News We Can Get There, But...

Can DOA ever become respected as far as to become ESports?

• Total voters

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
There is too much worry from the community. Somethings have been a wash, and sometimes numbers have been low, but we have grown considerably. Tekken and SF players both wouldn't look twice at DOA and now they are.

I've already made it pretty clear that the whole "women oversexualized" thing is a borderline lie. Reminds me of a Christian. They claim to be prudes but are the biggest freaks of them all... source? Experience. lol Everyone on FSD is talking killer shit about bikinis, but yet everyone is buying them.

DOA is what it is. I have confidence in the series, I enjoy the series and I enjoy the community. I will be continuing to enjoy my game. I've only made it to one offline tournament, but I expect to improve on that number.

And Ultimately, some people must be more involved if they want to see results. IF you don't like the current state of the community... get out there and do something about it.

Tempest

E-sports arise from extreme popularity and a lot of money from the parent company. DOA has neither of those and likely never will. All we can do is offer core fighters to interested parties and try to nurture a local scene where possible. Though I expect the next Gen and PC release should bring in some new faces. Look forward to it.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Yeah, a primary challenge to focus on is getting more people to play DOA and then try and cultivate them for offline play if they have become interested by DOA5's combat system. A couple people at my last tournament did show interest in DOA5U and one of them asked me to train them with Kasumi. I started to describe how Kasumi's frames work and he quickly realized just how incredibly complex DOA5U's combat system is, especially once you factor in SE's and guarantees for example. Don't even get me started on trying to train people on throw usage lol.

I will say that compared to most FG's, DOA5 is actually quite attractive to newcomers. The key is to keep playing and repping the game regularly without deterring from your path (I.e. playing something else like an Anime fighter, though it is also quite important to show respect to other FGs). What I find turns off newcomers is the notion that DOA is just a "Scrubby, Titty Fighter". I.e. they may feel ashamed to take interest in the series. This is the unfortunate stigma we have to battle against and contributes to our uphill battle. I can testify that once someone in my scene sees or plays my Ayane, they discover almost immediately that DOA5U, at least, is a pretty damn legit fighting game. This is why, to me, it's important that DOA has more "higher level" play on display from a variety of players instead of mashy, scrubby nonsense.

But I still standby, like Ten pointed out, that a large aspect to growing the community and acquiring players is by making the DOA community look attractive and welcoming to potential players, instead of a hostile, degenerative environment.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Yeah exactly as @Force_of_Nature stated, I've always done the same thing at single event I've ever gone to for DOA. Both locally and tournament major events. People never get that bad vibe or awkward stigma from me after they meet me in person.

Gotta be welcoming and approachable for people.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I find the biggest hurdle an "OG" fighting game player has when coming to DOA is the reliance on Throw Punishment, some would say over-reliance. I would like to see if more attack punishment were made an option in DOA6. DOA2 and DOA3 you could legit attack punish due to normal hit stuns, launchers, and natural combo strings. DOA5 at least has the most use of spacing for the series.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I find the biggest hurdle an "OG" fighting game player has when coming to DOA is the reliance on Throw Punishment, some would say over-reliance. I would like to see if more attack punishment were made an option in DOA6. DOA2 and DOA3 you could legit attack punish due to normal hit stuns, launchers, and natural combo strings. DOA5 at least has the most use of spacing for the series.

There is strike punishment in DOA5, outside of whiff punishment.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
I didn't say you weren't, just that both do exist in this game. It just doesn't happen as frequently because most don't think about it. But it's a habit I've been making more and more lately.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I didn't say you weren't, just that both do exist in this game.

Okay, thanks. Reading without tone on the internet all these years has me default my thinking of someone who quotes me with a single line statement as a counter argument with a hidden smh after it.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
This topic brings back memories. I remember when I first got involved in my university's FGC and was the sole DOA guy. But I keep playing it, showing it off, and people started to get interested. I may not be able to go to tournaments like I want to, but I can at least get people interested in the series. I always tell people about Core Fighters if they want to give DOA a try in their spare time. What also sparked interest was the TFC 14 finals. They saw how hype DOA can get and now, many of my friends with PS4s are considering buying Last Round. There are numerous ways to support a game and its community, even if it's not how others want you to support it. Like I said, I wish I could make it to tournaments, but I cannot at the moment being a college student. Instead, I just bring DOA with me whenever I can and play it to get people talking.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
This topic brings back memories. I remember when I first got involved in my university's FGC and was the sole DOA guy. But I keep playing it, showing it off, and people started to get interested. I may not be able to go to tournaments like I want to, but I can at least get people interested in the series. I always tell people about Core Fighters if they want to give DOA a try in their spare time. What also sparked interest was the TFC 14 finals. They saw how hype DOA can get and now, many of my friends with PS4s are considering buying Last Round. There are numerous ways to support a game and its community, even if it's not how others want you to support it. Like I said, I wish I could make it to tournaments, but I cannot at the moment being a college student. Instead, I just bring DOA with me whenever I can and play it to get people talking.
This was a great thing you were doing. This is a solid example of how just supporting your game convincingly will generate interest and get people involved. My buddy Yurlungur did something similar at his university and commend his efforts. Good stuff! :)

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
It's still an uphill battle, but at least progress has been made. It went from people not even giving DOA a chance to then actually considering buying DOA5 Last Round for their PS4s. Also, it helps that I've found people to play with offline.

DrDam

Here's how it goes when I try to get one of my friends to play the game :
- I have to convince them the game is more than boob jiggle simulator
- I have to convince them the game is good enough to still be full-price
- I have to explain the thousands of dollars worth of DLC are not even remotely necessary

And the challenge continues even after they get the game. Simpy starting it up for the first time is a challenge. You have to pray the game will detect the dozens of required costume catalogues.

There is also a buttload of bugs that make the game kind of hard to play, for example, when in a ranked match and you pick a DLC character the other player doesn't have and the game crashes. It is deceiving that using the characters you paid extra money for will ultimately be a burden, without mentioning how uncomplete they are.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD