Wake up escapes

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I've noticed some characters have the ability to seemingly completely avoid the wake up game and I was curious about these and why I don't seem them used more often. So If you character has ways around it could you please give me details like what moves, if there are any conditions, and why you don't spam this at every given opportunity?

Yoyo

What exactly do you mean avoid the wake up game, like special wake up moves or....?

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
how does your character avoid getting kicked in the face from the opponent on the ground. for examples when the ninjas teleport or back flip away, they don't have to worry if its a mid or low kick.

Yoyo

Oh, well in that case I know Lei can jump over them with 6H+K and avoid both low and mid kicks and get a free launcher, her 7K can beat mid wake up kicks at the right distance and time it also jumps over lows, and 3P+K can beat mid wake ups and low kicks at the right time and distance. Are these in the range of what you're looking for?

Brute

Standard Donor
Technically a well-timed 6KP will work do avoid WU kicks with Hayabusa. However, that string is very linear. People will catch on and they will begin to hold the punch follow-up (opting out of the follow-up doesn't give you the same crush properties). So there's really no universal way to negate WUs, at least with Hayabusa.

Yaguar

You can drop damage with some characters to negate the wake up game. Christie by use of example has :2::H+K::P: if you're willing to drop a combo early gives a pseudo setup that basically forces them to tech or suck it.
Not 100% I remember this right but one combo that would work for it...
CH :H+K::K: >> :6::K: >> :2::H+K::P:
- There are a couple of things it actually could be but it is along those lines (Moves used are right might just be an extra :6::K: or :H+K: into itself).

It is possible but it means dropping damage. If you're winning neutral a lot it could be worth it though.

Momiji obviously has :7::P: or :9::P::P+K: or just stepping back and waiting to see that start up... Then smashing them with :6::6::P::P: (Certain characters wake ups are a bitch for this though due to leg length or arc of the mid wake up).

QueenJakheiho

Christie as example had a lot options to escape wake up kicks, before i wrote a complete list from her, i post my video:

Last edited:

QueenJakheiho

H+K is golden against lowkicks right into a sitdown
And Dragon Kick against Midkicks really? Lol i never tried that, so more Dragon Kicks then ever haha ^^

Gurimmjaw

H+K is golden against lowkicks right into a sitdownAnd Dragon Kick against Midkicks really? Lol i never tried that, so more Dragon Kicks then ever haha ^^

Yeah I love H+K so I use that for the lows.

And yes. Dragon kick hits them when they do wake up mid kick. Tested moves he had against wake up mid kicks and the dragon kick was the move that hit them. Pretty awesome it does.

jjinkou2

my 2cts just to let people contribute with better answers:
:kokoro: : :1:P+K: but not to close.
:helena: : BKO :2::2: just for mid but when it works it's flashy.

Last edited:

Dr Snipe

Premium Donor
Tina's 4 P+K goes over lows and a well timed 4P+K goes over mids. 44P can go under mids but timing is strict.

Yaguar

Tina's 4 P+K goes over lows and a well timed 4P+K goes over mids. 44P can go under mids but timing is strict.
Does her sidesteppyjumping kick (think it was :8::8:/:2::2::K:) still dodge around wake up? In the yesteryears you could swing around wake ups and catch them on wake up with hella strict timing.

Dr Snipe

Premium Donor
Nope or at least whenever I tried online. Further research will be required. I know in Doa4 1 K used to go under mids and high wake up kicks. Research complete side step K goes under mids, will now abuse this out on the field. Too early results in going through each other. Timing it will get a counter hit. The jump kick which is now 7K goes over lows but you still get clipped.

Last edited:

Aven Kujo-Gin

Technically a well-timed 6KP will work do avoid WU kicks with Hayabusa. However, that string is very linear. People will catch on and they will begin to hold the punch follow-up (opting out of the follow-up doesn't give you the same crush properties). So there's really no universal way to negate WUs, at least with Hayabusa.
Actually, :8::F+P: can avoid WA kicks with safety, and if you do at the right time, you can even throw the opponent.

Brute

Standard Donor
Actually, :8::F+P: can avoid WA kicks with safety, and if you do at the right time, you can even throw the opponent.
I've seen gill using that, but I haven't been able to replicate the effect myself. Is certain spacing required, or just timing?

Aven Kujo-Gin

I've seen gill using that, but I haven't been able to replicate the effect myself. Is certain spacing required, or just timing?
You mean for throw the opponent? If so you have to do the throw right when you see that the opponent is going to wake up. Is not easy but is not hard either, the spacing doesn't matter so much.

Brute

Standard Donor
You mean for throw the opponent? If so you have to do the throw right when you see that the opponent is going to wake up. Is not easy but is not hard either, the spacing doesn't matter so much.
I seem to get struck out a lot, ironically by low sweeps. Like I'll be in the air at the peak of the jump when they do the kick, but then instead of grabbing them or jumping over them, Ryu will get smacked by a low sweep that totally should have missed him.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD