DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

David Gregg

I've said it a million times:

Make him a midweight
Give him a faster mid
Give him some unshakable advantage from 7P CH

If he got those three things, he'd actually be in a good spot.

YES! TN hasn't completely forgot about him at least. 6P+K buff was nice but he needs more!

Rapham0n

I'd kill for Eliot to not be a super lightweight with a fucking 14f mid.

I personally think they should have gone for realism with the weight classes, instead of... whatever the hell it is they tried to go for. It should have been like this:

Atomweight:
:marierose: :ayane:

Strawweight:
:alpha152: :phase4: :kasumi: :kasumi-alpha: :kokoro: :pai: :hitomi: :helena: :momiji: :leifang: :mila:

Flyweight:
:lisa: :sarah: :eliot: :tina:

Bantamweight:
:christie: :rachel:

Featherweight:
N/A (Place for possible future characters)

Lightweight:
:rig:

Welterweight:
:ein: :hayate: :jannlee: :jacky: :bradwong:

Middleweight:
:genfu: :hayabusa: :zack: :akira:

Light Heavyweight:

Heavyweight:
:bayman:

Super Heavyweight:
:raidou: :leon: :genra: :bass: :tengu: :spartan:

NOTE: The reason why Shiden and Nyotengu are not on the list is because their weight has never been revealed.

EDIT: Updated post to include all weight divisions that are recognised by the world of MMA.

Last edited:

Argentus

Sorry for quoting old posts but

I think it's how "Japanese" the character is. Though the Japanese do play the game fairly differently to the Western players

Can you elaborate?
Mortal Kombat 9. If you're not using Kenshi, Kabal or Cyrax then you may as well GTFO. The game is unbalanced as hell. Which is a shame really, since it's such a fun game. Oh and back in 2009 vanilla Street Fighter IV was pretty dang unbalanced too.

I used Sheeva, said to be like the worst character ever, and absolutely dominated unless the opponent got lucky and caught me in some death loop. Hell only characters that gave Sheeva trouble were Noob and Cyrax.
I dont want to start anything, I am just genuinely intersted why you would think that. I am very open to new ideas and opinions, so it would be very much appreciated if you pointed out your reasoning behind this very briefly, because, after thinking about it, I just cant find a reason why tina should be the worst character in the game.

To me she is just a solid mid tier character with a strong damage output.
Tina is one of the few characters I dread facing. I still can't figure out the how, but between my wakeups being apparently completely disabled when she knocks me down, and her stupid back flip slam being partially invincible, her lows being deceptively fast, and her oh grapples, she is a nightmare opponent for my play style.

I personally think they should have gone for realism with the weight classes, instead of... whatever the hell it is they tried to go for. It should have been like this:

Flyweight:
:marierose: :ayane: :alpha152: :phase4: :kasumi: :kasumi-alpha: :kokoro: :pai: :hitomi: :helena: :momiji: :leifang: :mila: :lisa: :sarah: :eliot: :tina:

Bantamweight:
:christie: :rachel:

Featherweight:

Lightweight:
:rig:

Welterweight:
:ein: :hayate: :jannlee: :jacky: :bradwong:

Middleweight:
:genfu: :hayabusa: :zack: :akira:

Light Heavyweight:

Heavyweight:
:bayman:

Super Heavyweight:
:raidou: :leon: :genra: :bass: :spartan: :tengu:
The hell do you mean by fly weight? Cause I'm pretty sure that the larger girls like Tina mila and Lisa weigh a helluva lot more than say, Marie Rose or the ninjas.

Though if it were being more honest to the characters, Nicole would have completely unlaunchable (like how you ckukdnt grapple The Blob back in Xmen Next Dimensions.)

And that's not even getting into how a living tank like the superhesvyweights should be stem rolling through the lightweights.

Rapham0n

The hell do you mean by fly weight? Cause I'm pretty sure that the larger girls like Tina mila and Lisa weigh a helluva lot more than say, Marie Rose or the ninjas.

Though if it were being more honest to the characters, Nicole would have completely unlaunchable (like how you ckukdnt grapple The Blob back in Xmen Next Dimensions.)

And that's not even getting into how a living tank like the superhesvyweights should be stem rolling through the lightweights.

I've updated my previous post.

Also, the weight classes in DOA all the way to DOA5U are not arranged according to realism, (in other words they are not arranged according to the characters listed weight). Team Ninja cherry-picked the weight class for each character for the sake of balancing purposes. The only problem is in the end it didn't work out so well. With what Team Ninja tried to do we ended up with some characters being in weight classes that don't make any sense. IMHO for DOA6 they should forget about their own specially created weight classes and instead sort the characters based on realism, (in other words sort the characters according to their listed weight), and following UFC and/or other real world MMA rules:

Atomweight: under 106 lbs (under 48 kg)
Strawweight: 106 lbs to 115 lbs (48 kg to 52 kg)
Flyweight: 116 lbs to 125 lbs (53 kg to 56 kg)
Bantamweight: 126 lbs to 135 lbs (57 kg to 61 kg)
Featherweight: 136 lbs to 145 lbs (62 kg to 66 kg)
Lightweight: 146 lbs to 155 lbs (66 kg to 70 kg)
Welterweight: 156 lbs to 170 lbs (71 kg to 77 kg)
Middleweight: 171 lbs to 185 lbs (78 kg to 84 kg)
Light Heavyweight: 186 lbs to 205 lbs (84 kg to 93 kg)
Heavyweight: 206 lbs to 265 lbs (93 kg to 120 kg)
Super Heavyweight: above 265 lbs (above 120 kg)

If they did that everything would make way more sense, and the weight classes list would look like the list in my previous post.

Oh and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyweight_(MMA)

EDIT: updated post to include all weight classes that are recognised by the world of MMA.

Last edited:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
On page 56, Mr. Wah listed her at B tier in between Jacky and Hayabusa.

She's just listed there due to the lack of experience/fact bases numbers and discussions. As long as there are no MU's which rate a character lower or higher to other characters, they stay at the neutral number 5, that's why she's still listed a B tier. People may already have some figures in mind, they just haven't shared them here yet.

P4 is bottom tier right?

Yes, she is.

Last edited:

Zero Beat

Yeah, I can see that. Making her Kasumi Light really hurt her, and her teleports only working on hit or guard break (for which she only has one teleport cancel) hurts her pressure game severely. Finally, aside from 6PP which doesn't really allow much room to follow up with a juggle, her strike launchers are all kicks. I'm still going to get really good as her one day, maybe even tournament level. It's going to be a long road though. Still a lot of fun to play as.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
We really won't know that until you've seen more of her, at least I haven't. Like I don't think she's as bad as some think. It's just that she's bad in a major area in the game to the point that it makes people not want to play her, which is in the neutral game. She requires someone who really studies match ups.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Finally, aside from 6PP which doesn't really allow much room to follow up with a juggle, her strike launchers are all kicks.

Nah, she has enough punch launchers as well.

I think it's not that difficult to get the idea of how she ends up in the tier list if you just take a look at her tools and frame data. For example, if you just list up her pro's and con's ...

Pros:
  • is able to outpoke the opponent with her i9 jab and/or neutral i12 low
  • high damage output in general
  • good juggle options/strong mixup
  • great environment/wall/ceiling game

Cons:
  • very unsafe (only ~7 safe/semi-safe moves, no move that is + on block, one [actually useless] guard break)
  • inadequate counter-hit tools (e.g. her fastest mid still loses to some characters i11 mids if these are on -1 or shares their damage)
  • moderate spacing tools
  • lightweight
  • lack of variable strings
  • lack of guaranteed damage
  • lack of tracking tools
  • no parries
  • struggles to open the opponent up

... the cons currently overwhelm the pros (imo).

However, since it's also said that a tier is also determined through how the character succeeds in tournaments/competitive play, I agree that there is more observation needed before some clear figures can be set.

Last edited:

Zero Beat

Clearly I need to take another look at her punches and find some launchers. To the lab! And I just remembered 33P. Ugh, I hate how my brain doesn't work when I wake up before noon.

Last edited:

synce

We really won't know that until you've seen more of her, at least I haven't. Like I don't think she's as bad as some think. It's just that she's bad in a major area in the game to the point that it makes people not want to play her, which is in the neutral game. She requires someone who really studies match ups.

I don't think MU knowledge has anything to do with it really. To win as P4 your opponent just has to make a lot of mistakes, there's no other way. I've found that if they play it safe and smart there's nothing P4 can do.

I have no idea why TN gave her such shitty frames when she doesn't have strings to rely on. She's kind of like a poor attempt at a VF character. If they'd just give her some frame advantage and add a couple OH's she could be interesting.

Anyway my prediction for SJ8 is that you'll see a few people try to use her then immediately switch back to their main when it doesn't work out.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD