Tina's New Ground Game in DOA5U

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thx for the rundown VP. By "slamming attacks?, do you mean her air throws or attacks like 8P on a juggled opponent? I didn't play DOA 3 all that much (and never touched 3.1), so I'm not too knowledgeable about her moveset from the game.

I agree about 4P+K as a way to crush low rising kicks, but unfortunately, it no longer guarantees a ground throw like in vanilla :(
-Attacks like :6::h:+:K: that slam the opponent into the ground, where they are locked out of techrolling.

KingGhidorah

In your honest opinions, do you guys think Tina is worth using still? I'm rather conflicted on a third character at this point and have been looking at Tina a bit, but I can't quite make my mind up.

Doa_Eater

The only thing that really bugs me that even on a 8p bound 66pp2k doesn't work as tech. Not with delay, not on opponents that don't use recovery. Nada

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
I'm very worried about her overall. Things aren't looking good...

Eh I wouldn't worry at all. At first I was so shocked and scared not getting my force ups and it really worried me, but after a lot of matches I don't think it was that bad. I still like the way Tina is and personally still think she's great. She's a good character.

Concerning the new throw I think it's a nice touch. Good Tina players will maximize dmg using either the regular air throw, 4p+h, or the giant swing depending on juggle heights/weights, and 4p+h has a fun/useful factor of turning things in the opposite direction. I once used it against a player slamming them directly behind me into one of the trees in the old doa3 forest looking level and I thought it was hilarious.

-Things are not all doom and gloom in 5U land lol. This is not DOA4, so force techs good riddance lol. Think about it, nothing was guaranteed from them, just more guessing! With their removal, Tina now has more guaranteed ground game damage. This is what she is all about! This is what all Tina players should want, she was like this in 3.1 and it was a major strength for her than, and it is now!

Tina had the choice before though. She could go for the guaranteed ground dmg if she wanted to, but now she's forced to play a certain way, which at least sounds gay, but whatever. Losing the ground game hasn't been as shitty as I thought it would be in practice. Like I don't know why, it should be, but I've changed and of course can't rely on it. On one hand it's kind of nice because I never have to think about if I should go for a guessing game or just go for dmg. Dmg is the only answer, so choices are simplified, but at the same time raises issue of laziness lol.

Last edited:

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Tina had the choice before though. She could go for the guaranteed ground dmg if she wanted to, but now she's forced to play a certain way, which at least sounds gay, but whatever. Losing the ground game hasn't been as shitty as I thought it would be in practice. Like I don't know why, it should be, but I've changed and of course can't rely on it. On one hand it's kind of nice because I never have to think about if I should go for a guessing game or just go for dmg. Dmg is the only answer, so choices are simplified, but at the same time raises issue of laziness lol.
-You know what...even with DOA4 I didn't ever do force techs. I have never seen it beneficial in the long run. Guaranteed damage is always better than having to make to force a guessing game, unless you know the odds are heavily in your favor.

TRI Mike

The thing is the following: in vanilla I had the option to force tech after any of her untechables with :8::P: for +22 I think it was, she could use this to avoid getting interrupted and easily launch, use a strong OH like :8::H+P: or :4::6::H+P: or even go for a Hi-Counter J.O.Cyclone for holders. I for any reason I decided NOT to force tech, I could ground throw for decent damage with a base of 270, even better with 240 (the setting me and my friends used).

Now, Tina lost her FT setups completely and with a base of 300, her ground throws are laughable at best, especially because she always gets the 20-damage one instead of the 30-damage ones. BESIDES, she lost an untechable when connecting :4::P+K: and BT:P+K: and the supposed guaranteed one after :7::K: is very difficult to get because that kick is extremely slow.

So, unless I'm missing something, which I'm pretty sure am, Tina's ground game is heavily nerfed.

Doa_Eater

So, unless I'm missing something, which I'm pretty sure am, Tina's ground game is heavily nerfed.

But at least throws got buffed, and as VirtuaPAi said its just a guess,which could lead you to mess up everything. All of the oki got nerfed.

TRI Mike

I honestly don't think they were "buffed". A HC J.O.Cyclone in vanilla took 120 damage, that was 50% life with a base of 240 (the settings I used). Now, that same grab takes 132 damage but with 300 life it's actually weaker. If I land two of those now, the opponent still has 36 life points to hold me to death. It's not a buff.

phoenix1985gr

I honestly don't think they were "buffed". A HC J.O.Cyclone in vanilla took 120 damage, that was 50% life with a base of 240 (the settings I used). Now, that same grab takes 132 damage but with 300 life it's actually weaker. If I land two of those now, the opponent still has 36 life points to hold me to death. It's not a buff.

Ok but you cant use your standards for vanilla and TN standards for this... You could say assuming you still will play on 240 nothing is stoping you from doing so 132dmg for 240 health is a buff, or you could use in both versions the TN standard which 132 from 300 compared to 120 to 270 i would say its about the same

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
-You know what...even with DOA4 I didn't ever do force techs. I have never seen it beneficial in the long run. Guaranteed damage is always better than having to make to force a guessing game, unless you know the odds are heavily in your favor.

I did some, definitely not with Tina, but I'm talking DOA5 Tina. I thought they were pretty useful. Forcing people up and going for a mega throw or catch throw or just continuing with another 6f+k and doing it again? It was cool.

Last edited:

TRI Mike

Yeah the FT was fantastic. I almost never lost the trade there and the possibility to mix it up with :214::P: was even better.

CatzDaLegit

Tina Purist
Premium Donor
Yeah there was more play with the force up. Sometimes I'd go for 46p and guard break them for an advantage along with either mega throw, catch throw, or run the train again with 6f+k. I had options man! All this WITH guaranteed down throw option too, which I WOULD use if they had that much left remaining.. Now I just got the down throw so I gotta do it no matter what :/

TRI Mike

If all her ground throws took 30-40 points instead of just 20-30 then I'd be fine with having to use them. But we lost FT and the 300 life bar makes all ground throws look worthless.

OolongTea

Is it worth getting less damage at the end of a juggle to make them stay closer to you?
For example, instead of doing 41236T, doing something like 33kp.
After that you're at +0 I think, but the 2P+K at close distance will sometimes go to a weird angle and evade anything they do, and the kick extension will beat low wakeup kicks and sometimes it will make the mid wakeup kick whiff. If it hits you get a free ground throw and reset the situation.

Someone here mentioned sidestep K to beat the wake-up kicks, I don't think it works :( against mid kicks the best I could do was Holds and a well spaced 46T (then, they're being predictable)

Doa_Eater

Is it worth getting less damage at the end of a juggle to make them stay closer to you?
For example, instead of doing 41236T, doing something like 33kp.

Depending on the environment, if its open battle stage, like doa, or dojo i say yes.

Also guys can we all agree that her best tech move is down punch now? Not quite sure but it got some reach.

PacManila

Meh, id does, but not like here are no options after it. Better then wiffing anything else imo.

I guess so. For me, I end up missing the tech because either the opponent got up quickly enough from the ground to make my attack whiff or my attack just miraculously whiffs because they weren't on the ground long enough 0.o. The times I do go for the tech, I use 2K since I don't have to get in too close to them to attack.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD