Weight classes....

Do you like the idea of heavier weight characters taking more damage from falls/grabs?

• Total voters

Tokkosho

So i've been thinking about this for awhile, and i didn't really see any poll for it, so i decided to make one. i honestly think they should take more damage from grabs and falls. If they are gonna make it so their weight affects how high they launch and how fast they fall, why not affect how hard they fall? now when i say fall damage, i mean from cliffs and slam attacks (tinas 8P for example) things like that. And grabs= all grabs

DR2K

Heavyweights should both be midweights. They aren't disadvantaged enough to warrant it. Maybe Bass, but his pressure/tech game is so fucking godly.

Brute

Standard Donor
The whole idea of the weight system in DOA is silly, imo. Kasumi is still able throw bass over her head with one arm, but yet magically gravity decides to kick in with free-juggling? So naturally I'd say "no, everyone should have the same juggle/fall properties."

That said, if it's gonna be in there anyway, characters who fall faster should receive a bit more fall damage to compensate. The real question then would be whether such a system would then affect gravity-reliant attacks, like the Izuna drop.

RoboJoe

No thanks. It's an interesting quirk that works in the favour of Bass and Bayman. Taking it away makes them worse and less unique. They're not even Taka-Arashi level of weight, where it completely changes how your moves interact with him. Not that Taka's weight is bad, it diversifies the character roster in a unique way.

shunwong

I think this is a good idea. Lighter characters get juggled higher, heavier characters should fall harder.

Roroko

It makes sense that they're launched lower because more strength is required to lift heavier objects, but once they start falling gravity is constant for everyone :p

See, Team Ninja knows more than just jiggle physics!

Brute

Standard Donor
It makes sense that they're launched lower because more strength is required to lift heavier objects, but once they start falling gravity is constant for everyone :p

See, Team Ninja knows more than just jiggle physics!
Not really how physics work. Since they're heavier, they will gain momentum faster in freefall. Seeing as characters seem to fall at consistent speeds regardless of their time spent in freefall or their weight, I would say TN still only knows jiggle physics.

Actually, I take that back. TN has no idea how real boobs actually move. That or they intentionally choose to make something un-indicative of it.

I'll just conclude by saying that physics is not TN's strong area.

TRI Mike

While I do get pissed that I can barely juggle them with anyone other than Tina, changing the weight system at this point is kind of impossible in my opinion. Besides, there are much more important things to work on before this.

Tones

Premium Donor
No thanks. It's an interesting quirk that works in the favour of Bass and Bayman. Taking it away makes them worse and less unique. They're not even Taka-Arashi level of weight, where it completely changes how your moves interact with him. Not that Taka's weight is bad, it diversifies the character roster in a unique way.
Brad Wong as well.

CrimsonCJ

Not really how physics work. Since they're heavier, they will gain momentum faster in freefall. Seeing as characters seem to fall at consistent speeds regardless of their time spent in freefall or their weight, I would say TN still only knows jiggle physics.

Actually, I take that back. TN has no idea how real boobs actually move. That or they intentionally choose to make something un-indicative of it.

I'll just conclude by saying that physics is not TN's strong area.

Physics is not the point of a game in which you are literally able to suspend someone in midair by pushing them horizontally while they fall. It's not like I actually want my fighting games to have totally realistic physics; I'm here for movie-like fight scenes, not a literal martial arts simulator. But the vast majority of fighting game systems are built with really dumb looking movement structures, and DOA is no exception.

That said, the "moronic" becomes sublimely bizarre and gross when involving breasts.

As to fall damage? I mean, I'd be OK with it. It'd actually be kinda interesting. But it probably shouldn't have too much effect or be a dominant feature.

Tokkosho

the thing im going for here is just to see where people stand on this. im a little surprised at how many people said no however lol. Btw, this isn't for JUST bayman and bass, its for everyone... lightweights take normal damage, mid weights take slightly more damage (maybe what, 10 extra on fall, 5 on normal throw, 10 on counter throw, so on so forth?), heavy weights take heavier damage (15 on fall, 10 on normal, you get the idea).
this may change some of your opinions for better or worse, i'm not really sure which to expect lol

TakedaZX

Hard to say, I haven't ran into a problematic Bayman or Bass yet... Idk... maybe it's necessary.

Mailifang

You raise an interesting question. But guys like Bayman and especially Bass based on their fighting style falling or dealing with getting knocked down isn't really an issue. Bass is a former pro wrestler and the first things you learn as a wrestler is training your body to take "bumps". Which constantly tuning your body to get used to hitting the mat or floor safely. I think the only thing I would change is how fast they get up after a juggle.

HiguraShiki

The reason why the heavyweights fall faster and take less damage from juggling is mostly because they are slower and generally much more difficult to play. Bayman and Bass need that class in order to have a better advantage vs the much more faster characters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD