Top 5 Favorite Action Adventure Games?

Arnell Long

Action Adventure games has been around for quite sometime now, so what are your Top 5 respectively?

• First-person action-adventure, which make use of first-person shooter gameplay, forgoing constant action in favor of important adventure game elements such as environmental problem-solving and a complex plot. These are sometimes called Real-Time Adventure games or RTAs for short. A notable example of this is Metroid Prime and System Shock.
  • Third-person action-adventure, in which gameplay is in the third-person. Notable examples include games like Rune, Severance: Blade of Darkness and the Grand Theft Auto series.
  • Isometric platform games, which feature freely explorable environments with three-dimensional gameplay and two-dimensional graphics using an isometric projection.
  • Sandbox, which focus on nonlinear gameplay in an open world. Notable examples include The Legend of Zelda, Assassin's Creed and the Grand Theft Auto series.
  • Platform-adventure games, which emphasize both exploration and puzzle solving, but also feature traditional platform game conventions. The most famous games of this type are the Metroidvania games.
  • Stealth games, which emphasize avoiding detection by enemies rather than engaging them in direct combat, leading to a greater emphasis on exploration and puzzle-solving than other types of action games. A prime example of this is the Metal Gear franchise which helped establish this sub-genre.
  • Survival horror games, which emphasize "inventory management" and making sure the player has enough ammunition and recovery items to "survive" the horror setting. Survival-horror is a thematic genre with diverse gameplay, however, so not all survival horror games share these features. The Resident Evil franchise popularized this sub-genre and stands to date as the most popular franchise of its kind.

So without further or do....

Lets Go!!
Its-Friday-Lets-Dance-GIF.gif

Top 5 Action Adventure Games:

1. Mass Effect 2 [Xbox 360]
2. Jak 2-3 [PlayStation2]
3. Shenmue [Sega Dreamcast]
4. Bayonetta [Xbox 360]
5. Batman: Arkham City [Xbox 360]

Top 5 Honorable mentions: "Not that they're any less important than your main list."

1. Star Fox Adventures [Nintendo Gamecube]
2. Conker's Bad Fur Day [Nintendo 64]
3. Zelda: Twilight Princess [Nintend Wii]
4. Red Dead Redemption [Xbox 360]
5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves [PlayStation 3]

Awesmic

Standard Donor
1) Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox)
2) Bayonetta (Xbox 360)
3) Streets of Rage Remake
4) TMNT: Turtles in Time (SNES)
5) Guardian Heroes (Saturn)

Honorable Mentions:
Maximum Carnage, Pirates of Dark Water (SNES), Battletoads/Double Dragon (SNES), Shinobi 3 (Genesis), X-Men (Arcade)

d3v

1) Super Metroid
2) Okami
3) ZOE2
4) Bayonetta
5) Guardian Heroes

Off course, being me, this'll probably change within the next 24 hours when I'll suddenly remember a game and think "hey, that belongs in my list."

Blazeincarnated

5)Jak and Daxter and Rachet and Clank
4)Crash Bandicoot (all including Crash Bash I think you should try it)
3)TMNT games
2)Tenchu (mostly all except for that awful wii version)
1)Ninja Gaiden (all)

Other Mentions:
Wolverine: Adamantium's Rage SNES (I love that game)
Spyro
Metroid
Any Mario games
Mario Parties (especially 2 go play that one)
Megaman

Rikuto

P-P-P-P-P-P-POWER!
Tough Call.

5. Way of the Samurai
4. LoZ: MM (I appreciate the overall creepyness more than OoT really)
3. Dark Souls
2. NGB
1. Faxanadu (Bitches can't handle this game)

DriftSlave

1. Final Fight(AC)
2.Devil May Cry 3
3.Zone of the Enders(never got to play 2nd runner)
4.Phantasy Star Online(though it's more of a action rpg)
5.Rivercity Ransom

LondonLust

5. Kung Fu Chaos
4. I-Ninja
3. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mechassault
1. Left 4 Dead

Kinda lame, I didn't play much of these kinds of games.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Someone remind me what constitutes as an action adventure game? Many games have adventuring qualities with none, some, all, or mindless action of some sort.

Game Over

Someone remind me what constitutes as an action adventure game? Many games have adventuring qualities with none, some, all, or mindless action of some sort.

This thread is confusing because people are listing things like Action/RPGs, side-scrolling beat-em-ups, Action/Platformers, and other types that don't exactly fit the Action/Adventure mold.

When I think of Action/Adventure, I think of games like Tomb Raider, God of War, Batman: Arkham Asylum/City, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

x Sypher x

Dam this is tough, especially since I don't play this genre very often lol. Ok ummm...

1) Rayman 2
2) Mirror's Edge
3) Megaman X
4) Super Mario World
5) Starfox Adventures

I'll make an Honorable mentions list if I think of more.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So are they basically single-player games where you generally are fighting through a linear storyline? I don't know if 'linear' exclusively applies because the 'adventure' part could include something like The Elder Scrolls.

Game Over

So are they basically single-player games where you generally are fighting through a linear storyline? I don't know if 'linear' exclusively applies because the 'adventure' part could include something like The Elder Scrolls.

I would consider Elder Scrolls to be Action/RPG since your character progresses through levels of development via XP, and the like, can opt to interact with various NPCs as they choose (when not moving along the directed path of a particular quest), and also gains access to various weapons and armors through the collection of a game's particular currency (which the player is free to decide when/if to buy/sell/exchange something).

In Action/Adventure games, there typically is no XP to progress levels, and weapons and things are usually "found" either by searching the environment, by taking them from disabled enemies, or given as part of the progression of the story.

^ some of these shown, I'd consider more Action/Horror rather than Action/Adventure. But, the lines can get kinda blurred as genres evolve and mesh, same as they can with movies.

PhoenixVFIRE

Since I'm so sorta kinda confused on the whole action/adventure thing I'll give it a shot anyway.

1. Tomb Raider(all of them, except Angel of Darkness.....just...no...)
2. Ninja Gaiden 1(for the original Xbox)
3. Tenchu Z( the only one I got to play, but it was fun for a while)
4. Fable 1(more of an rpg, but there's actions and adventures in it) LOL
5. Grand Theft Auto?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action-adventure_game

Seems like almost any game can be considered Action/Adventure as long as there's actions and adventures in it. :D Makes sense!

FakeSypha

It's really hard just naming 5 games. I could name pretty much all entries from several franchises. Damn it. I'll bite anyway.
  • Resident Evil "REmake"
  • Fatal Frame II Crimson Butterfly
  • Castlevania Symphony of the Night
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Metroid Prime
Honorable mentions goes to: Bayonetta, Monster Hunter, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower, Kuon, Shenmue, Zelda, Soul Reaver, Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider, Dino Crisis, Parasite Eve, Fear Effect, Max Payne, Splatterhouse III, and a long etc... yeah, it's not fair naming just 5 games when the action-adventure genre has so many sub-genres, mixed genres, etc all full of awesome games.
I like survival horror games :)

Oh, and Onechanbara series, but that's pretty much a heavy fanservice game if anything :oops:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
1. Mega Man X
2. Batman Arkham City
3. Shadows of the Colossus/Ico remastered pack

I'll add the other two as I think about them, if they exist.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD