DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Jefffcore

I'm on ps4.

You're talking about 214p? That only works if the opponent holds, does it not?

No on plays the stun game better than Leon, also. It definitely gets better than hayabusa or raidou.

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm on ps4.
Which I also don't have.

You're talking about 214p? That only works if the opponent holds, does it not?
It connects after 6K and I don't believe it can be staggered after 6P+K, either.
Note how his wide array of lift stun hit levels have synergy with this move.

No on plays the stun game better than Leon, also. It definitely gets better than hayabusa or raidou.
Ryu plays it better than Leon. His highs are deeper and his mid Ks are deeper.

Zero Beat

This is just my personal take on the new moves/adjustments for Phase.

Phase's 6P still loses to Kasumi, Jann Lee, Zack, and Gen Fu's 6Ps due to them doing 1 more damage. The pro for Phase is in terms of range - 1.62m for her vs. 1.37 for Kasumi, 1.38 for Jann, and 1.4 for Zack, 1.31 for Gen Fu. Nyo beats them all with her P+K doing 20 though. Not sure what the practical application of that is though.

66K being teleport on block is welcome as it gives her another way to get in and the Tenfu cancel can work anytime before the second strike connects (giving you anywhere from +4 to -5 on the Tenfu itself before following up with P (12 frames), K (23 frames), or T (15 frames)), though the follow-up strikes can be sidestepped and the throw can be avoided via free step, duck, or sidestep right (2H+P+K if your character is on the left, 8H+P+K if your character is on the right (need to test that with the right side to a wall still).

46T leaves her at +10, so that seems like a decent tool to me, and unless I'm SEing wrong, I don't think you can SE that. Can't follow up with P at all since it will whiff and by the time you get to the second P or K, you're already hit, whether 4K and 7K work depends on the opponent (for example, 4K and 7K both work against Bayman and Leon, 4K works against Christie and Rig but not 7K, neither works against Phase, Kasumi or Kokoro, so it seems to depend on character size and stance) or if the opponent tries to strike right after it (4K will be dodged by lows though), but otherwise everything that's equal to or under whatever opponent's jab speed +10 is should be viable, especially her 19 frames or less tracking strikes like 1P, H+K and P+K, then add 6H+K against characters with a 10 frame or slower jab.

This has made her better overall, but not enough to change any of her MUs, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jefffcore

Ryu plays it better than Leon. His highs are deeper and his mid Ks are deeper.
I don't understand how that's relevant. Leon's mid punches are deeper? I don't use highs in stun.

Thinking about it, I will agree with busa playing the stun game better than Raidou. He doesn't quite match up on the hold punishment, and doesn't have any shortcuts to cb. Only guarantee is limbo to 33k.

He isn't better than Leon; if anything they're close to even. They punish the hold side of the 50/50 similarly. I'm not sure who has more guarantees.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't understand how that's relevant. Leon's mid punches are deeper? I don't use highs in stun.
No. They both have easy access to a fast, mid P lift stun. Their i13 mids are both negative on normal hit, deep stuns on CH, and have follow-ups.
More or less, their mid stuns are tied.

He isn't better than Leon; if anything they're close to even. They punish the hold side of the 50/50 similarly. I'm not sure who has more guarantees.
I'm not comparing overall character validity of anyone against Leon. Simply stun capacity between Leon and Ryu, in which Ryu is more versatile and capable within the category.

Jefffcore

I meant better than Leon in the stun game. I'm gonna say they're even.

As far as that matchup, I'd give it too Leon. Better oki, weight class, etc. all hayabusa has on busa is speed, and it's only by jab. 33p.

Not sure about spacing.

Brute

Standard Donor
I meant better than Leon in the stun game. I'm inclined to say they're even.
You're inclined to be mistaken. Ryu's stun game is stronger.

As far as that matchup, I'd give it too Leon. Better oki, weight class, etc. all hayabusa has on busa is speed, and it's only by jab. 33p.

Not sure about spacing.
Ryu has better high pokes and mid K pokes, even outside the stun game. His mid K launches/bounds are also more reliable and powerful. Ryu's holds are also stronger.
Leon is safer, usually nets higher damage, has better lows, OHs, and a more reliable oki.
It's an even MU.

Zero Beat

It will lose to other 11 frame mids, but it's hitbox won't get crushed by moves like Leifang's 3H+K where Kasumi's would.
Thanks. I've also edited my post with more detail about her other stuff. I still need to test her 6P against characters that also have a 17 damage i11 6P, such as Christie.

Last edited:

Jefffcore

Safety in pokes..... Hayabusa has safer pokes? Explain?

The only low I use with Leon is 2p...

It seems to me you look at every character like they play the same? Or should play the same? I'm confused by the importance of some of these.

Brute

Standard Donor
Safety in pokes..... Hayabusa has safer pokes? Explain?
I just said the opposite. I'm beginning to realize you don't actually read what I write.

The only low I use with Leon is 2p...
Okay. Your self-imposed limitations shouldn't affect the MU, though. He has lots of good lows, whether you choose to use them or not is irrelevant.

It seems to me you look at every character like they play the same? Or should play the same? I'm confused by the importance/relevance of some of these.
Everything seems utterly and completely wrong to you.

Jefffcore

I'm clearly dyslexic.

It's not a limitation I'm imposing on myself, it's a matter of need.

I don't understand this need for quantity. You only NEED one high poke. Jab.

Hayabusa has a faster jab, but Leon has better jab strings. What high poke could he have better than Leon's jab, aside from his own?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Hey uh, I just want to point out Raidou has a 13f 2p that's +1 on nh, that's pretty important.

I was moments away writing something similar. I just left it typed here and it was saved by the site but I never sent it because I thought I would write more. But then I said 40 minutes after, nah let me just go back to send the written 2P and voila...Forte beats me to it.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Raidou has the best 2P for a heavy character, that already puts him in a good position in terms of defense. His holds do good damage too. His only major issue in that department is movement.

I personally find Christie to be a safe Kasumi. My point being that Kasumi is fine being unsaf; Christie shouldn't be safe.
With the exception of the main offenders in her move list and the fact that some of her moves have too little recovery for punishment, requiring mashing of a throw punish, most of the problems with MUs against her are just having to deal with her buttons and choosing the right time to interrupt. It comes with a lot of experience.

I find that her not having parries compared to Kasumi is not a major factor considering she has a better defense due to her mid weight.

Her throw damage being less than Kasumi makes sense considering that Kasumi is already paying the price with being as unsafe as she is and there's more holding involved against Christie.

I think Christie is as unsafe as Kasumi, except that she's harder to punish.

However, both should die in a fire.

THE_WORST_KOKORO

Standard Donor
So... are the tier-list measured by the tools, stuns, movesets, mobility?

Because honestly for me in a game like DOA where literally anything could happen, I can't really build a tier list.
Also, some of the tier lists I see... are pretty biased and/or go by who plays [Insert character name here] exceedingly well...

I bid you all ado~...

Lulu

So... are the tier-list measured by the tools, stuns, movesets, mobility?

Because honestly for me in a game like DOA where literally anything could happen, I can't really build a tier list.
Also, some of the tier lists I see... are pretty biased and/or go by who plays [Insert character name here] exceedingly well...

I bid you all ado~...

I would also like to know The Tier List Criteria and how it all comes together.
Usually I'l just assume the fast and safe characters will be on top.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I would also like to know The Tier List Criteria and how it all comes together.
Usually I'l just assume the fast and safe characters will be on top.

Tier Lists are generally based on the average of a character's MU's, which are generally determined by measuring overall tools against each other. The faster and/or safer characters are not necessarily near the top. Someone fast like Phase-4 (and Alpha-152 sometimes but she's questionable) is generally considered lower tier and someone slower like Rachel is considered higher tier. Pai has the best balance between speed and safety and I think she's mid tier at best.

Lulu

Tier Lists are generally based on the average of a character's MU's, which are generally determined by measuring overall tools against each other. The faster and/or safer characters are not necessarily near the top. Someone fast like Phase-4 (and Alpha-152 sometimes but she's questionable) is generally considered lower tier and someone slower like Rachel is considered higher tier. Pai has the best balance between speed and safety and I think she's mid tier at best.

But I don't kmow how to determine matchups :(

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD