself, he's putting on better matches and he's not holding on to the title like he used to.

When The Rock pinned Cena, and when my man CM Punk beat his streak, I could finally breathe as a fan and put my hate for Cena on the back burner so I could enjoy the rest of the program.

You prefer his in ring performance now compared to his old PPVs? It could be that our tastes are on two spectrums but I wouldn't say what he does now beats his past matches. They have Cena use "5 moves of death" currently.

Speaking of 5 moves, this question has been on my mind forever, why do some wrestlers get to do tons of moves, but when they become a big face they essentially get a smaller moveset? Cena, Bret hart, Hulk Hogan, Shawn Micheals(at one point) do that 5 move cycle but why?

Does the company make that decision or...? (coz these guys all have done a wider variety of moves in their earlier career points)

Last edited:

Game Over

Hey Bdiamond, most telling of how much WWE's booking is BS is how they screwed Zack Ryder during his own hot stretch (which he EARNED by HIS OWN extra effort).

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6006522-419/ryder-too-popular-for-wwe-to-chance.html#.VAkhF4HE5hE

WWE dropped the ball by not featuring hometown hero Zack Ryder on ‘‘Raw’’ last Monday night from Long Island, N.Y. Thanks in part to his YouTube videos, Ryder has a cult following, and WWE feared he would have received a bigger pop than its main-event stars, including John Cena.

In other words, the WWE suits decided not to use a wrestler the fans want to see because they were afraid the cheering might be too loud.

And they wonder why half their fans are gone.

Bdiamond

Hey Bdiamond, most telling of how much WWE's booking is BS is how they screwed Zack Ryder during his own hot stretch (which he EARNED by HIS OWN extra effort).

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/6006522-419/ryder-too-popular-for-wwe-to-chance.html#.VAkhF4HE5hE

They should of booked Ryder! Wouldn't the booking work in their favor anyways since he would get a big pop? I can't understand the WWE anymore.

It's annoying how they're not pushing a lot of these deserving superstars.

PacManila

I was also pretty disappointed with how they booked Ryder. Granted he wasn't some sort of mat tactician, but he was able to get a huge following, big pop, and displayed potential charisma on his own, which is something that WWE struggles with when they try to make stars themselves (ex. Alberto Del Rio).

As for John Morrison, there were a few factors that led to how he was handled. This included his interaction with Trish during their discussion of their WM match with Snooki and the reputation his then-girlfriend Melina backstage. He basically paid for his sins and his girlfriend's.

Bushido

You could argue that it's not the company, but the fans. Think about it, they aren't really doing much different, and to younger people it's the same as when you guys were young in the Attitude Era or, for me, the Ruthless Aggression Era. It's just a different fan base.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
What is the difference between John Cena and Zack Ryder? Zack went with a Jersey Shore gimmick, and it worked about as long as Jersey Shore was popular on TV. In my opinion his wrestling isn't even close to Cena's, and I strongly dislike Cena.

He wasn't booked because he has no angle, his wrestling is boring... and he's a jobber. I watched his show for a while, and I hardly ever laughed. I'm glad he's not active on the roster anymore.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD