The Scrolls of Tenjinmon: Kasumi's Gameplay Thread

HiguraShiki

I am starting to play as Kasumi, so I'll be hanging around the Kasumi section.
How exactly are you supposed to play Kasumi? Do you play the stun game with her? Go for guaranteed damage? Rush down? Space?
Basically, what is the short, general summary of what to aim for when playing Kasumi.

Brute

Standard Donor
Your speed will almost always beat out your opponent's options, but guessing wrong will leave you very unsafe. Whiffing will be one of your biggest points of concern. Basically, your goal is to never relent (hopping over downed opponents with 9P is very nice for avoiding the wake-up kick game and punishing their whiff, and should be used far more than 7P in similar situations). Since a lot of her combos have good mix-ups (see her various 2K trips from punch combos), aggression is usually rewarded. Only break your attacks to keep the opponent guessing. 3H helps for getting out of tight spots, as do her crushes. 4PP and 1PP are very useful. You're mobile, but you actually don't want to be caught too much in the spacing game. Keep in tight, where your speed will thrive.

Also, NEVER use 66T.

That's what works for me, anyway.

HiguraShiki

What are the full uses of 9P? Im using to avoid the wakeup game right now but can it be used anywhere else?
9PK would do a summersault kick, from there you can either press P+K and do the teleport hit or press 6P+K and teleport towards the opponent. The second option is good for when they block.
@Brute: I actually think 66T works very well. If you do 66T, T you get a guaranteed setup that force techs your opponent.
:6::6::H+P::5::H+P:, :7::K::5::6::P+K::K:,:5::7::K::5::P+K:

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
@HiguraShiki She's a rushdown. You don't wanna get caught constantly turtling with her. Try to stay on the attack for the most part of the fight. She has very fast pokes that puts foes in a stun. Her Bnb combo is the H+K, 6K (It launches after H+K) then follow up with KK7K 6P+KKK,works the best after the 4PP stuns.. She has other options as well after 4PP you could do 4PK (Launcher), then follow up with PP7K 6P+KKK, or this 10 hit combo: 4PP, 6P, 4KK, 2P, PPKK. Just avoid being predictable with the move. Hope some of this helps. I haven't been online lately, but when I do get back on, if you want more training & help, I'll be glad to help you.

Edit: If possible, launch with 236T or when they crouch use 1T. How you put your guaranteed launch combos & damage is on you, but I will tell you that it takes a lot of practice to flex your muscle memory with her juggles (teleport k's p's etc). Once you learn them, it's a treat.

Paradise

What the max damage juggle after 236T launch?

Her Bnb combo is the H+K, 6K (It launches after H+K) then follow up with KK7K 6P+KKK
And thank you so much for this combo! I usually just cancel into her stance and go for the force tech after K but this damage is so much more worth it.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Not sure because I haven't been on lately nor do I have my book but here's the best juggle so you can check it. It'll take some time to get use to:

236T (1T on crouch & also 46H hold launch), KK7K 6P+K K PP6P6K

Edit: NP that's why were all here. To up our game lol

Paradise

Ive found that the Hoshinpo cancel (Into K) after H+K is still useful for discouraging people from sidestepping H+K since it tracks.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
A lot of her moves track. That can be used as a defensive weapon to get in closer or you can use it & then poke (If you can work it in your game) or the K option but that 1 is pretty risky.

Murakame

I am starting to play as Kasumi, so I'll be hanging around the Kasumi section.
How exactly are you supposed to play Kasumi? Do you play the stun game with her? Go for guaranteed damage? Rush down? Space?
Basically, what is the short, general summary of what to aim for when playing Kasumi.

Do not turtle or space. Kasumi has anti turtling moves from her hoshinpo dash but she is not built to space. All her moves that have any range to them are not the greatest and are better used as whiff punishers. On the offensive use her jabs, mid punches, crushes and the occasional low for chip damage. Free cancel here and there to go for a 236T or 33T for nice damage. Also alot of people neglect this but she has strings that transition her into hoshinpo like P6P. From hoshinpo she can get a 65 damage throw, a elbow that causes sitdown stun on hit and a small launch with K. Stuff like this aids your mixup because if your opponent doesn't respect the P or K followup to P6P they get stunned. Most people don't want to get stunned so you can get away with attempting a hoshinpo attack. Use safe attacks, or attacks where the followups have to be respected. For example if the opponent thinks they can try to interrupt you after PP, completing the string with 6PK is not only safe but if it hits, they are stunned. I believe 6PK tracks so it also keeps them from trying to sidestep out of your pressure. PP2K is also a good string to use because that stun allows you to get a grab or extend the stun if people try to attack you. Most people usually block after getting stunned by PP2K so you can get 236T often. Watch how your opponent responds to the stun and follow up accordingly. Just don't abuse PP2K because people will catch on and start blocking low and this string is hella unsafe on block.

On the defensive your jab, 4PP and 1PP are your best friends. Her parries are good as well. Her advanced parries put her in hoshinpo so sometimes you can get off a T which looks so sexy because its like damn near instant. Just be careful with it because you can be hit out of the throw. 4PP is so good because the stun it causes allows you to follow up with H+K (high) or 4H+K (mid) both of which cause a stun that leads to a guaranteed launch and 100+ damage combo.

Murakame

What do you we do against Fag Wong?
Block. 1P. 2P, 3P. He is no trouble for Kasumi at all the only thing she needs to watch out for are his high crushes. Once Brad Wong is off the ground go to town with your superior attacks and speed. I'm not joking brad players will try to confuse you and trip you up by delaying his strings and mixing in a couple of crushes but thats really all they can do. If you are patient and nail him with a well timed 1P/ 2P or 3P you have the advantage because either:

1. 2P was a counter hit, thus giving you frame advantage.
2.1P was a counter hit, allowing you to combo his ass.
3. 3P was a counter hit, allowing you to combo his ass harder.
4. Any of the above pokes knocked him on his ass.

EDIT: While I'm at it is 3P a "true mid"? I've seen 6P whiff on helena before but 3P never fails me.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I was in the lab & I checked all of these moves. I'm putting counter & hi counter:

PPK (same as h+k) 6K PKK7K 6P+K KK (104 counter, 123 Hi Counter)

Need everybody to check this 1. I've tried it several times even with slow escape & it worked. Just wanting to know if it actually works: PPPK (wait til she turns back around) & then 6K PKK7K 6P+K 6K PKK7KK (101 counter, 123 Hi counter)

H+K 6K PKK7K 6P+Kkk (104 counter , 122 hi counter)

4PP 4H+K 3H+K PKK7K 6P+KKK (118 counter, 140 hi counter)

236T 6K PPKK (76 counter, 91 hi counter)

236T KK7K 6P+K K PP6P6K (87 counter, 107 hi counter)

1T KK7K 6P+K K PP6P6K (72 counter)

46H 6K PPKK (72 counter)

46H KK7K 6P+K K PP6P6K (84 counter)

Note: Frame data was said to be 2 frames behind so I +2 on the numbers

Murakame

Need everybody to check this 1. I've tried it several times even with slow escape & it worked. Just wanting to know if it actually works: PPPK (wait til she turns back around) & then 6K PKK7K 6P+K 6K PKK7KK (101 counter, 123 Hi counter)

She does that same kick for 3PK and 6H+K. Going by the frame data it should work on SE because it gives +11 but the opponent is back turned so it actually gives +16. 6K is a 15 frame attack so that's supposed to be enough advantage to connect with it but the game is buggy. Let's dojo when we get the chance and test it out.

Keylay

She does that same kick for 3PK and 6H+K. Going by the frame data it should work on SE because it gives +11 but the opponent is back turned so it actually gives +16. 6K is a 15 frame attack so that's supposed to be enough advantage to connect with it but the game is buggy. Let's dojo when we get the chance and test it out.

Also remember that you have to add 2 frames to any attack so :6::K: is actually a 17 frame attack. I remember I tested it out and I believe the kick will only hit if you're in open stance.

This seems a little unreal lol. Is the first 6K supposed to launch them or stun them?

I use :3::P::K: a lot against opponents that don't slow escape so I can reset the critical stun. I'll either do a raw :3::P::K: in anticipation of getting a counter hit or I'll stun the opponent first and then follow up with :3::P::K:. After it hits, I'll followup with:

:6::6::P::5::K::K::7::K::5::6::P::+::K::5::P::K::K::7::K::5::6::P::+::K::K::K: (Damage: 103)

:3::P::K: is +19 on hit and :6::6::P: takes 20 frames (18 + 2 extra) to hit. So just as the opponent recovers from :3::P::K:, they are left in a back turned state and it takes 5 frames for them to turn around. So when :6::6::P: hits, they are put into a new critical stun. So they have have to slow escape at least 5 frames to get out. You can also do :6::h::+::K: but that leaves you at +20 on hit so :6::6::P: might hit before they recover from the first critical stun. But depending on the stance, it requires an extra frame or two for the :6::6::P: to hit if the opponent is pushed away after :3::P::K:

I'll usually do it on people who spam low counters since that avoids :h::+::K:.

Murakame

:3::P::K: is +19 on hit and :6::6::P: takes 20 frames (18 + 2 extra) to hit. So just as the opponent recovers from :3::P::K:, they are left in a back turned state and it takes 5 frames for them to turn around. So when :6::6::P: hits, they are put into a new critical stun.

Why not just follow 3PK with 6K if you assume they aren't slow escaping? 6K will launch.

Allan Paris

Although it is the same stun nothing is guaranteed from 3PK. If you are hitting people from that stun they are allowing it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD